Archer: Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott finds off-field mission

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott finds off-field mission
9:10 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- As Dak Prescott has gained acclaim during the Dallas Cowboys' 5-1 start, the rookie quarterback has laid low in regard to off-field endeavors, but he could not turn down this opportunity.

Prescott has teamed up with Buffalo Wild Wings and their Team Up For Kids mission that helps raise money for local Boys & Girls Clubs.

Last week Prescott helped renovate a field at the Grand Prairie Boys & Girls Club with new bleachers and scoreboard and even threw some passes in a flag football game.

“To use my platform to be able to be inspiring and motivating means a lot,” Prescott said. “If I can change just one kid’s life, I did my job.”

Prescott’s willingness to help began in high school. As noted in this Ian O’Connor column from last week, Prescott made sure an autistic team manager, Kyle Brister, was celebrated after his final game, with the players carrying him off the field.

“It wasn’t like he was part of the team, he was a part of the team,” Prescott said. “It’s something I’ll remember the rest of my life.”

And he hopes to have a similar lasting impact with this venture with Buffalo Wild Wings and the Boys & Girls Club.

Welp, I officially have a man crush.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- As Dak Prescott has gained acclaim during the Dallas Cowboys' 5-1 start, the rookie quarterback has laid low in regard to off-field endeavors, but he could not turn down this opportunity.

Prescott has teamed up with Buffalo Wild Wings and their Team Up For Kids mission that helps raise money for local Boys & Girls Clubs.

Last week Prescott helped renovate a field at the Grand Prairie Boys & Girls Club with new bleachers and scoreboard and even threw some passes in a flag football game.

“To use my platform to be able to be inspiring and motivating means a lot,” Prescott said. “If I can change just one kid’s life, I did my job.”

Prescott’s willingness to help began in high school. As noted in this Ian O’Connor column from last week, Prescott made sure an autistic team manager, Kyle Brister, was celebrated after his final game, with the players carrying him off the field.

“It wasn’t like he was part of the team, he was a part of the team,” Prescott said. “It’s something I’ll remember the rest of my life.”

And he hopes to have a similar lasting impact with this venture with Buffalo Wild Wings and the Boys & Girls Club.

Officially?:lol

Cotton

Staff member
Officially?:lol
:lol

Yeah, I have made it officially official, now. Before it was just me arguing for him. I am now making a commitment to the man. :unsure

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That story about him and his mom is pretty damn sad.

I think he is just a good kid all the way around.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

He's the real deal. Some of the offseason write-ups had me convinced.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Dak is a gift from God to make up for the last 20 years of Jerry's tyranny that we've had to endure. The light at the end of a long, botox-filled tunnel.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just want to caution people how many QBs have looked good initially and then did not have long term staying power. It seems for every Russell Wilson there is also a couple of RGIIIs and Colin Kaepernicks.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just want to caution people how many QBs have looked good initially and then did not have long term staying power. It seems for every Russell Wilson there is also a couple of RGIIIs and Colin Kaepernicks.
The differences between those last 2 has been discussed, yes this could still go south but it will not be the same as those 2.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I never bought into RG3 and especially Kaepernick.

Anyone with half a brain could see Kaepernick was not a QB. He was a runner with a big arm, nothing more.

Both he and RG3 ran their base offense out of the read option/spread.

The difference with Dak is that while we incorporate some read option into what we do, it isn't the basis for how this offense goes. Dak has been asked and has done more in the passing game than those two did their first years.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I never bought into RG3 or Kaepernick either; just saying it is very early.

Cotton

Staff member
The differences between those last 2 has been discussed, yes this could still go south but it will not be the same as those 2.
Smitty's holding on with everything he's got.

Cotton

Staff member
I never bought into RG3 and especially Kaepernick.

Anyone with half a brain could see Kaepernick was not a QB. He was a runner with a big arm, nothing more.

Bothhe and RG3 ran their base offense out of the read option/spread.

The difference with Dak is that while we incorporate some read option into what we do, it isn't the basis for how this offense goes. Dak has been asked and has done more in the passing game than those two did their first years.
It's dumb (sorry for being disrespectful) to even compare those two to Dak. They aren't nor were they ever in the same stratosphere.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I never bought into RG3 or Kaepernick either; just saying it is very early.
It is early and nothing is set in stone yet. It is very possible that he could come back down and not end up being the guy that we think.

I just don't think your examples were good ones due to how limited those other two were, especially Kaep, in regards to passing it around.

Dak is much more polished as a true passer right now than those two were.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is early and nothing is set in stone yet. It is very possible that he could come back down and not end up being the guy that we think.

I just don't think your examples were good ones due to how limited those other two were, especially Kaep, in regards to passing it around.

Dak is much more polished as a true passer right now than those two were.
I agree, not trying to put Dak down as some are asserting. Things that seem to good to be true often are, though, so I'm just saying be careful. As far as it relates to Romo, it's completely irrelevant since any regression ouldnt come till next year using these examples.

Cotton

Staff member
I think Dak might end up a first ballot HOFer.

Just want you guys to be prepared for it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I agree, not trying to put Dak down as some are asserting. Things that seem to good to be true often are, though, so I'm just saying be careful. As far as it relates to Romo, it's completely irrelevant since any regression ouldnt come till next year using these examples.
There does seem to be a "too good to be true" vibe with it, but I'm trying to convince myself that he really is that good and this huge surprise is a gift from the football gods after dealing with 20 years of mostly misery and dysfunction.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There does seem to be a "too good to be true" vibe with it, but I'm trying to convince myself that he really is that good and this huge surprise is a gift from the football gods after dealing with 20 years of mostly misery and dysfunction.
It really is unprecedented, not that he is doing this as a 4th round draft pick but doing this as a 4th rounder a rookie and being a strictly shotgun guy in college.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One of the reasons I don't think Dak comes back down to earth so to speak is that he's a smart guy, a very hard worker, and believes in being fully prepared at all times.

You have to have a certain talent level too of course, but most of the greats seem to have the above traits.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It really is unprecedented, not that he is doing this as a 4th round draft pick but doing this as a 4th rounder a rookie and being a strictly shotgun guy in college.
I don't think it's hyperbole to say that what he's doing defies all logic.

This simply just isn't supposed to happen.

A 1st overall pick like Luck isn't even supposed to come in right away and do what Dak is doing, but it's probably something like a million to one chance that a guy with all of the things you mentioned to have the kind of success he's having.

Let's hope we just found a one in a million QB. :towel

Top Bottom