2018 East-West Shrine Game Stuff...

D

Deuce

Mike Mayock's observations from week of Shrine Game practices

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Jan. 18, 2018 at 05:12 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 18, 2018 at 05:30 p.m.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After three days of practices leading up to the East-West Shrine Game, North Carolina State defensive end Kentavius Street is the guy I'm probably most intrigued by. He's playing for the East team this week. I like that he has some inside-out flexibility. He can set a physical edge on first down outside and I think he's an inside rusher in sub packages. He's been dominant this week.

Some other thoughts on prospects from the East squad:

Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain: Everybody's talking about him this week. Out of the whole group of wideouts, I think he's the one that's shown the most juice, the most acceleration. He has a really good track background from high school, so he's legitimately fast but he's also quick. He's caught the ball extremely well, and he's separated from guys. I think he's helped himself a lot this week.

Penn WR Justin Watson: He practiced in the slot this week and did a nice job. Tuesday, he caught the ball well and created some separation inside. He's 220 pounds, and he's an interesting guy, but I think you have to figure out how you're going to use him. Special teams is going to be important for him, just to earn a spot on the team to buy himself some time, but he's intriguing.

Ohio State LB Chris Worley: You can see he's been well-coached and knows what he's doing. He understands zone or man. He's tough, smart and in the right place all the time.

Pitt CB Avonte Maddox: He's very thin, but really quick. I thought he showed the quickest change-of-direction skill of the corners here this week. He's probably a nickelback, and he's helped himself.

Memphis QB Riley Ferguson: I liked his tape more than I liked his week of practice. He was a little erratic, inconsistent with ball placement, but has a good arm.

Onto some observations from the West squad:

Army OT Brett Toth: He's a big kid, and physically he can play in the NFL, but the question is whether somebody is going to draft him knowing they might have to wait a couple years for his availability (due to his minimum military commitment of two years). He might not be playing for a team next year.

Mississippi State TE Jordan Thomas: A lot of people are talking about him. At 270 pounds, he has an amazing catch radius and really good hands. Everybody knows he's a tight end except for him. He wants to be a wideout. Some people have even talked about making him a tackle. He's a really good athlete with quite a wingspan.

Indiana LB Tegray Scales: He showed some good man-to-man skills this week and can run to the football.

Missouri DE Marcell Frazier: He has some pass-rush ability with a little bit of twitch, and I thought he did some good things this week.

Washington State OG Cody O'Connell: He was hard to evaluate on tape because WSU doesn't run the ball a lot, or aggressively. Why he's not a tackle is a logical question. Is he a right tackle if he's anything? That's what scouts will ask.

Delaware DT Bilal Nichols: He flashed. He's 300 pounds and has the body type and strength for the position. He has some movement skills, but I don't see it consistently enough out here or on tape. I'd like to see his motor run a little hotter, but I like his ability.

Wisconsin LB Leon Jacobs: He had a really solid week. I think he's an off-the-ball linebacker. I think he's a 3-4 inside backer, or a 4-3 weakside linebacker.
That's a weird statement because that's exactly how he was all season. He just happened to play in a pass happy scheme so he still put up ridiculous numbers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bulletin from the EW Shrine Game: Nik Shimonek still sucks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a weird statement because that's exactly how he was all season. He just happened to play in a pass happy scheme so he still put up ridiculous numbers.
I'm actually intrigued with him a little. A gun slinger type with a strong arm and some ability to avoid the rush and make big plays. Really the only QB in this game I have any desire to see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Senat dominates all week, then can't play.

D

Deuce

Senat dominates all week, then can't play.
He can’t play as in he isnt doing anything or being held out?

My brother who is a USF guy absolutely loves him. He claims the all the positives being written about him are legit and my concerns about on field behavior seen based on “losing his coolness in a rivalry game once and a bunch of bogus targeting calls”. Take that for what it’s worth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He can’t play as in he isnt doing anything or being held out?

My brother who is a USF guy absolutely loves him. He claims the all the positives being written about him are legit and my concerns about on field behavior seen based on “losing his coolness in a rivalry game once and a bunch of bogus targeting calls”. Take that for what it’s worth.
He is being held out.

Top Bottom