2018 East-West Shrine Game Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2018 East-West Shrine Game: Monday's East Team Practice Report

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

The first practice of the East-West Shrine was held in St. Petersburg, Florida under sunny skies with temperatures in the 60s. The players practicing in shells: helmets, shoulder pads and shorts.

Sources said that one player who stood out at the weigh-in was South Florida nose tackle Deadrin Senat. The 6-foot, 300-pounder doesn't have good height or length, but he has a strong build with serious strength. In the team scrimmage, Senat showed a burst to fire into the backfield and notch a tackle for a loss. He was eating up blocks and plugging his gap, as blockers were incapable of moving him. One general manager told WalterFootball.com that they see Senat as a sawed-off nose tackle who has power to hold his gap at the point of attack. They think he could be a late-round pick or undrafted free agent who ends up making the team as a functional nose tackle to rotate into the game.

Florida State linebacker Matthew Thomas received a lot of attention from scouts and teams after practice, as you can see in the team interview page. Thomas (6-4, 220) has good size and speed, and he flies around the field. However, his instincts and play recognition need work. Thomas could be a good special-teams player and backup linebacker who develops into a bigger role.

One of the most impressive players in the first practice was Connecticut defensive tackle Fatukasi Folorunso. Folorunso had a quick interior rush to get a sack in the team scrimmage, and followed that up by powering his way into the backfield to notch a tackle for a loss. The 6-foot-4, 303-pounder has a versatile build and skill set. Folorunso could play some three-technique or nose tackle in a 4-3, or demonstrate the ability to play five technique or nose tackle in a 3-4. He could be a sleeper pick who ends up being a really nice value.

In the running for the most impressive skill position player on the East team was Fordham running back Chase Edmonds. The 5-foot-9, 209-pounder was quick to the hole and showed the speed to burst into the secondary. He caught the ball well and had good bend to run behind his pads. His legs didn't go dead on contact, and while the players were't tackling, Edmonds was showing the potential to pick up yards after contact, given his style and technique. Edmonds had a strong first day and got his week off to an excellent start.

The other skill position player who had a nice opening for the East squad was Northern Iowa wide receiver Daurice Fountain. The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder has a nice build to him, but he was generating separation from his quickness and route-running. If Fountain is able to duplicate this performance on Tuesday and Wednesday, he could end up making himself into a third-day prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Miami defensive end Chad Thomas certainly passes the eyeball test. The 6-foot-6, 275-pounder has excellent size while also possessing speed and athletic ability. He had some good pass rushes, including one in the team scrimmage when he worked through Syracuse offensive tackle Jamar McGloster to put heat on South Florida quarterback Quinton Flowers. Thomas has the potential to be a NFL starter, but he is very inconsistent. On some plays, he looks like an early-rounder, and then others, he looks clueless. Thomas needs to land with a good defensive line coach in the NFL.

N.C. State defensive end Kentavius Street had a nice showing on Monday. He almost made an amazing play with a leaping pass breakup after firing into the backfield, nearly locating the ball for an interception. It was an impressive athletic play from Street.

Penn State defensive end Curtis Cothran (6-5, 301) had some nice plays getting penetration into the backfield. He also made some good run fills. Cothran looks like a great fit as a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense. He could be a Day 3 candidate who contributes.

The only quarterback on the East team who has some positive buzz is Memphis' Nate Ferguson. One general manager told me said that Ferguson the only real quarterback he was eager to see in St. Petersburg. Ferguson had a so-so first day and will need to be more accurate. Some incompletions appeared to be the result of miscommunication, and that is typical in All-Star practices as the players have never played together before. South Florida's Quinton Flowers and Ohio State's J.T. Barrett look like undrafted players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2018 East-West Shrine Game: Practice Report

2018 East-West Shrine Game: Monday's West Team Practice Report

The first practice for the West team of the East-West Shrine was held in St. Petersburg, Florida under sunny skies with temperatures in the 60s. The players practicing in shells: helmets, shoulder pads and shorts.

