Random 2018 Mock Drafts Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Josh Norris...

2018 NFL Mock Draft No. 1
Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Friends, it is time.

I have not watched all of these prospects, and that will be apparent if you read the reasoning for each selection. And please do read, it’s the important part of this experiment. I mainly focused on potential needs or upgradable positions.

Next week I will be attending East-West Shrine Game practices. And seven days after that I will be doing the same at the Senior Bowl. So follow along @JoshNorris.

1. Cleveland Browns - QB Sam Darnold, USC - We all know this will be a quarterback, the only question is which one. We can only assume John Dorsey and Hue Jackson will work in tandem to identify the top passer. Jackson previously discussed his height threshold (6’2), potentially eliminating Baker Mayfield. Peter King cited a scouting source stating Dorsey would fall in love with Josh Allen… but I just can’t. The Darnold versus Rosen debate will rage on for months.

2. New York Giants - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA - With Dave Gettleman in charge, this could absolutely be an offensive lineman or defensive lineman. But Gettleman has been great at finding mid, late or undrafted talents at offensive line. The time is now for the Giants to take a quarterback. Teams need to take advantage of picking in the top two when quarterback is even slightly a need.

3. Indianapolis Colts - EDGE Bradley Chubb, NC State - The Colts have a number of non-guaranteed contract decisions to make on the defensive side of the ball. The goal of this pick is to find a prospect who creates big plays. Saquon Barkley does that on offense, and Jim Irsay insinuated he’d be in favor of this pick, but the perceived best edge rusher in the country would be ideal as well.

4. Cleveland Browns (from HOU) - RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State - The previous regime would not have spent a top-five selection on a running back. Dorsey might not either, after drafting Kareem Hunt outside of the top two rounds and signing Spencer Ware on a futures with the Chiefs. But these are “football guys,” right?

5. Denver Broncos - QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma - Paxton Lynch is not it. The Broncos will certainly be in the veteran quarterback market. With that said, there’s plenty of pressure on John Elway to nail a quarterback evaluation. When is the next time the Broncos will be drafting in the top 5? Take advantage of it if there’s a quarterback worthy of the selection.

6. New York Jets - CB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama - Fitzpatrick could absolutely be selected earlier. I would be surprised if he’s drafted early as a true safety. This is a similar conversation as Jalen Ramsey a few years ago. Corners are more valuable.

7. Tampa Bay Bucs - T Connor Williams, Texas - Self-evaluation needs to insert itself. I know Jason Licht drafted Donovan Smith in the early second round just a few years ago. But a left tackle with slow feet is a bad combination, especially when paired with a quarterback who can be slow to process/deliver/move at times.

8. Chicago Bears - LB Roquan Smith, Georgia - The Bears are a difficult team to project for. They are “good” at many spots. In this case, they update a spot that featured multiple players due to injuries over the last few years. Plus, Smith produces Patrick Willis vibes.

9/10. San Francisco 49ers *Coin flip* - G Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame - Joe Staley is still playing at a high level, but with his age it would not be surprising to see the 49ers draft a LT in waiting. Instead, Nelson instantly turns a weakness into a strength at one of the interior spots.

9/10. Oakland Raiders *Coin flip* - T Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame - Donald Penn is good. Donald Penn will be 35 years old next season. One purpose of the draft is to replace high priced, declining players on the roster. Perhaps that is the move here.

11. Miami Dolphins - S Derwin James, FSU - I polled Dolphins fans on Twitter on who they wanted to be picked here. Some said an edge rusher. Others said corner. But the overriding name was James. I guess the Dolphins want to run three safety looks. I wanted to give them Marcus Davenport, but this doesn’t appear to be a franchise that uses early round picks on smaller program prospects.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - T Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan - Taylor Moton earned high praise last year, but that was at right tackle. Okorafor is the one who locked down the left side for the last two seasons and played at a very high level. The Bengals need to self-scout and realize they need offensive line help despite spending high picks on those spots.

13. Washington Redskins - C Billy Price, Ohio State - Daniel Jeremiah called Price one of the better prospects he’s seen at the position in the last decade. Center might not be a weakness, but why not turn it into a strength?

14. Green Bay Packers - EDGE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson - As of now, we don’t even know who the Packers defensive coordinator is. The Packers need to get younger on the edge

15. Arizona Cardinals - QB Josh Allen, Wyoming - The Cardinals do not have a quarterback on their roster. Allen could go earlier, he could go later. He could be ready, he could sit. Right now, I have no idea.

16. Baltimore Ravens - WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama - Every year we suggest Ozzie Newsome could select an Alabama player. Sometimes that statement is met with an eye roll. But then it happens, and this is a position of need.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - T Orlando Brown, Oklahoma - Brown is a mammoth. The Chargers have one of the better defenses in the NFL on paper and need help at right tackle.

