With the Cowboys hiring Kris Richard, they should move Byron Jones to cornerback

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys have a new secondary coach, could he be moving Byron Jones back to cornerback?
By Michael Sisemore@MrSisemore Jan 26, 2018, 9:30am CST

The Dallas Cowboys have admired the Seattle Seahawks’ way of creating an opportunistic defense going back to when Rod Marinelli first took over. This week, they decided to hire one of the Seahawks former architects of the “Legion of Boom”. Kris Richard, Seattle’s former defensive coordinator and secondary coach, will now take over the duties of passing game coordinator and secondary coach in Dallas.

With any new hire, there is the questions of potential changes. One of the potential changes that has been tossed around, at least by fans, is moving Byron Jones to cornerback. Could that be coming to fruition now that Richard is in the fold?

Kris Richard was a former defensive back himself and third-round pick for the Seahawks back in 2002. Richard has been an assistant coach in Seattle for the past eight seasons and implemented a hard-hitting style in the secondary that Pete Carroll really liked. Usually the physicality in Richard’s secondary comes from the safety position while he prefers lengthy cover corners on the outside. As the Cowboys continue to rebuild their secondary, you can expect that Richard will have a big influence on the philosophy of that rebuild.

Byron Jones has been playing free safety for a few seasons now but it just hasn’t worked out the way the Cowboys had hoped. He is very athletic with speed and coverage abilities, but he’s not very physical. He’s not the most consistent tackler and that’s a big problem when you’re the last line of defense on the back end. Has he made some really great plays? Absolutely, he has but he’s just not the right fit for the free safety position.

There is speculation all over about potentially moving Jones to cornerback, where he played early on with the Cowboys. The strengths of Byron Jones’ game is his ability to cover and he’s especially solid in man coverage. Coming out of Connecticut, all the raves about Jones had to do with his athleticism and ability to shadow his man, leaving the thinnest amount of space between he and his opponent. That sounds like a cornerback and Jones certainly has the length that Richard covets in his corners.

During Richard’s coaching career with Seattle, they have only drafted one cornerback that is below six feet and that was Walter Thurmond III at 5’11. If you look at the cornerbacks they have drafted, seven in total since 2010, all of them had arm lengths over 32 inches. Out of all the defensive backs drafted, only Earl Thomas had less than 32 inch arms at 31 1⁄4 inches. Byron Jones is 6’0, 205 lbs, with an arm length of 32 inches, he falls right in line with what they would want at cornerback under Kris Richard.

Right now, the Cowboys are certainly not a finished product in the secondary. There were rumors that they were looking to trade Orlando Scandrick during last year’s draft. Though that seemingly wasn’t true, he’s hinted on his own social media account that he may not be in the future plans for the Cowboys. Scandrick is 30-years-old and hasn’t made it through a full season since 2013, missing five games this past year.

Though he still has plenty to offer in a role, they need more from an outside cornerback opposite Chidobe Awuzie. Byron Jones could be the type of athlete they need to pair with Chidobe on the outside. Jones needs an opportunity to either show he can play cornerback or that the Cowboys made the wrong pick, one or the other. As a first-round pick, it’s not going to be acceptable to have him as a special cover guy in a diminished role. As a cornerback, he can match up with the longer receiver types and he certainly has the speed to stay with guys.

If the Cowboys are able to bring Jones down to a cornerback spot, the defense will be much more efficient. It will allow Jourdan Lewis to move into the slot position, which is where he starred at Michigan. It will also allow the Cowboys to look for a free safety be it free agency with Tre Boston or via the 2018 Draft. They may even already have that guy on the roster in Xavier Woods.

The Cowboys are going for a youth movement in the secondary, but they also need to evaluate how to best use the talent they already have. Kris Richard is an innovative coach that has respect across the league for being able to teach defensive backs how to be as physical as possible, make plays on the ball, and show aggressiveness all while keeping an eye on the rules. If anyone can get the most out of the talent on this secondary, it’s Kris Richard. In order to do so, the front office must admit their original thought of Jones playing safety has been a failure. It’s time to move him to cornerback and see what he can do. The hire of Richard could very well save Byron Jones’ career in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I'm cool with all of that. Even with that being said I'm not sure he is going to be better than Anthony Brown. Byron at least has a chance if we try him at corner. He isn't even worth resigning as a safety/utility guy like we have been using him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Didn't he kind of play CB as a rookie?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
yes, and personally lost the Jets game
Thanks.

My whole opinion of him is just suck intermixed with the dumb fucking idea that he shut down Gronk and he is somehow worthwhile.