SMU defensive end Justin Lawler had a good opening practice. He did well in the one-on-ones, using speed to fly by tackles and get pressure in the pocket. Lawler's speed caused Wagner offensive tackle Greg Senat to lose his balance as Lawler flew by him. The coaches gave Senat some coaching points on maintaining his balance. Lawler (6-4, 265) has a nice frame to him to go along with speed.

Senat also made some nice plays, showing that he could be a developmental tackle as a late-round pick or undrafted free agent. The other offensive lineman who stood out in that regard was Alberta's Mark Korte. In the one-on-ones, Korte had some wins at left tackle and earned some praise from the coaches. Korte stood up and then held up Missouri edge rusher Marcell Frazier to get a win in the one-on-ones. Korte (6-4, 285) needs to get stronger and add some weight to his frame.

Frazier turned in a feast-or-famine practice. He looked good on most pass-rushing plays, using his speed and athleticism to fire by tackles. In the team scrimmage, he blew by San Diego State tight end Davis Wells for a sack. On the next play, Frazier swam over Army tackle Brett Toth to notch a tackle for a loss. Toth got revenge in the one-on-ones though, patiently letting Frazier get upfield before riding him around the pocket. In the ground game, Frazier was getting pushed back off the line and had issues getting out off blocks. Frazier would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker or being a designated pass-rusher - DPR - in a 4-3 defense.

Texas defensive tackle Poona Ford had some good moments and some very ugly ones. He had a coverage sack with a nice second effort in the first team-scrimmage session. Ford also got the better of Washington State guard Cody O'Connell in the team scrimmage with a speed rush during which he got lower than the 6-foot-9 guard for the win. O'Connell should have just pushed Ford into the ground, as most pro lineman would have done, and the coaches advised O'Connell of that after the play. Scouts standing near me were theorizing that O'Connell is too tall to play inside at guard. Ford (5-11, 303) had a number of ugly plays on which he couldn't get off blocks, with his lack of length coming back to bite him. Colorado State guard Jake Bennett stood up a bull rush from Ford. Both Ford and O'Connell look like undrafted, training camp competitors.

Wisconsin safety Natrell Jamerson had an impressive opening day. In the team scrimmage, he flew across the field to track down an interception in front of a receiver and cornerback. It was a very nice play as Jamerson showed speed and an ability to track the ball. Jamerson (6-0, 198) is a versatile athlete who could end up really helping himself this week.

North Dakota safety Cole Reyes also added an interception. Colorado State quarterback Nick Stevens had an overthrow in the middle of the field that sailed right into the breadbasket for Reyes. Stevens and Sam Houston State quarterback Jeremiah Briscoe will need to play better over the days to come.

Texas Tech quarterback Nic Shimonek had a decent first practice of the week. Some team sources were remarking that Shimonek has a live arm and Texas Tech runs more pro concepts than many people realize. Shimonek could be the top quarterback to watch on the West squad this week.

South Dakota State wide receiver Jake Wieneke had a nice opening day of the week. Late in the team scrimmage, Wieneke adjusted well to an underthrown ball to cut back inside of the cornerback and haul in the pass from Briscoe. Wieneke (6-4, 215) has good size to him with quality hands and is a feisty competitor. It will be important for him to show more skills to separate on Tuesday and Wednesday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2018 East-West Shrine Game: Practice Report

2018 East-West Shrine Game: Tuesday's East Team Practice Report

The Tuesday East practice of the East-West Shrine was held in St. Petersburg, Fla. under sunny skies with temperatures in the 60s. The players practiced in full pads.

The star of the East team practice on Tuesday was Northern Iowa wide receiver Darius Fountain. He had a number excellent catches with showcasing his well-rounded skills. He was beating the defensive backs in the one-on-ones, using quickness and route-running to generate separation. He had Miami cornerback Devonta' Delaney beaten on a deep post for a long gain, but the pass was overthrown. Later in the team scrimmage, Fountain ripped off a long gain on a simple wide receiver screen. He weaved through defenders and used his speed to bolt downfield. One general manager told me that Fountain was making himself some serious money as his showing in these practices is going to raise his grade and ranking on their draft board. It hurts Fountain to not be a returner, but he has been impressive in two straight practices for the East squad and is making the most of the opportunity at the East-West Shrine.

