Tony Romo Press Conference

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So, Stephen A. Smith has come out and said that the Romo press conference was unnecessary. So, there's that.

If you want to get pissed off, you can listen here.
He's not the only one.

There are a handful of people who feel like he didn't need to read his personal diary out loud and he could've just given a general statement about how he supported Dak and the team.

I don't really care one way or the other just like I don't get up in arms about power rankings either. They're just opinions from idiot pundits that don't warrant any reaction at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He's not the only one.

There are a handful of people who feel like he didn't need to read his personal diary out loud and he could've just given a general statement about how he supported Dak and the team.

I don't really care one way or the other just like I don't get up in arms about power rankings either. They're just opinions from idiot pundits that don't warrant any reaction at all.
And, every single one of those people... down to the very last one... can go fuck themselves.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So taking pressure off of Dak does nothing?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I like that Tony killed the suspense before it went any further. This team clearly has a shot this year, and he's on board as the backup. No distractions from the fans or media as far as the qb issue goes now... I like it.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Don't agree. His contract is built in. If you don't get enough (or Romo doesn't press to be moved) then you keep him as the best backup in the league.

Actually Dallas has the leverage if say a Denver wants him as a bridge to Lynch being ready.

Romo is the perfect bridge and can help you young QB grow.

That's at least how I would play it.
This makes no sense, there is a cap savings of 5 million next year if Romo leaves.

And even more the following year.

That is a huge chunk of money that could be used elsewhere over the next 2 years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
+1

While we can outright cut him like we did Ware and just move on-- I hope we play it smarter and "Herschel Walker" somebody for some picks. Franchise QBs are the most valuable commodity in the NFL-- and Tony can still help a team the next year or two.

My guess would be we could do a restructured deal with him to lower his cap hit and increase his value, and then trade with a desperate team. Everybody wins. If Tony refuses to restructure or teams low-ball us with offers, you keep him as a backup for 2017 and cut him in 2018 to get cap relief.
There is no way you dangle him all off season and then have him return as a backup.

Yes he was all class in this presser but he still said he has a high desire to play, he will not be Mr nice guy next year and he should not be.

That is just asking for trouble, could you imagine the circus in training camp next year if that were to happen.

I just see no way Romo is back next year unless Dak gets hurt and Romo goes on a historic run to a Superbowl and even then I don't think it would be healthy for the team to take both to camp.

I could see some real fracture happening in the team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yes he was all class in this presser but he still said he has a high desire to play, he will not be Mr nice guy next year and he should not be.
Yup.

I don't know why people are suggesting that he come back as a coach or even worse, a backup QB.

Did he look like a guy who thinks he's done? Not at all. I saw a guy who strongly believes he can still play in this league and has the full intention of doing so.

Tony Romo will not be a Cowboy next year and the only way he isn't playing on someone else's team next season is if he has yet another injury that finally causes him to throw in the towel.

data

Forbes #1
So, Stephen A. Smith has come out and said that the Romo press conference was unnecessary. So, there's that.

If you want to get pissed off, you can listen here.
I don't disagree with everything he says, but the man would claim slavery never existed if it got him ratings. Take off that link.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Tony is a class act. That speech should be shown to every high school and college football player. Team first.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup.

I don't know why people are suggesting that he come back as a coach or even worse, a backup QB.

Did he look like a guy who thinks he's done? Not at all. I saw a guy who strongly believes he can still play in this league and has the full intention of doing so.

Tony Romo will not be a Cowboy next year and the only way he isn't playing on someone else's team next season is if he has yet another injury that finally causes him to throw in the towel.
The funny thing is I've heard some media people say the exact opposite. That they thought Romo's statement almost sounded more like a guy who is about to retire then anything.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So taking pressure off of Dak does nothing?
IT was the right thing to do. What he is doing is to help Dak succeed in any way possible. Part of that is by not forcing Dak to look over his shoulder every second.

Cotton

Staff member
Yup.

I'd like for him to come back as a coach, but only after he is done playing. Obviously, I don't think there is any way in hell he coached next year, or probably even the next 5 years.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
There is no way you dangle him all off season and then have him return as a backup.

