Chiefs trade Alex Smith to Washington, saving $17 million

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Chiefs trade Alex Smith to Washington, saving $17 million
By Terez A. Paylor
tpaylor@kcstar.com

January 30, 2018 08:32 PM

Quarterback Alex Smith has a new home, as sources tell The Star that the Chiefs have reached agreement to trade their veteran starter of the last five seasons to Washington.

There is no word on the compensation yet, and any trade involving Smith can’t be completed until the first day of the new league year,
which begins at 3 p.m. on March 14. But the sources say the deal is in place and will proceed.

Smith, 33, is coming off a stellar season in which he set career-highs in passing yards (4,042), touchdowns (26) and passer rating (104.7).

However, Smith was entering the final year of his contract with the Chiefs, and he has a cap number of $20.6 million for 2018. By trading
him, the club stands to save $17 million.

The deal also clears the way for 2017 first-round draft pick Patrick Mahomes to become the Chiefs’ new starting quarterback. Mahomes’ regular-season NFL debut, a 27-24 win over the Denver Broncos on Dec. 31, was a success.

Mahomes completed 22 of 35 passes for 284 yards with an interception in the game and showed poise while leading the Chiefs’ game-winning drive.
“I think he’s got what it takes man,” Denver cornerback Aqib Talib said at the Pro Bowl. “He’s got a super strong arm, he can make all
the throws. He made great reads in our game. I know we had a simple game plan on defense, but he made great reads and took control of the
game.”

Smith was acquired from San Francisco in 2013 for two third-round picks. He posted a 50-26 record as a starter since arriving in
Kansas City and has made two straight Pro Bowl appearances.
This story will be updated.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article197508249.html#storylink=cpy

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is Pat Mahomes time!

Brace yourself for exciting football and a ton of picks for a few years!

midswat

... soon
But Cousins is better than Smith.

Good for us.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

That is a bit crazy.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
But Cousins is better than Smith.

Good for us.
Is it?

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
So KC gets to move on to their young QB and get at least a 2nd for Smith? Looks to me like the Skins really screwed themselves. Smith has done well recently but Washington has a lot more holes on their roster than we do. Just figured they would get their guy in the draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So KC gets to move on to their young QB and get at least a 2nd for Smith? Looks to me like the Skins really screwed themselves. Smith has done well recently but Washington has a lot more holes on their roster than we do. Just figured they would get their guy in the draft.
It apparently will cost them a 2nd. That is not too bad if he can start for two-three years at a decent level.

They will likely roll with him this year, take the future QB next year.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Schefter on Twitter just said it was a 3rd, not a 2nd.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't imagine Cousins getting much more than about 28 per year in free agency at age 30. Is a 34 year old Smith at 23.5 a year, having given up a Day 2 pick+a player, really a better deal?

Cousins is definitely the better player and 4 years younger.

I feel like this is a case of the Skins cutting off their nose to spite their face, and/or the situation with Cousins was just so bungled that he didn't want to stay no matter what they gave him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Good gawd....what the F is Washington thinking?

Cousins is a ton better than Smith will ever be, and if Smith couldn't win under Reid, he damn sure ain't doing nothing in Washington with Gruden.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Fuller was arguably their best CB last year. He tied for the team lead in INT's and is only going into his third season, not to mention he was their best slot CB.

With Bashaud Breeland on the outs and Norman not getting any younger their CB situation seems to be not great.

A Day 2 pick and one of your best players on a rookie deal is a steep price to pay for a 34 year old QB who never has been, nor ever will be elite.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
After about an hour, then Fuller posts this.

They didn't even tell him.

He had to find out via social media.

:lol @ the Redskins

Classy kid though. I can't say I wouldn't have gone apeshit if treated like that.

GShock

DCC 4Life
slurs gave up a 3rd (which they will presumably recoup next year for losing Cousins), and Kendall Fuller, which is a nice piece for KC and really sweetened the deal for them.

Smith is the same age as McNabb when Reid traded him to the slurs. :tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
slurs gave up a 3rd (which they will presumably recoup next year for losing Cousins), and Kendall Fuller, which is a nice piece for KC and really sweetened the deal for them.

Smith is the same age as McNabb when Reid traded him to the slurs. :tippytoe
Reid is an out and out savage.

He raped the Redskins for McNappy (apparently Snyder did not learn from that), the Dolphins for A.J. Feeley and the Cardinals for Kevin Kolb (with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as the corner throw-in). All for premium draft choices.

Pretty impressive. Now, that makes me want to say what I have always said...draft one every year and develop them.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol @ the Redskins.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Reid is an out and out savage.

He raped the Redskins for McNappy (apparently Snyder did not learn from that), the Dolphins for A.J. Feeley and the Cardinals for Kevin Kolb (with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as the corner throw-in). All for premium draft choices.

Pretty impressive. Now, that makes me want to say what I have always said...draft one every year and develop them.
He isn't necessarily developing them, he just knows how to make QB's look better than they are with the short passing game and play to their strengths.

Other teams buy the fool's gold because they don't know how to evaluate QB's and away we go.

Top Bottom