UConn defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi was another player who impressed for the second straight practice. He was consistently beating blockers with speed at the point of attack. Fatukasi was knifing into the backfield and was too fast for many blockers in the one-on-ones. He blew right by North Dakota State center Austin Kuhnert to get to the quarterback marker in a blur. Fatukasi also has a thick frame and the strength to hold his ground at the line. During the team scrimmage, he had a sack using speed to cut to the inside and charge down the middle of the pocket at Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett. Team sources said Fatukasi is impressive with his quickness and he is helping himself this week.

Another player who has improved his standing in eyes of team sources is USF running back D'Ernest Johnson. He showed good quickness and cutting ability on Tuesday. He had a good run in the team scrimmage, breaking to the outside with a fast cut and then accelerating downfield. Johnson (5-9, 208) could be a backup and change-of-pace candidate.

Miami defensive end Chad Thomas certainly passes the eyeball test. The 6-foot-6, 275-pounder has excellent size while also possessing speed and athletic ability. He had some good pass rushes, including one in the team scrimmage when he worked through Syracuse offensive tackle Jamar McGloster to put heat on South Florida quarterback Quinton Flowers. Thomas has the potential to be a NFL starter, but he is very inconsistent. On some plays, he looks like an early-rounder, and then others, he looks clueless. Thomas needs to land with a good defensive line coach in the NFL.

N.C. State defensive end Kentavius Street had a nice showing on Monday. He almost made an amazing play with a leaping pass breakup after firing into the backfield, nearly locating the ball for an interception. It was an impressive athletic play from Street.

Penn State defensive end Curtis Cothran (6-5, 301) had some nice plays getting penetration into the backfield. He also made some good run fills. Cothran looks like a great fit as a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense. He could be a Day 3 candidate who contributes.

An NFC general manager told me that North Carolina State guard Tony Adams was the offensive lineman who has impressed him the most on the East squad. Adams is strong for his frame and is a gritty blocker. However, the 6-foot-1, 315-pounder lacks length, and that general manager thinks Adams won't be able to play guard in the NFL as a result. They think he could find his way onto the field as a center.

Vanderbilt running back Ralph Webb had a nice practice on Tuesday. In the team scrimmage he had a chunk gain on a draw darting up the middle of the defense. Webb (5-10, 202) has a compact build and is a tough runner. He could end up being one of the standouts on Saturday when the East meets the West.

Fordham running back Chase Edmonds was impressive on Monday, but unfortunately, an ankle injury caused him to miss some time on Tuesday. Team sources have some concerns about the medical evaluation with Edmonds and say he has had ankle issues that concern them. Tuesday's practice was a bad sign for Edmonds draft stock with that injury.

Ohio State linebacker Chris Worley has been impressive in the two sessions. He is an intelligent player and team sources have said that Worley has interviewed well with teams. Worley (6-2, 230) has versatile size to play inside or outside linebacker. He could be a mid-round sleeper who is a nice value pick.

Worley's teammate Damon Webb has also done well in the team interviews according to sources. Webb (5-11, 195) isn't a big safety, but he is assignment sound and reads plays well.

Syracuse safety Jordan Martin (6-3, 206) has good size and has also improved his standing with evaluators. He could use a redshirt year in the NFL, but Martin has a skill set to develop.

USF quarterback Quinton Flowers is very undersized and some team sources think he should move to defensive back. They don't think that Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett has the speed or athleticism to move to defensive back after the knee injury that Barrett sustained in college. Barrett will have to challenge for a third quarterback roster spot as a very late-round pick or more likely an undrafted free agent.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shrine Game Day 1 Notebook: J.T. Barrett takes command

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Jan. 15, 2018 at 08:14 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 17, 2018 at 08:34 p.m.
0 Likes | 0 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- J.T. Barrett has a full week to show NFL scouts his skills as a passer at the East-West Shrine Game, but he didn't even wait a day to flash the leadership and intangible qualities that were a signature of his four years as quarterback at Ohio State.

