When Romo is completely healthy, who do you play?

When Romo is completely healthy, who do you play?

• Dak

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • Tony

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I said that we should stick with Dak for now and I'm not backing off of that.

That being said, can we please stop pretending Romo is some mediocre QB who isn't worthy of carrying Dak's jock?

It's getting ridiculous.
It's beyond ridiculous, it's fucking retarded.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's not smart to credit a QB with a team's playoff record. There's like an entire team, coaching staff, and front office involved, all of which we've been highly critical of in Dallas for some time.

To about face and then put it all on Romo is disingenuous.

Dallas plays a certain way with Romo to cover up weaknesses in other places. Historically this approach has gotten them to about .500.

When was the last foundational DT this team has had? What about playmaking LB or Safety who are leaders that stay on the field? Or DB that steps up and consistently makes plays in the secondary?

Outside of some streaks here and there, there's none of the above.

Same with RB's. Julius, Barber, Murray-- all make a brief splash then leave.

What we've had at the foundational positions is Romo and later Dez and Tyron. That combination alone is not enough to make a perennial contender.
Yep.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
There's no doubt Tony has been a great QB but none of us can truly say where he is at right now regardless of health. He hasn't played meaningful football in quite a while. Hell, he barely even practiced in camp. Remember how terrible he was against San Fran in the 2014 opener because he was rusty? Do we want to risk that when we have the kind of momentum we're forcing right now when there's absolutely no other reason to shoehorn him in in other than loyalty? We don't need a gunslinger QB to save us from no talent anymore. Dak's more conservative play isn't as exciting as what Romo does but it's more consistent and less risky and thus better suited for the strong running identity we've established with Zeke.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
There's no doubt Tony has been a great QB but none of us can truly say where he is at right now regardless of health. He hasn't played meaningful football in quite a while. Hell, he barely even practiced in camp. Remember how terrible he was against San Fran in the 2014 opener because he was rusty? Do we want to risk that when we have the kind of momentum we're forcing right now when there's absolutely no other reason to shoehorn him in in other than loyalty? We don't need a gunslinger QB to save us from no talent anymore. Dak's more conservative play isn't as exciting as what Romo does but it's more consistent and less risky and thus better suited for the strong running identity we've established with Zeke.
Great post.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dak. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, let alone with a used part that's just been repaired and is probably a little rusty. It's not as though every team doesn't experience a changing of the guard at key positions over time and Romo's physical prime is in the rear view mirror.

Craig Morton was a top five pick that lost his job to Roger Staubach and that worked out pretty well. Maybe you could say Morton wasn't as entrenched as the starter then as Romo has been but it does happen.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's not smart to credit a QB with a team's playoff record. There's like an entire team, coaching staff, and front office involved, all of which we've been highly critical of in Dallas for some time.

To about face and then put it all on Romo is disingenuous.

Dallas plays a certain way with Romo to cover up weaknesses in other places. Historically this approach has gotten them to about .500.

When was the last foundational DT this team has had? What about playmaking LB or Safety who are leaders that stay on the field? Or DB that steps up and consistently makes plays in the secondary?

Outside of some streaks here and there, there's none of the above.

Same with RB's. Julius, Barber, Murray-- all make a brief splash then leave.

What we've had at the foundational positions is Romo and later Dez and Tyron. That combination alone is not enough to make a perennial contender.
Yes but you forgot Beasley as a foundation piece.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yes but you forgot Beasley as a foundation piece.
I may have been the only person initially that was pro Beasley. However, I had the advantage of seeing him play with the Mustangs. He is a smaller version of Howard Twilley who I also watched play pitch and catch with Jerry Rhome. Sometimes size is not a hindence to a gamer.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I may have been the only person initially that was pro Beasley. However, I had the advantage of seeing him play with the Mustangs. He is a smaller version of Howard Twilley who I also watched play pitch and catch with Jerry Rhome. Sometimes size is not a hindence to a gamer.
You were not the only person who was pro Beasley, plenty of people liked him. You probably remember booze being all DFDC about it all the time though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have usually been one of the first to criticize Romo's lack of playoff success so that argument isn't being lost in the wash in my analysis but I also think it is tremendously hard for a rookie to be able to match even what Romo has done. That's one of the reasons why I am still pro Romo.

Rev

Staff member
You were not the only person who was pro Beasley, plenty of people liked him. You probably remember booze being all DFDC about it all the time though.
I remember that he was. This was at the beginning when he quit and had to be talked back into coming back.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dak has been named starter vs Iggs. Good news, folks...

townsend

Banned
I still think Romo will be in recovery for the rest of the season. It's an easy way to dodge controversy, more importantly, it's doubtful that Romo will be 100% at any point during 2016. The guy does not seem to heal quickly, we teased a return in 2010 too.

I say there's a greater than 50% chance they place Romo on IR without him taking a snap in the regular season.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Would be awesome to find a team willing to fork over some premium picks for Romo.

Rev

Staff member
Injury issues and a huge contract on an aging player. I don't think he is tradeable.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I'm all for Dak starting, but I'm not sure pushing Romo out the front door would be a good move. God forbid we end up having to roll out Sanchez at the end of the season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm all for Dak starting, but I'm not sure pushing Romo out the front door would be a good move. God forbid we end up having to roll out Sanchez at the end of the season.
I don't think anyone is advocating trading him mid-season. It would need to be this next off-season so we can work on getting a decent backup by start of next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anyone is advocating trading him mid-season. It would need to be this next off-season so we can work on getting a decent backup by start of next year.
This is exactly right. Plus you have to make the cap numbers works and we can't really do that until after this season.

This season can provide a great barameter for making that decision though. Having a full season of game film will help make you more comfortable in the decision of trading Romo.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Injury issues and a huge contract on an aging player. I don't think he is tradeable.
He is definitely tradeable another team would not have the burden of paying that huge bonus.

His base salary next year is 14 million and that could be restructured.

I could see Fisher being very interested to bridge the gap till Goff is ready and that would be huge for that market.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Does anyone know the cap ramifications if Romo is traded in the offseason? I heard something along the lines of an ass-biting $20M dead money against the cap in 2017 but then savings of over $40M combined in 2018 & 2019. Not sure how accurate that is. If that is the case it would be a huge hit in 2017...maybe too big to overcome. But if they can weather it that is a substantial payoff down the road.

I highly doubt they even entertain the idea of trading a guy who is practically a member of the Jones family at this point, but if they do they should take what they can get from a draft pick standpoint and just be happy to move the future salary.

Rev

Staff member
He is definitely tradeable another team would not have the burden of paying that huge bonus.

His base salary next year is 14 million and that could be restructured.

I could see Fisher being very interested to bridge the gap till Goff is ready and that would be huge for that market.
You are only looking at one issue. We have 2 others that make the money issue even more of an issue.

Top Bottom