User Tag List

Thread: The last five offensive first-rounders the Cowboys have drafted are All-Pros, can they make it six?

The last five offensive first-rounders the Cowboys have drafted are All-Pros, can they make it six?

The Cowboys have struck gold whenever theyíve drafted an offensive player in the first round recently.
    By DannyPhantom@DannyPhantom24
    Apr 3, 2018, 8:00am CDT

Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports
    The words of Bob Sturm still resonate with me loudly - diversify your portfolio. Itís not business advice, but rather a message to the Dallas Cowboys to spread some of those premium draft resources to the defensive side of the ball. The team has done a great job finding stars on the offensive side of the ball in the first round, but the same is not true when it comes to the defense.

Here are the teamís last seven first-round picks:

Now, let me hit the refresh button, only this time put my All-Pro filter on to highlight those star players:

All the offensive players are All Pros. All the defensive players are not.

You may also notice that where the Cowboys pick in the draft doesnít have any correlation in how good the player turns out to be. Theyíve drafted great players early in the round and theyíve drafted the great players late in the round. Similarly, whether itís early or late in the round - the defensive players just havenít been nearly as good. The only legit correlation is which side of the ball they play on.

So, as we ponder different draft prospects who would be great players to take with the 19th overall pick, many of us are screaming for a defensive player. Why wouldnít we? The team needs an impact defender far more than they need an offensive star. But what if this team is just remarkably better at finding offensive gems than they are at defensive players? If there was any truth to such a commonality, wouldnít you be more adept to saying, ďlet it rideĒ and just keep going after offensive stars? If it came down to drafting an All Pro or a JAG, we would all take the All Pro every time until we have 11 of them.

While some of this is just coincidence and Iím certainly not implying the team canít improve in their ability to select quality defenders, for this little exercise - letís roll with the idea that drafting an offensive player equates to another star joining the roster. If that was the only way to land a great player (which itís clearly not), which players would have the best chance to be the next All Pro offensive star?

The Falling Star

Everyone ponders over whether or not the Cowboys should take Calvin Ridley if he falls to 19. While he could be a great receiver in the NFL, the upside of D.J. Moore could propel him into a star. Like Ridley, Moore has great speed and can explode out of his cuts. If you closed your eyes and imagined one guy who could be the next best thing at wide receiver, itís hard not to think that Moore could be that guy.

As cool as that headline is for the offensive side of the ball, the last 3 defensive 1st rounders have looked like hot garbage.

Too early on Taco. Could still be a very good player. What if he's Tony Tolbert? You can take that at 28 and feel good.

Claiborne was an epic mistake especially given how obvious the drafting of Cox or DeCastro should have been.

Byron Jones has met bare minimum levels of acceptableness. Good character guy. Not a total disaster as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    Too early on Taco. Could still be a very good player. What if he's Tony Tolbert? You can take that at 28 and feel good.

Claiborne was an epic mistake especially given how obvious the drafting of Cox or DeCastro should have been.

Byron Jones has met bare minimum levels of acceptableness. Good character guy. Not a total disaster as a starter.
    Your description of Jones is not what I'm looking for in the 1st round. That's what I expect out of a 3rd or 4th rounder.

5. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Your description of Jones is not what I'm looking for in the 1st round. That's what I expect out of a 3rd or 4th rounder.
    I agree, that's why I said bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post

Agreed on Taco. He was playing pretty well at the end of the season. If he can be a 6-8 sack guy I wonít be mad for #28