In the East squad's first practice Monday, the former Buckeyes star was a vocal leader amid the chaos and uncertainty that is common for the first day of any all-star setting. He sought out receivers for high-fives after good catches, barked out calls and even changed a couple plays at the line of scrimmage. Tampa Bay Buccaneers quality control assistant Zack Grossi is serving as East team's QBs coach, and Barrett took Grossi's pre-practice message to heart.

"We have to own it when we're in there getting our reps," Barrett said. "Coach Grossi told us to take ownership of the offense, make sure it's ours."

Barrett enjoyed his best college season as a fifth-year senior at OSU, leading the Buckeyes to a Big Ten title with career highs in yardage (3,053), touchdown passes (35) and completion percentage (64.7). Still, there is plenty to prove for a high-profile quarterback who isn't considered among the best draft prospects at his position. He's already noted some significant differences between OSU's offense and the one he'll operate this week in Shrine Game practices.

"It's getting under center, it's taking control in the huddle, barking out calls, all those things were different at Ohio State," he said. "That's something crucial, making all those adjustments."

Leadership, however, is one thing he didn't have to remember to pack.

Texas' Poona Ford has been a highly productive defensive tackle for the Longhorns for three seasons, piling up 20.5 tackles for loss. But at 5-foot-11, his height will be a significant question mark for NFL scouts in his draft evaluation. He considers Shrine Game week to be one of his best chances to show those scouts he can play with anyone.

"People have been saying I'm not tall enough since I was in high school. I just keep proving people wrong," Ford said.

Top performers

Some of the standouts at Monday's practices included Michigan State C Brian Allen, Miami CB DeVonta' Delaney, FSU S Trey Marshall, Wisconsin LB Leon Jacobs and Colorado S Afolabi Laguda. Delaney showed impressive speed and instincts reacting to underneath routes, and Laguda made an impressive pass breakup defending against former Buffaloes teammate Bryce Bobo.

"I told him I'm glad to be playing with him for a change, and he told me the same thing. He's glad I'm catching his passes instead of somebody else's." -- Penn State WR Daesean Hamilton on what it's like to be teammates with former Big Ten rival J.T. Barrett.

Who's talking to whom

A look at some of the on-field player interviews conducted by NFL clubs following Shrine Game practices Monday:

Arizona Cardinals: FSU LB Matthew Thomas
Denver Broncos: South Florida QB Quinton Flowers
Miami Dolphins: Louisiana-Lafayette S Tracy Walker
New Orleans Saints: Michigan State C Brian Allen, Texas DT Poona Ford
Los Angeles Chargers: Weber State TE Andrew Vollert, Louisville S Chucky Williams
Los Angeles Rams: Mississippi State LS Hunter Bradley, UNLV WR Devonte Boyd
Philadelphia Eagles: Sam Houston State DT P.J. Hall
San Francisco 49ers: Delaware DT Bilal Nichols
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Houston WR Steven Dunbar
Washington Redskins: FSU LB Matthew Thomas

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shrine Game Day 2 Notebook: Memphis QB emulates Brett Favre

By Chase Goodbread
Published: Jan. 16, 2018 at 07:45 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 17, 2018 at 08:34 p.m.
0 Likes | 0 Comments
Editor's note: Click through the tabs above to see each day's wrap up from practices at the East-West Shrine Game, which will be broadcast exclusively on NFL Network at 3 p.m. ET on Jan. 20.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Jonathan Hayes, the head coach of the East team at the East-West Shrine Game and his QBs coach, Zack Grossi, both picked the same word to describe Memphis QB Riley Ferguson at practice on Tuesday: gunslinger. Ferguson himself considers one of the NFL's greats who also fit that description -- former Green Bay Packers star Brett Favre -- as the quarterback he wants to emulate.

He even wore the No. 4 jersey at Memphis in Favre's honor.

"When I was really young I was watching Green Bay play one day and asked my dad who No. 4 was. Ever since then, I just loved watching him play. The way he threw the ball, I just grew up trying to play like that," Ferguson said. "I always grew up watching him. Once I got a little older, I enjoyed watching him play even more. He was a gunslinger, and I feel like I'm the same way. I feel like I can make every throw on the field, so I think I can relate to Brett Favre."

