Tuls | Dallas Cowboys Pre-Combine 7 Round Mock

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tuls | Dallas Cowboys Pre-Combine 7 Round Mock

By
Jonah Tuls
Published on January 26, 2018

The Dallas Cowboys finished with a record of 9-7 in a tumultuous season of injuries, suspensions, and disappointment.

Fans are now forced to put their trust in the brain trust of Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and Will McClay this offseason to help get this team back in position for a playoff run. As avid followers of the Cowboys know, they do not like to spend in free agency, so drafting good players and filling needs at the same time is especially vital.

With that being said, here is one of the realistic scenarios I came up with via the FanSpeak machine. Keep in mind that the compensatory picks are projected by the OverTheCap.

First Round – Vita Vea, DT, Washington

The Dallas Cowboys are in desperate need of defensive tackle depth, especially if David Irving walks, and Washington’s Vita Vea is clearly one of the most talented defensive linemen in this draft. If he indeed falls to 19, I expect Dallas to run to the podium because he immediately fills their problem inside at the one technique position with his rare traits of strength, quickness, and three-down potential at his size.

This front office does not usually value a one technique this high, but I bet philosophical changes are on the horizon after what this team showed in 2017.

Second Round – James Daniels, OG/C, Iowa

Another hole the Cowboys need to fill this offseason is the left guard spot. Jonathan Cooper’s future with the team is unknown given his contract status, and Chaz Green looks like a lost cause heading into his third season. In one of the deepest interior OL classes in years, the Cowboys front office may be able to get an opening day starter in the draft, as opposed to opening up the wallet for an average free agent.

This brings me to Iowa’s James Daniels, who started at center for the Hawkeyes over the last two seasons. He declared early, and for good reason because he is one of the most talented interior offensive linemen I’ve scouted in this draft class. Daniels has the mobility to move to guard and thrive in a ZBS. If Daniels lands in a ZBS running offense like the one Dallas runs, I think he could be a better guard than center.

Third Round – DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State

The player who helped himself the most during the pre-draft all star game cycle has been Penn State wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton. Not only did he dominate at the East-West Shrine game, but he then was called up to Mobile for the Senior Bowl and dominated there.

Dallas has a logjam of bad wide receiver contracts, but they have a chance to upgrade the Z wide receiver spot opposite of Dez Bryant in this draft with a deep crop of talent at the position. Hamilton is one of the best receivers in this class at getting open with nuanced routes and foot quickness, something this team lacks.

Fourth Round – Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii

This Cowboys secondary is young and talented, but the safety positon is still a little bit up in the air with the thought that Byron Jones could move to boundary cornerback or centerfielder with Kris Richard in the fold.

Therefore, a solid, interchangeable depth piece at safety would be Hawaii’s Trayvon Henderson, who looked like the best safety in Mobile during the Senior Bowl. His man coverage skills, range, and downhill physicality will intrigue this front office.

Fourth Round (compensation) – Holton Hill, CB, Texas

I’m of the philosophy that you can never have enough cornerbacks, and with all of these compensatory picks, I at least want to swing for the fences on one of them. Texas cornerback Holton Hill is a top 50 talent who will likely be off of multiple teams’ boards due to plenty of off-field issues. However, I think he is a starting cornerback in this league who fits everything Kris Richard likes in a cornerback with his 6’3 length, speed, and run support reliability on the boundary, if he can stay out of trouble.

Fifth Round (compensation) – Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado

Phillip Lindsay is one of the most intriguing running backs in this class at catching the football out of the backfield. He has excellent COD skills that should give linebackers fits in man coverage at the next level. The receiving production also matches the traits as he attained 103 catches for 966 yards over the last three seasons. Lindsay could be in line for a Lance Dunbar kind of role here with Chris Thompson potential.

Fifth Round (compensation) – Joe Ostman, EDGE, Central Michigan

Joe Ostman is another sleeper prospect who balled out at the East-West Shrine game. He is a fifth-year senior edge defender who racked up 21 sacks and 33 tackles for a loss over the last two seasons. The production is there, and he does have some pass rush traits to work with for a mid round prospect.

Sixth Round – Greg Senat, OT, Wagner

George Senat is a physically-imposing player at 6’8, 290, with a basketball background. He is still fairly “green” in football experience, so his technique is incredibly raw and not ready for NFL snaps. The Cowboys have taken on projects like this before, and I could see them pulling the trigger on Senat and being patient with him as a potential swing tackle.

