Archer: Cowboys show who's best in battle vs. Packers' top run defense

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys show who's best in battle vs. Packers' top run defense
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- All week the Dallas Cowboys’ offensive line heard how good the Green Bay Packers’ run defense was.

Through four games, the Packers had given up 171 yards on the ground on 1.99 yards per carry. The Cowboys entered Sunday with at least 180 yards rushing in three straight games.

“I thought our guys saw that as a challenge to win up front,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said.

The Cowboys not only won, they dominated. They ran for 191 carries on 33 carries. The only thing they did not do was add a rushing touchdown.

“I’ll take my guys over any guys in the league,” rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott said of his offensive line.

Elliott finished with 157 yards on 28 carries. By halftime, he had the most yards on the ground by one runner against the Packers this season, with 60 on 12 carries. Entering Sunday, Green Bay had allowed just two runs of 10 yards or more. The Cowboys had six. The Packers had not given up a run of 20 yards all season. The Cowboys had three.

“I think we’re confident in our running game,” right guard Zack Martin said. “We knew if we executed, we could get it going. It was dirty early and the coaches stayed with it and Zeke stayed with it and ran his ass off and hit some big ones late.”

The Cowboys wore down the Packers. Elliott opened the second half with a 25-yard pickup, only to top that with a 29-yarder in the fourth quarter. With the Packers looking for a stop down 27-16, he hunted-and-pecked his way to the left, broke through the line and cut back to his right for 29 yards to eventually set up Dan Bailey's third field goal of the game.

Elliott finished the fourth quarter with 67 yards on 12 carries. It was the epitome of what the Cowboys want to be offensively.

“We’re a physical team; that’s what it is,” Elliott said. “That’s why we can run the ball. When you’re late in the third or late in the fourth, you’re going to see those bigger runs. Those runs break out. A lot of teams, they’re not going to want to feel that physical presence for all four quarters.

"We’re not going to back down. They know what we’re going to do. They know we’re going to run the ball no matter what. From the beginning, that’s the attitude we have. It wears those guys down.”

Dak Prescott might have the best view.

“It’s amazing just to turn around and see the holes they’re making,” the rookie quarterback said, "and the way Zeke hits them, breaking tackles.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, I mean we ran all over them in 2014 and their personnel isn't that different than it was then. The more impressive thing was how we protected Prescott, although I think alot of that has to do with how play action heavy we are in the passing game. Aside from the Peppers strip sack the protection was very good.

Top Bottom