He might get a chance to relate with Favre in person Friday, when the 11-time Pro Bowl selectee is expected to be on hand for an induction into the East-West Shrine Game Hall of Fame. Favre played in the 1991 East-West Shrine Game.

A panel of NFL draft experts rated Ferguson as the No. 9 quarterback in college football this season. Ferguson threw 38 touchdown passes with nine interceptions for the Tigers this season, for 4,257 yards, to lead a 10-3 team that reached the AAC title game and the Liberty Bowl.

"Riley likes to sling it. He's got that gunslinger attitude, and he understands the game," Hayes said. "He has a huddle presence. He's guy I want to see how uncomfortable we can make him this week, and see how he responds."

Added Grossi: "Love him. Gunslinger. We've just got to rein him in a little bit because he wants every ball to be a rocket, and his arm is so strong. He's still learning to use touch and take something off the ball in certain situations, on certain throws. He's studying, he asks really good questions and he's fun to be around. If he makes the same jump (Wednesday) that he did from Monday to Tuesday, he'll have himself set up for a really good week."

A 280-pound ... receiver?

Mississippi State TE Jordan Thomas has been working extensively at wide receiver for the West squad, bringing imposing size (6-foot-5, 280 pounds) to the perimeter. But it's inside where he'd prefer to be from a scouting standpoint.

"I want to show scouts I can block. That's what this week is about; everybody knows I can catch and run," he said. "My money reps are in the blocking. We're a guy short at receiver, though, so if they throw me out there, I'm going to show them that, too. I'm always open."
Syracuse O-lineman hurt

Syracuse OT Jamar McGloster was injured late in the East practice and was carted off the field and into a fire rescue vehicle that is on standby at practices. East coach Jonathan Hayes said he had not yet received a report on McGloster's status.

Top performers

Ohio State LB Chris Worley was impressive throughout the East practice on Tuesday, particularly during pass-rush drills. He blew past Vanderbilt RB Ralph Webb on one, and Fordham RB Chase Edmonds on another. ... East WR Justin Watson has drawn his share of notice from coaches so far this week, and made perhaps his most impressive catch yet on a deep ball from QB J.T. Barrett that split DBs Dee Delaney of Miami and Jamar Summers of UConn. Watson, of Penn, has given East defensive backs problems with his size (6-3, 225). ... East squad S Jordan Martin of Syracuse made an acrobatic one-handed grab during individual drills. ... Arizona CB Dane Cruikshank of the West team made a nice pass breakup on a throw to the sideline Tuesday, and Oklahoma WR Jeff Badet had a strong practice for the West, as well. Despite his size (178 pounds), Badet has shown ability to separate from cornerbacks with a quick release at the line of scrimmage.

Quotable

"None of the (quarterbacks) are used to taking snaps under center. We got better today. Yesterday we had three (fumbles) on the ground, today we only had one. By the end of the week, hopefully they'll be fine." -- East head coach Jonathan Hayes

Who's talking to whom

A look at some of the on-field player interviews conducted by NFL clubs following Shrine Game practices Tuesday:

Atlanta Falcons: Memphis QB Riley Ferguson.
Baltimore Ravens: Oklahoma WR Jeff Badet.
Buffalo Bills: Oklahoma State S Tre Flowers.
Denver Broncos: Mississippi State TE Jordan Thomas.
Jacksonville Jaguars: USF RB D'Ernest Johnson.
New Orleans Saints: Wagner OT Greg Senat, San Diego State TE David Wells.
New York Giants: Virginia Tech CB Brandon Facyson.
New York Jets: Sam Houston State QB Jeremiah Briscoe.
Los Angeles Chargers: N.C. State DE Kentavius Street, Troy RB Jordan Chunn.
Minnesota Vikings: FSU LB Matthew Thomas, Nebraska CB Joshua Kalu.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mississippi State TE Jordan Thomas.
Washington Redskins: N.C. State DE Kentavius Street.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shrine Game Day 3 Notebook: MSU's Brian Allen generating buzz

Print

By Chase Goodbread
Published: Jan. 17, 2018 at 08:30 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 17, 2018 at 08:38 p.m.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After three days of practices for the annual East-West Shrine Game, Michigan State C Brian Allen and Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain, both on the East squad, have left two of the strongest impressions on NFL scouts among more than 100 prospects for the 2018 draft gathered here at the all-star game.

