Report: Cowboys move money around in La’el Collins’ contract

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Cowboys move money around in La’el Collins’ contract
Posted by Charean Williams on February 2, 2018, 5:18 PM EST

The Cowboys frequently move money around in contracts, creating more cap space.

They already have started that process this offseason, having converted some of La'el Collins‘ 2018 salary into a signing bonus, Field Yates of ESPN reports. Collins will get $150,000 now as part of a signing bonus, allowing the Cowboys to spread the bonus over the next two years.

Collins, an undrafted free agent in 2015, has two years remaining on his deal.

He moved from left guard to right tackle in 2017 after Doug Free retired. He allowed five sacks, according to STATS, Inc., and was called for three holding penalties.
----------

This is like watching a kid count the pennies in his piggy bank.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Certainly there is a reason for this besides creating 75,000 in cap space or whatever

midswat

... soon
How bad off are we that we need to do this?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
How bad off are we that we need to do this?
We are in bad shape if we have to use the franchise tag on Lawrence but not really sure this move would really do anything. I wonder if Collins asked for it to get cash because it doesnt really seem to make much of a dent??

p1_

DCC 4Life
makes you wonder why this was even worthy of mention.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It’s just a Dallas Cowboys event so it gets reported. I don’t really know what prompted it other than just a housekeeping matter for him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are in bad shape if we have to use the franchise tag on Lawrence but not really sure this move would really do anything. I wonder if Collins asked for it to get cash because it doesnt really seem to make much of a dent??
Yeah in terms of cap we are actually for once in very good shape.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We’re 18 mil under and that’s well below what half the teams have available.

We really squandered our talent last year. We have a lot of talent, but man it’s heavily weighted to the OL. Lawrence’s deal is about all we can responsibly add.

We’ve got to make more of what we have and hopefully add a couple of value players.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’re 18 mil under and that’s well below what half the teams have available.

We really squandered our talent last year. We have a lot of talent, but man it’s heavily weighted to the OL. Lawrence’s deal is about all we can responsibly add.

We’ve got to make more of what we have and hopefully add a couple of value players.
It why we need to cut bait on guys counting 17 mil against our cap but aren't giving a Pro Bowl level performance.

Cap space is also funny in the way that it carries over from one year to the next. So a team like the Browns literally may have 109 mil in cap space but if they were to spend it all a lot of it would need to be one year contracts. Because a ton of that money is carry over money from the previous season. So if you eat it all up, next year they wouldn't have any carry over and they would be in massive cap trouble. So it's a little deceptive like that.

junk

Not So New Member
It why we need to cut bait on guys counting 17 mil against our cap but aren't giving a Pro Bowl level performance.

Cap space is also funny in the way that it carries over from one year to the next. So a team like the Browns literally may have 109 mil in cap space but if they were to spend it all a lot of it would need to be one year contracts. Because a ton of that money is carry over money from the previous season. So if you eat it all up, next year they wouldn't have any carry over and they would be in massive cap trouble. So it's a little deceptive like that.
That's easy enough to resolve. Just give a huge first year salary. It's essentially like a signing bonus except it isn't spread out over the life of the contract.

I don't understand the Dallas philosophy of constantly restructuring and pushing money to future years. You just pile up dead money in future years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's easy enough to resolve. Just give a huge first year salary. It's essentially like a signing bonus except it isn't spread out over the life of the contract.

I don't understand the Dallas philosophy of constantly restructuring and pushing money to future years. You just pile up dead money in future years.
That's true but when you think of an elite player, they are getting 60+ mil signing bonuses these days. So all of that Browns money would essentially equate to a free elite position player or two. Which don't get me wrong is awesome.

Of course doing the reverse is also the same. Kicking money down the road allows you to have a couple of extra big time players now that you wouldn't have otherwise. You're just doing the same thing in reverse. And unlike a credit card you're not paying an interest rate. If anything with the way the NFL cap goes up every year you're actually probably winning on the deal. But everyone is so programmed with real life where saving money is what you should do as opposed to spending above your means that it feels wrong in the NFL. Maybe that's why teams like the Eagles, Chiefs and Steelers aren't so worried about spending freely. They know they can always just kick the can down the road again.

Top Bottom