That is just asking for trouble, could you imagine the circus in training camp next year if that were to happen.

I just see no way Romo is back next year unless Dak gets hurt and Romo goes on a historic run to a Superbowl and even then I don't think it would be healthy for the team to take both to camp.

I could see some real fracture happening in the team.
Yah... I agree. Keeping him is the least appealing option of all, but if you don't at least consider it, you lose all your leverage in trade negotiations b/c teams will just wait for you to cut him.

If Tony refuses to restructure to a trade-friendly deal, then I think the FO can simply say that 2017 is a new year, it's an open QB competition, and you name your starter after the preseason. Not ideal-- but you give Tony a fair shake to win back his job and you push Dak to grow and develop as well. Competition can do some great things for a team if you handle it the right way.

At this point-- all Tony has done is step aside for this season and agreed to backup Dak. I have not heard anyone name Dak the starter next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak Prescott started the year saying the Cowboys are "Tony's team." Now that Tony Romo is returning as the backup, Prescott is still not calling the Cowboys his team. "This is our team. I said that two minutes ago and I'll say it again: this is our team," Prescott said. "Everybody plays a part in our success in what's happened and they'll play a part in the adversity that comes. The quarterback position always gets the blame and the credit, but if you look around and you watched the game Sunday, you see this is a true team and everybody's playing their part."

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yah... I agree. Keeping him is the least appealing option of all, but if you don't at least consider it, you lose all your leverage in trade negotiations b/c teams will just wait for you to cut him.

If Tony refuses to restructure to a trade-friendly deal, then I think the FO can simply say that 2017 is a new year, it's an open QB competition, and you name your starter after the preseason. Not ideal-- but you give Tony a fair shake to win back his job and you push Dak to grow and develop as well. Competition can do some great things for a team if you handle it the right way.

At this point-- all Tony has done is step aside for this season and agreed to backup Dak. I have not heard anyone name Dak the starter next year.
And how does that work exactly?

Do you think people in that locker room will not take sides and that whoever is the starter will not be looking over there shoulder?

We are talking about the QB here, that guy has to be the undisputed leader of the team.

In your scenario you are giving Romo all of the power, if he balks at a trade or restructure he automatically is in competition for a starting spot.

Why would he not balk?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Do you think people in that locker room will not take sides and that whoever is the starter will not be looking over there shoulder?

We are talking about the QB here, that guy has to be the undisputed leader of the team.

In your scenario you are giving Romo all of the power, if he balks at a trade or restructure he automatically is in competition for a starting spot.

Why would he not balk?

Yeah, they just can't do it.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member

Why would he not balk?
Because if he doesn't win the QB job in training camp (a distinct possibility, especially if Dak finishes strong this year)-- then he is the backup again for 2017 and the clock and his contract is working against him-- not us. We can absorb his contract hit and he is a great security blanket for Dak.

If he wants to start somewhere-- restructure the deal and work with the FO and he can get his wish. I'm not worried about players choosing sides. Once a starter is declared, you move on and players will accept reality-- especially if it was a fair competition over training camp.

Cotton

Staff member
Sturm: I Don't Believe We Have Seen The Last Of This Guy

By Bob Sturm , Special contributor

This has been a difficult week for the type of fan that enjoys the dramatic element that only sports can provide. We could watch scripted dramas on television or read a good novel, but for many, sports are the best drama that anyone could ever imagine. It doesn't require a team of writers, because watching these hundreds of interwoven stories play out before the entire world is plenty worthy of popcorn on our couch.

Somewhere in our desire to be entertained by these gladiators who are often cast as heroes and villains because of the shirts they wear, we still want our happy endings. We want the hero to be rewarded for years and years of hard work. He will suffer his fair share of defeats and injuries, but he will, by the time the credits roll, emerge victorious against that which he battles.

We want that, and even though we know from experience that it almost never works out that way, at times like these, we are disappointed when we see our guy faced with harsh reality.

This one might not have a happy ending.

Tony Romo isn't a national hero. In many cities this week, there are plenty who are wondering what the big deal is all about.

"Romo? You would think this is Tom Brady the way they are acting down there."