At this stage, he is a salvage project before his rookie contract comes due. Just like Claiborne.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks.

My whole opinion of him is just suck intermixed with the dumb fucking idea that he shut down Gronk and he is somehow worthwhile.

At this stage, he is a salvage project before his rookie contract comes due. Just like Claiborne.
Yeah his best hope is as a cover 3 corner probably. Although if he can't play zone coverage as a safety who knows how well he would fare as a corner. Regardless he seems to play better when he is lined up close to the guy he is supposed to cover. He sucks at everything off coverage.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Didn't want him at the draft. We only have one more year left?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earl Thomas threatens Seahawks holdout, any interest Byron Jones swap?

Late in the NFL season, with a shot at the playoffs still a possibility, Dallas was soundly defeated by the Seattle Seahawks in Texas. The Cowboys were eliminated that night, even though there was still a game left on the regular season schedule. While that was a huge disappointment, there was a postgame happening that diverted a lot of attention away from the sorrow.

Seahawks safety Earl Thomas, was caught on camera telling Cowboys’ head coach Jason Garrett to bring him to the Cowboys.

Edward Egros
✔
@EdwardEgrosFox4
Earl Thomas runs to greet Jason Garrett, then as he walks into the COWBOYS lockerroom, he says, “If you have a chance to get me, come get me.”

6:24 PM - Dec 24, 2017 · AT&T Stadium
205 205 Replies 2,243 2,243 Retweets 3,491 3,491 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Thomas clarified when asked about the interaction he meant whenever Seattle was done with him. That day might not be far away.

Thomas is in the final year of his four-year, $40 million contract signed prior to 2014. He wants a new deal and on Friday, the 28-year old four-time All Pro made it clear to ESPN he’s not planning on suiting up for Seattle without one.

“I want to finish my career there,” Thomas told ESPN after Thursday’s Pro Bowl practice at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex. “I definitely don’t see myself going out there not signed. But I’m going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl.

“As far as my future in Seattle, I think if they want me, you know, money talks. We’ll get something accomplished. Other than that, I’m just taking it one day at a time.”

If Thomas and the Seahawks cannot work out a long-term extension, Dallas would be a possible destination. The Cowboys have just signed Kris Richard as their defensive passing game coordinator after he was fired in Seattle.

Richard has been in charge of the Seattle DB’s throughout their ascension to Legion of Boom fame under head coach Pete Carroll. Dallas certainly has enough draft picks to make a move on Thomas if Seattle is looking to move him. The team has 10 picks in the upcoming draft including four compensatory picks, expected to be split between the fourth and fifth rounds.

The club also hasn’t extended a fifth-year option to current free safety Byron Jones.

Who has shown flashes but hasn’t settled into as dominant a role as the club had hoped when drafting him in the first round of 2015. Jones was drafted as a corner, but moved to free safety in his second year as he’s been asked to be more of a swiss-army knife than have a dedicated spot.

Dallas and Seattle share an affinity for SPARQ athletes, of which Jones is in rarefied air. Some hope Dallas moves Jones down to a boundary corner, but if Thomas does become available and Dallas doesn’t have faith in Jones as a part of their secondary, a swap could be an interesting plot twist.

Would a straight exchange work for both sides? Answer the poll below.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
^That trade probably goes thru if someone can figure out how to drop off a bunch of retard sandwiches to Carroll and Co for lunch 10 minutes before ole Jer picks up the phone to make the deal.

:dunce

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
^That trade probably goes thru if someone can figure out how to drop off a bunch of retard sandwiches to Carroll and Co for lunch 10 minutes before ole Jer picks up the phone to make the deal.

:dunce
:lol

I voted that the Seahawks would hang the phone up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jones has more or less been a nickel slot CB who plays safety in base packages since he got here, so he's been playing slot at least like 1/3rd of the time, if not more.

Just keep him in that role and if he gets beaten out in camp at safety so be it, he'll just become our 3rd CB in nickel with Awuzie/Lewis starting.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Wouldja?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wouldja?
No, too high of picks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wouldja?
Make is Byron and this year’s 3rd and I jump all over that deal.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Wouldja?
Not a second and third rounder, maybe Jones and a fourth, something like that. Isn't Thomas going to turn 30 sometime this year? I know he's been around awhile, how much tread is left on his tires?

Jones is younger and could still pan out if he receives decent coaching.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cowboys would be fucking morons to take that deal for a 28 year old safety who is going to break the bank.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
KD Drummond's next article: Would the Jags take Jalen Ramsey for Anthony Brown?

Top Bottom