An AFC scout told Path to the Draft that although Allen (6-foot-2, 305 pounds) might not be the most talented player participating, his upside for an NFL career is as strong as anyone at the event because of his technique and understanding of leverage as an interior blocker.

"Monday was a little shaky just getting the playbook down and getting everyone on the same page," said Allen, the younger brother of New Orleans Saints C Jack Allen. "But we've gotten a lot better. It's all stuff I did at Michigan State, it's just matching the terminology they give us to what I know."

Allen, who was selected the second-team All-Big Ten center last season, estimated that 20 NFL clubs have made contact with him over the last three days. Fountain, meanwhile, made several impressive catches on Wednesday, including a deep ball on which he beat Miami CB Dee Delaney. Although he had a couple of drops as well, he's one of the most exciting talents competing at the all-star game.

"His athleticism is legit," the scout said. "He should test better than a lot of guys with bigger names at the (NFL Scouting) Combine."

Fountain caught 66 passes for 943 yards with 12 touchdowns for the Panthers last season.

"I think I'm more athletic than a lot of these guys. In my pre-testing, I broad-jumped 11-1, and (recorded) a 40-inch vertical. I'm not going to say my 40 time, but I can tell you it's pretty fast," Fountain said. "The first day (of practice) I didn't have any buzz really, but after Tuesday and (Wednesday), I've talked to probably 15, 20 teams. They like my ball-control skills, the way I manipulate my body in the air to catch the ball through contact. A lot of them want to see me play special teams."

Here are nine other players, listed alphabetically, who also have stood out to scouts in attendance this week:
» Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett
» Penn State LB Jason Cabinda
» Oklahoma State C Brad Lundblade
» Colorado RB Phillip Lindsey
» South Dakota State C Jacob Ohnesorge
» Wagner OT Greg Senat
» N.C. State DE Kentavius Street
» Miami DE Chad Thomas
» Army OT Brett Toth

McGloster OK

Syracuse OT Jamar McGloster left Tuesday's practice with a finger dislocation, but was back at practice Wednesday with a cast on his right wrist that covered all but two fingers.
"I told them to cast it up so I could come out and play. I didn't want to end the week like that, people seeing me get carried out on a stretcher," said McGloster. "I'm going to be ready to play Saturday."

Who's talking to whom

A look at some of the on-field player interviews conducted by NFL clubs following Shrine Game practices Wednesday:

Atlanta Falcons: Miami CB Devonta' Delaney, South Florida QB Quinton Flowers.
Buffalo Bills: South Florida DT Deadrin Senat, Pitt CB Avonte Maddox, Tennessee TE Ethan Wolf.
Carolina Panthers: Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain.
Detroit Lions: Tennessee TE Ethan Wolf.
Houston Texans: UConn S Jamar Summers, Pitt OT Jaryd Jones-Smith.
New York Jets: UConn S Jamar Summers, Navy LB D.J. Palmore.
Los Angeles Chargers: Navy LB D.J. Palmore, Miami DE Chad Thomas, Houston WR Steven Dunbar.
Los Angeles Rams: FSU LB Jacob Pugh, Louisville DB Chucky Williams.
Minnesota Vikings: Memphis QB Riley Ferguson, N.C. State OG Tony Adams.
San Francisco 49ers: Oklahoma State C Brad Lundblade.
Washington Redskins: UConn DT Folorunso Fatukasi.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not really sure why Chad Thomas isn't at the Senior Bowl.
That is kind of a mystery to me as well.

I think he is much more talented than some of the guys who made the Senior Bowl roster.

There is the knock on him that he is hot and cold and has got the dreaded "not committed to football" label since he is an aspiring DJ/musical artist.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe his reps are taking the approach that if he beats up weak talent at the Shrine Game it will help his stock more? That's the only thing I can think of. Or the people who pick the Senior Bowl rosters are idiots. One or the other.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shrine Practice Winners- Defense

Tony Pauline
Draft Analyst Writer

The practice gear has been locked away, the scouts have fled St. Petersburg and all that’s left is to play the game. So after three days of one-on-ones, seven-on-sevens and a lot of full scrimmages, who heads into the 2018 Shrine Game as big winners? Here are the half-dozen winners from the defensive side of the ball, with a few names that made the honorable mention list.