It is tough to explain what wins the hearts of those who never miss a snap. Each city in this nation have their own version of Tony Romo. I was raised supporting my favorite QB Lynn Dickey, who unfortunately had seasons end with broken bones more often than the playoffs. My buddy talks about Brian Sipe as if he was Joe Montana.

Romo has had a much better career than either of those two QBs, but the point is that often an athlete grows into the DNA of a sports city in a way that those outside the borders would never understand. It isn't about Super Bowls. It is about our time together. We feel like we saw him as a boy and now we are seeing him stare his own vulnerability in the face as he ponders the end of the road.

He is the guy that was at the center of so many arguments and so many hopeful moments. The proximity to the Dirk Nowitzki fairy tale coming true had many hoping that ultimately Romo would get the last laugh and his place amongst true Dallas Cowboys legends of decades past.

On Tuesday, he bared his heart and in some ways publicly surrendered to reality and pledged his allegiance to the kid who took his place as his body tried to mend one more time. It felt noble and sincere, but you had to know that deep down inside he was wrestling with his own heart through the speech.

He wants to play. This is his team. He wants to climb that mountain that will make this entire journey make sense and he stands at the foot of the hill and realizes he is not going to be allowed to do so.

Most of us will never know the life of a pro athlete. These careers go by in a blink. It has been said that athletes die twice. First, their careers and all they have worked for pass away, and then along with the rest of us mortals decades later (we hope).

But as a "Romo guy", I don't think this is his end. I think he was trying to convince everyone that he is stepping aside, but he has played football long enough to know that the next play of any game could be the one that changes everything.

And just as that put him on ice, it can also put him right back in the huddle.

I believe that sports are the best drama. And I don't believe we have seen the last of the old hero.

In sports, the scripts are better than any writers could ever hope for. With 10 more weeks of football between here and a Lombari Trophy being awared to the champion, surely we don't believe we have seen every plot twist.

Stay tuned. And Tony, stay ready.

Cotton

Staff member
Before stepping aside, Tony Romo asked for a chance to compete
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 17, 2016, 9:56 AM EST

Yes, Tony Romo stepped aside with grace and class this week, acknowledging that the Cowboys were Dak Prescott’s team to lead at this point.

But before he did, the longtime Cowboys quarterback tried one last comeback, which put the bosses who love him in the hard position of saying no.

Via Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, Romo went to team officials last week and asked for a chance to compete with Prescott for the starting job in practice, which realistically is the kind of thing that can happen in August but not in November when you’re in the middle of a playoff push.

“Tony’s smart,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “He’s very bright. And so when he came out and said it, in the end, I don’t think it took him long to figure that wouldn’t be a great thing for the team. We’ve got a good thing, and no one wants Dak looking over his shoulder.”

So with that, Romo pushed through the stages of grief to what looked like acceptance and acknowledged what an eight-game winning streak made inevitable.

Because their starting quarterback is a rookie, he needs all the snaps he can get to prepare himself for a game, so the idea of splitting practice between him and Romo was a non-starter.

“I think he understands that,” Jones said of Romo. “As a competitor, does he want it? Yes. He wouldn’t be in the NFL if he didn’t have that burning in his belly. He’s dying to get out there. And we talked all offseason, he’s never been this fired up about a team, he couldn’t wait. And now to see it work like he thought it would, and the team doing something special, and to want back in, that’s not selfish. It’s just hard.

“He’s tremendously unselfish, because he understands it.”

Of course, there are more questions to answer down the line, as to how this plays out the rest of this season and offseason. But for now, Romo is playing nice, and taking one for the team they built for him to lead.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At the end of the 1992 season Joe Montana played a half of football at the end of the reg season. Steve Young started the whole year and playoffs afterwards.

That one half was amazing and a built momentum for the trade of Montana and a defensive back to the Chiefs for a 1st round pick. Hell, the 49ers themselves half-wanted to keep Montana.

Montana had injury troubles similar to Romo's and was almost exactly the same age as Romo.

What a sendoff that would be. Romo behind this line with Zeke and the WRs playing the way they are. Sick.

Top Bottom