User Tag List

Thread: Turner: Dez is gone. Let's rank the ten best receivers in this year's draft

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar

Turner: Dez is gone. Let's rank the ten best receivers in this year's draft

Dez is gone. Let's rank the ten best receivers in this year's draft
    By Kevin Turner Apr 16, 2018

Over the past few months, I’ve studied nearly 200 players in preparation for this year’s draft. Here at The Athletic, we’ve given you full access to our comprehensive draft grades and rankings by creating The Athletic Draft Board.

The board is really fascinating because it combines the grades of multiple staff writers from The Athletic. The evaluation of players is obviously an inexact science and it allows for many agreements, disagreements, and debates.

In this piece, I’m stepping outside the realm of our awesome staff and giving you my personal positional rankings for the wide receiver position.

After the release of Dez Bryant, it’s even more likely that the Cowboys draft a wide receiver in the first three rounds. With that in mind, here are my top ten receivers in the coming draft, complete with some player comps.

#1: Calvin Ridley (Alabama)

Ridley’s advanced route-running skills and ability to get open are really special. While he may not have the highest ceiling of all the WR prospects in the draft, I find him to be the safest and most likely to contribute right away. The Ravens at #16 and the Cowboys at #19 make the most sense for him. Ridley took an official visit to the Cowboys facility in Frisco.

Round Grade: 1

Player Comp: I liked the comp of Reggie Wayne from the NFL Network’s Bucky Brooks.

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

These are honest grades

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    These are honest grades
    I don't necessarily agree with his order but 7 guys projected in the first two rounds sounds about right. He only has 1 first round grade but he clearly isn't as high on DJ Moore as most. Although in his paragraph he mentions that the first round buzz is totally warranted so clearly he see's why he should go in the first round even though it lists a second round grade. DeSean Hamilton as the 20th best receiver seems a bit crazy to me.

If DJ Moore can be half as successful as Steve Smith (the good one), then sign me up for him in the 2nd round (not that he’d make it that far).
    No Pat McQuistan = No Super Bowl. It's that simple.

5. The following user likes this post:

I still like Kirk and here's the thing. You've already signed a guy to play outside if you don't think Kirk can do it, but I think he's the kind of threat at slot that Beas would never be. This guy could break a TD at any time from the slot or either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Although in his paragraph he mentions that the first round buzz is totally warranted so clearly he see's why he should go in the first round even though it lists a second round grade
    1st round based on demand vs talent is not what I want for our team. Sure if Ridley falls to 19 then you at least consider him, but you know you are passing on a more talented player on defense or in Hernandez.

Meanwhile it sounds like if you just wait, a similar talent will drop to you (or near you) in the 2nd.

There are no AJ Greens or Dez Bryants in this class. Don’t force it, IMO