User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sporting News Mock with Calvin Ridley Interview

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    I think Dez deserves one more chance to bounce back.
    disagree

No WR in the 1st round, just no. I've heard there's plenty of decent ones to pick up in the 3rd or 4th. We can pick up some serious talent in the first two rounds in the way of guard, DT, LB, or secondary. I really think it would be beyond foolish to not take these opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchcoach View Post
    No WR in the 1st round, just no. I've heard there's plenty of decent ones to pick up in the 3rd or 4th. We can pick up some serious talent in the first two rounds in the way of guard, DT, LB, or secondary. I really think it would be beyond foolish to not take these opportunities.
    There are lots of WR's in this draft. That doesn't mean good ones will be sitting there still in round 4 but I honestly have no idea right now. It's one of those things where you just have to sort of feel how the draft is going. I mean last year I didn't expect Chido and Lewis to still be available when they were. It worked out. Maybe it will work out in this draft as well. But I don't think you can pass up the best player in the first round being a WR simply because you think there will be guys left in the third/fourth round. You really don't know if that will be the case at that point in the draft.

I mean I love the DT depth as well but I'm not passing up Vea for a guy in the fourth.

Bill Walsh always used to say that over the course of a season games are won and lost according to which team has the better pass rush in the fourth quarter.

So depth on the DL, in theory, equals a better pass rush. And a stellar OL stuffs a pass rush. Or, a stellar OL is opening holes in the fourth quarter so the pass rush is irrelevant.

IMHO, a WR in the first round has to be a gold plated game-breaker, game-changer. I think I'd rather have guys who block and tackle and rush the passer in the fourth quarter in games in late December.

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    There are lots of WR's in this draft. That doesn't mean good ones will be sitting there still in round 4 but I honestly have no idea right now. It's one of those things where you just have to sort of feel how the draft is going. I mean last year I didn't expect Chido and Lewis to still be available when they were. It worked out. Maybe it will work out in this draft as well. But I don't think you can pass up the best player in the first round being a WR simply because you think there will be guys left in the third/fourth round. You really don't know if that will be the case at that point in the draft.

I mean I love the DT depth as well but I'm not passing up Vea for a guy in the fourth.
    My thoughts as well. We badly lack talent - and specifically guys that can get open - at WR. I don't feel like our free agent acquisitions really addressed that need appreciably. A guy like Calvin Ridley would be ideal because he's plug and play and ready to go. DJ Moore is probably not plug and play but may well be the better player in the long run. He would be more of a long-term investment.

I'm not sure you can necessarily find that quality later in the draft. A bunch of guys with average traits. Kirk is a slot guy. Sutton is raw and not that explosive - boom/bust player. Washington is kind of slow and freelances his routes. I like Calloway a lot but he's a damn thug who you really can't count on at all. I would commit sepiku if he was the only WR we took. Well, probably not but I will bitch a lot.

Anywho, the point is you can only draft a guy who is gonna be better than the 6 guys we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by lostxn View Post

I would commit sepiku if he was the only WR we took. Well, probably not but I will bitch a lot.
    I definitely had to google that term. But yes I agree with everything you basically said. Although there are some middle round guys I like in this draft that I think have better than average traits. But banking on those guys being there is hard. I mean you might say you want Chark in the second round. But maybe he goes late first or early second. Or one of my favorites Dante Pettis. You might want him in the third round but maybe he goes in the second.

So just banking on "guys" being there doesn't always work. I'm not saying it won't. It's just not something you can rely on. But if we do wait I'd advocate taking a couple WRs.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Bill Walsh always used to say that over the course of a season games are won and lost according to which team has the better pass rush in the fourth quarter.

So depth on the DL, in theory, equals a better pass rush. And a stellar OL stuffs a pass rush. Or, a stellar OL is opening holes in the fourth quarter so the pass rush is irrelevant.

IMHO, a WR in the first round has to be a gold plated game-breaker, game-changer. I think I'd rather have guys who block and tackle and rush the passer in the fourth quarter in games in late December.
    Yep.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post

I don't disagree with you but there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you look at Superbowls you can see teams that have done it about every way imaginable. There are teams that have won Superbowls with elite secondaries. Teams have won with elite WR corps (Greatest show on turf). Teas have won with elite O-lines (Early 90's Cowboys) and teams have won with elite pass rushes. So I don't know that there is some magic formula. In general I agree build the O-line and D-line because they make everything else easier. Makes it easier to run the ball and pass the ball. And on defense it makes it easier to defend the pass and stop the run. The question is when do you stop? I mean our O-line is pretty studly. Arguably it's time to put some young talent around it and take this thing to the next level. I mean you still need talent around the lines to succeed.

I don't disagree with you but there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you look at Superbowls you can see teams that have done it about every way imaginable. There are teams that have won Superbowls with elite secondaries. Teams have won with elite WR corps (Greatest show on turf). Teas have won with elite O-lines (Early 90's Cowboys) and teams have won with elite pass rushes. So I don't know that there is some magic formula. In general I agree build the O-line and D-line because they make everything else easier. Makes it easier to run the ball and pass the ball. And on defense it makes it easier to defend the pass and stop the run. The question is when do you stop? I mean our O-line is pretty studly. Arguably it's time to put some young talent around it and take this thing to the next level. I mean you still need talent around the lines to succeed.
    All true. It could be that I'm emotionally scarred from Jerry's unending quest for the silver bullet WR, and all the disastrous deals he made in search of the WR Holy Grail. He at one time was channeling Al Davis in the belief that winning always boiled down to elite WRs streaking down the field.

There's no question that they need a deep threat -- or two. I just think a WR receiver in the first round needs to be a Randy Moss (minus the personality issues). Otherwise, some truly excellent WRs emerge in the second and third rounds.

Interestingly, the Cowboys have gone from the worship of messiah WRs -- Galloway, Ismail, Glenn, Owens, Williams -- to a reliance on one talented but fading head case in Bryant.

Teams have won all different ways but there is definitely a decisive trend.