18. Seattle Seahawks - S Ronnie Harrison, Alabama - The Seahawks are going through a significant change. After shifting from Marshawn Lynch to Russell Wilson carrying the offense, the Seahawks defense will be altered this offseason. Perhaps to the point of no Kam Chancellor, No Richard Sherman, no Michael Bennett and no Cliff Avril. The team seems set at defensive end, but not in the back half.

19. Dallas Cowboys - DL Da'Ron Payne, Alabama - You watched him in the CFP Championship. Payne picked the right night to have his best game. Anchor, heavy hands, backfield vision. The Cowboys need a player like this on the interior.

20. Detroit Lions - RB Derrius Guice, LSU - Guice dealt with a thigh injury this season, slowing him down in practice and multiple games. Once he returned, he was outstanding. His cuts, spins and balance on contact allow him to create yards. I love Ameer Abdullah as an individual player, but it is not working out with the Lions. He has yet to eclipse 600 rushing yards in a season with the team.

21. Buffalo Bills - DL Vita Vea, Washington - Brute strength. Vea can halt and toss offensive linemen. Clogging the middle and allowing linebackers room to run is important in Sean McDermott’s defense, which brings me to…

22. Buffalo Bills (from KC) - LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama - I know Preston Brown posted a ton of tackles. I’m not calling him bad. But I’m saying that McDermott’s scheme, at its best, features linebackers with range and speed, both against the run and pass. Evans has that speed.

23. Los Angeles Rams - T Kolton Miller, UCLA - The Rams were one of, if not the, healthiest teams in the NFL last season, especially at offensive line. I cannot stress enough how important a good, healthy offensive line is. Groom a player to take over for the outstanding Andrew Whitworth down the road.

24. Carolina Panthers - CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State - I have no idea if corner thresholds (arm length) will remain with Marty Hurney since Dave Gettleman is gone. Based on his history, I don’t think so. The Panthers need corner help after James Bradberry failed to take a step forward and Daryl Worley/Kevon Seymour rotated at points this season.

25. Tennessee Titans - EDGE Marcus Davenport, UTSA
26. Jacksonville Jaguars - WR Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
27. New Orleans Saints - DL Maurice Hurst, Michigan
28. Philadelphia Eagles - T Martinas Rankin, Miss State
29. Atlanta Falcons - DL Taven Bryan, Florida
30. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Josh Jackson, Iowa
31. Minnesota Vikings - EDGE Harold Landry, Boston College
32. New England Patriots - CB Carlton Davis, Auburn

lostxn

DCC 4Life
wtf do we keep getting linked to DL in the first? I mean, I wouldn't be pissed but I think we have bigger needs. By the way, if Calvin Ridley makes it to 16 I would hope we would go up and get him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
DT is a pretty big need.
Agreed. We look to finally have some decent talent at DE. And Maliek Collins needs to go back to 3T, where he is light years better than when he plays the nose. A big body that can make a play here and there while holding the point would go along ways to getting this Dline playing like it should be. Which in turn would allow the LBers to do their jobs better and not fighting off guards constantly. I would love to get somebody like Payne or Vea to do just that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
wtf do we keep getting linked to DL in the first? I mean, I wouldn't be pissed but I think we have bigger needs. By the way, if Calvin Ridley makes it to 16 I would hope we would go up and get him.
It's just as much of a need as WR, especially if Irving isn't a long-term piece.

I'm ok with Ridley but I don't think he's a guy you trade up for, he's not an elite athlete and he's not physically dominant at the catch point and on jump balls.

He'd be fine at 19 but I also think we'd be fine with a guy like Anthony Miller in the 2nd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's just as much of a need as WR, especially if Irving isn't a long-term piece.

I'm ok with Ridley but I don't think he's a guy you trade up for, he's not an elite athlete and he's not physically dominant at the catch point and on jump balls.

He'd be fine at 19 but I also think we'd be fine with a guy like Anthony Miller in the 2nd.
Irving should be a long term piece. Not sure why he wouldn't be. 3 technique is set.

But a NT does make sense. We need one. I don't think it's as big as our needs on offense but certainly a big need.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Irving should be a long term piece. Not sure why he wouldn't be. 3 technique is set.

But a NT does make sense. We need one. I don't think it's as big as our needs on offense but certainly a big need.
My thoughts exactly. Our defense is pretty good when all our LBs are playing. But like I said, I wouldn't be mad.

We have 10 picks in this years draft. We have 3 4th round picks (2 of which are at the bottom). That should give us a great chance to really boost our depth. We should be able to get quality swings at a DT, WR, LB, OL, a safety all in the first 4 rounds. So that's exciting. We also have plenty of ammo to move around (not so exciting).

