Want Jason Garrett fired? Here's what needs to happen for your wish to come true

midswat

... soon
By David Moore , Staff Writer Contact David Moore on Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

A vocal segment of Cowboys fans can't seem to get over the fact Jason Garrett remains the team's head coach.

That angst didn't dissipate Tuesday as Oakland and Chicago held introductory news conferences for their new hires. In the words of Raiders owner Mark Davis, luring Jon Gruden out of the TV booth to lead his franchise "is a big effing deal."

Effing wasn't the exact word choice, but it's the G-rated translation.

None of this excitement is evident at The Star these days as Garrett goes about deciding who will be his next quarterback coach. That qualifies as a significant coaching change this offseason for Jerry Jones.

For fans who lament the owner's life choices in this matter, for those who can't understand Jones' insistence on sticking with a head coach who has one playoff victory in his 7 1/2 seasons, maybe this will assuage your frustration.

If the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs in 2018, Garrett won't survive.

Skeptics among you will have trouble swallowing that statement. You embrace the idea that Jones has invested so much time into Garrett that the 75-year-old owner is reluctant to change now. You subscribe to the notion that the head coach has some sort of hypnotic hold over Jones and has lulled him into complacency the way he does reporters in his daily news conferences.

It's a process.

Don't buy into those theories. If Garrett isn't the best version of himself in the upcoming season, if the Cowboys don't return to the playoffs, Jones knows he must make a change.

Jones genuinely likes and respects Garrett. But he's no more loyal to Garrett than he was Tony Romo or DeMarcus Ware or any other individual.

Jones' ultimate loyalty is to the organization. That's his identity. That's how his legacy will be judged.

The Cowboys leaned on a rookie quarterback in Dak Prescott and a rookie running back in Ezekiel Elliott to compile a 13-3 record during the '16 season. They secured the No. 1 seed and a first-round bye. An exciting, close loss to Green Bay in the playoffs was viewed as nothing more than a speed bump.

The transition to life after Romo was underway, and it was quicker and more successful than anyone in the organization envisioned possible. Jones can excuse not making the playoffs this season because of the drama swirling around Elliott's suspension and injuries to left tackle Tyron Smith and linebacker Sean Lee that hit at the worst possible time.

That won't be the case 12 months from now.

How can anyone argue that Garrett is continuing to build the program if he fails to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons after going 13-3? He would be viewed as squandering the franchise's key, young assets, not developing them.

He would be viewed as a coach who had been tuned out by his players.

Now, step back and look at the larger picture next January. If the Cowboys are again on the sidelines, it will mean that Garrett's team missed the playoffs in six of his eight full seasons as head coach. That's an indictment Jones will be unable to ignore.

Here's something else to keep in mind. This isn't the AFC where New England reigns supreme and Pittsburgh waits in the wings for the Patriots slip.

There's no dominant franchise in the NFC. Atlanta is the only team in the conference to appear in the playoffs the last two seasons.

Six different teams from the NFC have advanced to the Super Bowl while Garrett has been the head coach of the Cowboys. Eight different teams have advanced to the NFC Championship Game during his tenure.

Jones has discovered a measure of patience in his golden years, but it only goes so far.

This sense of urgency isn't apparent outside the organization as the Cowboys look for a special teams coordinator, a tight ends coach and a few other spots on Garrett's staff. But it's there.

A growing legion of Cowboys fans question whether Jason Garrett is the right man for the job.

Jerry Jones will become a member of that club if the Cowboys aren't in the playoffs one year from now.

midswat

... soon
Poll at the bottom of the article asking what the team should do with Garrett

Thank you for voting!

Get rid of him 70.82% (12,405 votes)

Not sure yet. Time will tell. 15% (2,628 votes)

Keep him 14.18% (2,484 votes)

Total Votes: 17,517

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jones genuinely likes and respects Garrett. But he's no more loyal to Garrett than he was Tony Romo or DeMarcus Ware or any other individual.

Jones' ultimate loyalty is to the organization. That's his identity. That's how his legacy will be judged.
I partially agree with this statement. I do agree that Jones' identity and legacy are tied to the Cowboys, but Moore seems to hint that having a successful organization is what Jones values. And that Garrett needs to show that he can win in Dallas or risk being shown the door. That couldn't be further from the truth.