The Winners

Deadrin Senat/DT/South Florida: The only person who as able to stop Deadrin Senat was in fact Deadrin Senat, the few times he wore down over the course of practice. It was understandable, as he hadn’t been in pads for almost a month. When fully energized, Senat showed a complete game; he was quick, explosive, powerful and fundamentally sound. He easily held the point against double-team blocks, collapsed the pocket in man-on-man battles and beat opponents with pure power as well as quick hands. Graded as a late-round pick entering the year, Senat has moved into the middle rounds. Keep an eye on the Buffalo Bills or Kansas City Chiefs during draft weekend.

Poona Ford/DT/Texas: Ford was not as dominant as Senat yet was pretty darn good. He was probably quicker off the snap, played with better leverage and displayed a wider variety of moves. He was impossible to stop and even hammered bigger opponents such as Cody O'Connell of Washington State on occasion. Ford has size and scheme limitations but will be playing on Sundays next year, which is pretty amazing considering he wasn’t even graded by scouts entering the season.

Kentavius Street/DE/North Carolina State: Street wreaked havoc off the edge and was the best pass-rushing defensive end all week. He showed great speed and balance and the ability to bend off the corner. His intensity was also on a par with anyone on the field.

Dane Cruikshank/CB/Arizona: The big cornerback passes the eyeball test at first glance and was even more impressive once the whistle blew to start drills. He was incredibly quick, fluid and polished in all fundamentals of his position. Cruikshank showed outstanding ball skills from the first day of practice and played to his size. The whispers about his draft position in April start in the fourth round or potentially a frame higher, depending how he runs at the combine. I’m hoping he’s a late addition to the Senior Bowl.

Avonte Maddox/CB/Pittsburgh: Maddox is small -- under 5-foot-10 -- but played big football all week. His ball skills were unmatched, as were his cover instincts and timing. Maddox fearlessly battled bigger opponents all three days of practice and won out more times than not. I love his potential at the next level as a sub-package defensive back who plays backed off the line of scrimmage.

Chris Worley/LB/Ohio State: I was impressed with Worley on film and even more impressed watching him live at Shrine practice. He’s tough and explosive yet also smart and disciplined. He was a demon in blitz drills, a force against the run and held his own in coverage drills. He’s a New York Giants-type of linebacker and would be a good pickup for the team on the draft’s final day.

Honorable Mention

Josh Kalu/DB/Nebraska: After a tough senior season at safety, Kalu moved to cornerback at Shrine practice and picked up where he left off as a junior, when he looked like a prospect at the position. Scouts will have to reevaluate his 2016 film.

Grant Haley/CB/Penn State: He was a step below Avonte Maddox but showed enough next-level potential to get last-day consideration.

Marcell Frazier/DE/Missouri: Frazier looks the part and occasionally played to it. If he can turn the flashes he showed this week into consistent playmaking ability, Frazier will have a long career at the next level.
------------

Senat was dominant in their bowl game. I like the player a lot.

D

Deuce

Senat was dominant in their bowl game. I like the player a lot.
I'm weary of him. Not sure if he's a head case or just stupid, but he had multiple personal fouls penalties in multiple games. He seems to be easily frustrated when the team is down and other guys start talking.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm weary of him. Not sure if he's a head case or just stupid, but he had multiple personal fouls penalties in multiple games. He seems to be easily frustrated when the team is down and other guys start talking.
Seems really productive and physically looks like a really good fit for our defense. Remind me, do you hate USF or not? I can't remember how those Florida teams work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks quick and athletic but still brings 300+ pounds to the table. I like him. I think he could play the 3 or 1 in our defense. He has that low center of gravity that you need to be able to hold up as a 1 technique without a 340 pound body.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Seems really productive and physically looks like a really good fit for our defense. Remind me, do you hate USF or not? I can't remember how those Florida teams work.
Nah, he loves him some USF.