Seventh Round – Secdrick Cooper, CB/S, Louisiana Tech

In this portion of the draft, you have to take guys you don’t want to fight for after the draft. With multiple young draft picks in the secondary on this roster, hybrid defensive back Secdrick Cooper fits the mold here. He can play either in the slot or in the back end as a safety who can cover tight ends and play two-deep. His athleticism and versatility should warrant the attention of Marinelli and Richard.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't mind that draft at all. Love Vea, like the OL, WR, gadget back and a safety. I wouldn't mind taking a flier/swing at the thug Antonio Calloway in the 4th or 5th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, I'm ok with the first 3 picks but it goes off the rails at that point in my opinion. Even still it looks like a lot of singles and doubles but I don't know if you are going to hit on any franchise type guys with those picks.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Meh, I'm ok with the first 3 picks but it goes off the rails at that point in my opinion. Even still it looks like a lot of singles and doubles but I don't know if you are going to hit on any franchise type guys with those picks.
Vea isn't a franchise type guy?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vea isn't a franchise type guy?
Oh I like Vea don't get me wrong. I'd be all for drafting him. But I also don't think he's going to be a annual probowler type either. It's pretty rare that a 1 technique in the NFL even gets a big second contract with his team.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Oh I like Vea don't get me wrong. I'd be all for drafting him. But I also don't think he's going to be a annual probowler type either. It's pretty rare that a 1 technique in the NFL even gets a big second contract with his team.
Yeah that is a good point. You have to admit though we're pretty weak up the middle. If we get Vea and Irving and Lawrence and Charlton we have a pretty active and strong front four. If Gregory actually gets reinstated and plays, we could really get after it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah that is a good point. You have to admit though we're pretty weak up the middle. If we get Vea and Irving and Lawrence and Charlton we have a pretty active and strong front four. If Gregory actually gets reinstated and plays, we could really get after it.
Yeah no he is a perfect final piece for the Dline. We already have the big time pass rushing 3 technique and I think we have a couple of young talented DEs in Lawrence and Taco. He basically completes the rebuild of the Dline and then you can just sort of restock annually with young talent.

Sort of what Star does for the Panthers. I think it's very underrated. But when forced to make a pick he is the guy who doesn't get the big extension.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with this, although drafting Daniels in the 2nd to play a position he never played in college is a little shaky. I get that he's a really nice fit stylistically given his mobility and so forth but it seems a little "too smart for your own good" type of a pick.

Vea, Hamilton, and Henderson in the 1st, 3rd and 4th would be solid.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with this, although drafting Daniels in the 2nd to play a position he never played in college is a little shaky. I get that he's a really nice fit stylistically given his mobility and so forth but it seems a little "too smart for your own good" type of a pick.

Vea, Hamilton, and Henderson in the 1st, 3rd and 4th would be solid.
You think going from center to guard is a tough transition? Seems to me like going the other way is more difficult.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine with this, although drafting Daniels in the 2nd to play a position he never played in college is a little shaky.
Not totally true. He started a couple games at guard for us. But yeah the vast majority of his career was at center. Really young guy too, I think he is only 20.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You think going from center to guard is a tough transition? Seems to me like going the other way is more difficult.
I don't think it's tough necessarily but I do think spending a 2nd on a guy who has barely played the position is a bit questionable considering that Cooper was more or less fine at LG and can probably be re-signed relatively cheap.

Taking a guy like Will Hernandez or Isaiah Wynn in the 2nd is one thing, they are clear and obvious upgrades, Daniels may be an upgrade but he could also be a guy like Frederick who is better off at C than G.

I wouldn't be dead-set against it, I could easily see Daniels being a nice pick there, but it kind of seems like an unnecessary risk.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't care for any of the last four picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's tough necessarily but I do think spending a 2nd on a guy who has barely played the position is a bit questionable considering that Cooper was more or less fine at LG and can probably be re-signed relatively cheap.

Taking a guy like Will Hernandez or Isaiah Wynn in the 2nd is one thing, they are clear and obvious upgrades, Daniels may be an upgrade but he could also be a guy like Frederick who is better off at C than G.

I wouldn't be dead-set against it, I could easily see Daniels being a nice pick there, but it kind of seems like an unnecessary risk.
Gurode is another guy who was far better at center than guard. I don't think that's going to be the case with Daniels after watching him the last three years. Again I would like for him to be a Cowboy but it wouldn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings in the second round either. If I'm taking an O-lineman that high in the draft yet again I want to feel really good about the player. Shit I'm not even sure I really want Wynn and I know he is well worth our second round pick.

Top Bottom