You can't purposely do things ass backwards for over 20 years with absolutely nothing to show for it, then turn around and claim that you care how this team performs on the field. Sorry not buying it.

As long as the money is flowing in and jerseys and tickets are being sold I don't think he'll be motivated to change anything.

vince

Not So New Member
Don't worry guys. Our schedule won't be as tough next year, guaranteeing we'll make the playoffs. In all honesty it's the only reason we're making the playoffs every other year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If we miss the playoffs in 2018, that would mean that in Garrett's 8 years we made the playoffs twice.

It's impossible to justify continuing on that path.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As long as Dak is healthy I'm pretty confident he's gone next year if we miss the playoffs regardless of circumstances.

shane

DCC 4Life
As long as Dak is healthy I'm pretty confident he's gone next year if we miss the playoffs regardless of circumstances.
Most likely. Sadly, I think he will do enough to linger on for a few more years and ruin Prescott. But maybe they will hire some decent coordinators for once that Red can lean on. Vic Fangio perhaps for D, keep Marinelli as the line coach, and then bring in someone who can work with QBs as OC?

If we miss the playoffs in 2018, that would mean that in Garrett's 8 years we made the playoffs twice.

It's impossible to justify continuing on that path.
It’s been impossible already to justify why he has been on the staff as long as he has.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He should be gone if Dallas flops again next year but Jerrah will keep him around and point to coaching changes or some such crap as justification for keeping him around.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If we make the playoffs and are one and done, Garrett is a lock to return in 2019. It’s a fucking worst case scenario (given the normal shitshow of course).

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If we make the playoffs and are one and done, Garrett is a lock to return in 2019. It’s a fucking worst case scenario (given the normal shitshow of course).
And his contract runs out so when he does his usual crapfest after a good year Jerry wont have to be the bad guy (in his eyes). 2 more frustrating and wasteful years.

midswat

... soon
If we fire Garrett we wouldn’t be able to benefit from his 8 years on the job training.

You guys ever think of that?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I can't bring myself to actively root for the Cowboys to lose games. But if they happen to go 6-10, or something along those lines, it wouldn't bother me because I'll know it's for the greater good.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I thought this was a step by step how to...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't bring myself to actively root for the Cowboys to lose games. But if they happen to go 6-10, or something along those lines, it wouldn't bother me because I'll know it's for the greater good.
I'll be miserable until we get to 6 or 7 losses. Then I'd probably stop caring much at all.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I partially agree with this statement. I do agree that Jones' identity and legacy are tied to the Cowboys, but Moore seems to hint that having a successful organization is what Jones values. And that Garrett needs to show that he can win in Dallas or risk being shown the door. That couldn't be further from the truth.

You can't purposely do things ass backwards for over 20 years with absolutely nothing to show for it, then turn around and claim that you care how this team performs on the field. Sorry not buying it.

As long as the money is flowing in and jerseys and tickets are being sold I don't think he'll be motivated to change anything.
Exactly right. If all Jones cared about was a winning franchise, we wouldn't be sitting here 20 years removed from a SB and consistent playoff appearances when every other NFC team for the most part has ran circles around us. Jones is a carnival barker. Nothing more, nothing less.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know an Italian family back in NJ with NY ties. They might know "a guy". :unsure

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Only thing that concerns me is the uncertainty of picking up a better coach if Garrett gets canned. Chances are a new coach would just be a lateral move. But there is the chance that Jerry unknowingly hires a guy who could make us a contender again. I know he wouldn't intentionally hire someone with a commanding presence.
But I can dream..can't I?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only thing that concerns me is the uncertainty of picking up a better coach if Garrett gets canned. Chances are a new coach would just be a lateral move. But there is the chance that Jerry unknowingly hires a guy who could make us a contender again. I know he wouldn't intentionally hire someone with a commanding presence.
But I can dream..can't I?
There is always the slim chance that he gets ultra frustrated again and hires someone like Bill Parcells again. I know it's slim but it did happen once.

Top Bottom