D

Deuce

I do, but I’m all for getting great players for Dallas regardless of where they came from. I led the Mike Jenkins parade when he was drafted.

Regarding Senat, I’d just be interested if someone ever tracked his on field behavior.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do, but I’m all for getting great players for Dallas regardless of where they came from. I led the Mike Jenkins parade when he was drafted.

Regarding Senat, I’d just be interested if someone ever tracked his on field behavior.
Gotcha, yeah I'm sure it's sort of like I hate Iowa State but I'd love Allen Lazard in Dallas. Heck I love David Irving another Iowa State guy. I'm ok with a little crazy and anger in Dlineman but it's a fine balance of not getting penalties.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is kind of a mystery to me as well.

I think he is much more talented than some of the guys who made the Senior Bowl roster.

There is the knock on him that he is hot and cold and has got the dreaded "not committed to football" label since he is an aspiring DJ/musical artist.

Well there you go. All the drop outs and he's going.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mike Mayock's observations from week of Shrine Game practices

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Jan. 18, 2018 at 05:12 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 18, 2018 at 05:30 p.m.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After three days of practices leading up to the East-West Shrine Game, North Carolina State defensive end Kentavius Street is the guy I'm probably most intrigued by. He's playing for the East team this week. I like that he has some inside-out flexibility. He can set a physical edge on first down outside and I think he's an inside rusher in sub packages. He's been dominant this week.

Some other thoughts on prospects from the East squad:

Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain: Everybody's talking about him this week. Out of the whole group of wideouts, I think he's the one that's shown the most juice, the most acceleration. He has a really good track background from high school, so he's legitimately fast but he's also quick. He's caught the ball extremely well, and he's separated from guys. I think he's helped himself a lot this week.

Penn WR Justin Watson: He practiced in the slot this week and did a nice job. Tuesday, he caught the ball well and created some separation inside. He's 220 pounds, and he's an interesting guy, but I think you have to figure out how you're going to use him. Special teams is going to be important for him, just to earn a spot on the team to buy himself some time, but he's intriguing.

Ohio State LB Chris Worley: You can see he's been well-coached and knows what he's doing. He understands zone or man. He's tough, smart and in the right place all the time.

Pitt CB Avonte Maddox: He's very thin, but really quick. I thought he showed the quickest change-of-direction skill of the corners here this week. He's probably a nickelback, and he's helped himself.

Memphis QB Riley Ferguson: I liked his tape more than I liked his week of practice. He was a little erratic, inconsistent with ball placement, but has a good arm.

Onto some observations from the West squad:

Army OT Brett Toth: He's a big kid, and physically he can play in the NFL, but the question is whether somebody is going to draft him knowing they might have to wait a couple years for his availability (due to his minimum military commitment of two years). He might not be playing for a team next year.

Mississippi State TE Jordan Thomas: A lot of people are talking about him. At 270 pounds, he has an amazing catch radius and really good hands. Everybody knows he's a tight end except for him. He wants to be a wideout. Some people have even talked about making him a tackle. He's a really good athlete with quite a wingspan.

Indiana LB Tegray Scales: He showed some good man-to-man skills this week and can run to the football.

Missouri DE Marcell Frazier: He has some pass-rush ability with a little bit of twitch, and I thought he did some good things this week.

Washington State OG Cody O'Connell: He was hard to evaluate on tape because WSU doesn't run the ball a lot, or aggressively. Why he's not a tackle is a logical question. Is he a right tackle if he's anything? That's what scouts will ask.

Delaware DT Bilal Nichols: He flashed. He's 300 pounds and has the body type and strength for the position. He has some movement skills, but I don't see it consistently enough out here or on tape. I'd like to see his motor run a little hotter, but I like his ability.

Wisconsin LB Leon Jacobs: He had a really solid week. I think he's an off-the-ball linebacker. I think he's a 3-4 inside backer, or a 4-3 weakside linebacker.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Gotcha, yeah I'm sure it's sort of like I hate Iowa State but I'd love Allen Lazard in Dallas. Heck I love David Irving another Iowa State guy. I'm ok with a little crazy and anger in Dlineman but it's a fine balance of not getting penalties.
That guy is a really good prospect.

Top Bottom