It's hard not to concentrate on the 1st round (Christian Kirk) but this draft, as always, will be won in the mid round picks.

1st rd: 1
2nd rd: 1
3rd rd: 1
4th rd: 3 (of which two are comp picks)
5th rd: 2 (both comp picks)
6th rd: 1
7th rd: 1

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

He should be but you never know with these concussions and he's a bit of a flake, I wouldn't be shocked if they traded him for a 2nd if he signed an offer sheet with another team.

I'm just kind of postulating on that though, either way if the BPA is a DE or DT I'd be more than happy to spend another 1st on the position.

There is more than enough room in the rotation for a high round pick along with Lawrence/Collins/Irving/Charlton/Crawford, especially since Crawford should be released soon due to his contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would love Payne, not quick twitch enough for ol' Rod though.
Do you love him more than Vita Vea for us? I mean either way we are drafting for the NT spot. I'm not a huge Vita guy and wouldn't be upset if Dallas passed on him but I think if we go with a DT in the first he might be my favorite choice. At least he is the true monster NT type. Someone that can probably make up for Irving's lack of sturdiness against the run next to him.

Payne has what like 1 sack on the season? I think he's just sort of an overrated Alabama DT.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Do you love him more than Vita Vea for us? I mean either way we are drafting for the NT spot. I'm not a huge Vita guy and wouldn't be upset if Dallas passed on him but I think if we go with a DT in the first he might be my favorite choice. At least he is the true monster NT type. Someone that can probably make up for Irving's lack of sturdiness against the run next to him.

Payne has what like 1 sack on the season? I think he's just sort of an overrated Alabama DT.
Is Vea a 1st rounder?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I like him more than Vea, yes, I think he's quicker and plays with better leverage because he's shorter.

Payne is a monster vs. the run though, most of his lack of stats can be attributed to their 2-gap scheme which basically asks their 3 DL to occupy/engage. He is a perfect 1-tech who can sit in there between the C/G for 10 years and absorb double teams.

Chances are there will be someone else I like more when we're on the clock but I wouldn't complain if he was the pick at all.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
YOUR TEAM: DALLAS COWBOYS
GAME OVER!
New Draft Home (Scores)

Your score is: 20574 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29 (PITT): Vita Vea, DT, Washington (B)
Round 2 Pick 18: Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A+)
Round 2 Pick 25 (TENN): Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech (A)
Round 3 Pick 15 (ARI): Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (A)
Round 3 Pick 17: Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis (A+)
Round 3 Pick 30 (BUF): Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (CLE): Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford (A+)
Round 4 Pick 23 (LAR): Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26 (JAX): Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon (A)
Round 5 Pick 21 (BUF): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia (A)
Round 6 Pick 19: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland (A-)
Round 7 Pick 18: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA (A-)

I love how this site makes me look like a genius GM...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
By Dane Brugler, The Sports Xchange
Publish Date: January 16, 2018 04:38:05 PM

Brugler's 2018 mock draft

After the underclassman deadline expired Monday, the next step of the NFL Draft process is to add about 100 underclassmen to this draft class. Then there is the scouting all-star circuit, followed by the Combine and a series of pro days and individual workouts.
Arguably the deepest position in this year's draft class, cornerback, also is the most well-represented position in this mock draft scenario. Alabama's Minkah Fitzpatrick is a near lock for a top-10 pick and Ohio State's Denzel Ward shouldn't have to wait much longer to hear his name.
The next three corners in this mock draft: Iowa's Josh Jackson put himself on the first-round radar with his ball production in 2017, UCF's Mike Hughes emerged as a lock-down player for the undefeated Knights, and Louisville's Jaire Alexander put together strong tape that gives off a Joe Haden vibe.

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold, QB, USC
The Browns' search for a long-term answer at quarterback will continue into the off-season. Darnold's turnovers stand out, but so do his intangibles, passing instincts and ability to move the pocket and create plays. Three months before the draft, Darnold is the current favorite to go No. 1 to the Browns.

2. New York Giants - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
The Giants don't expect to be drafting in the top three very often and with the future of Eli Manning very much up in the air, the Giants should target the quarterback of the future. Rosen is far from a clean prospect, but his natural passing skills and arm talent are starter quality.

3. Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
Entering his second draft, Colts' general manager Chris Ballard has plenty of holes to fill. The defense lacks impact players on the edge who can put pressure on the quarterback, but Chubb would change that. The N.C. State pass rusher is a strong candidate to be the first non-quarterback drafted.

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston) - Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama
With a league-low 13 takeaways on the season, the Browns lack playmakers in the secondary. Regardless if he is playing cornerback, free safety or nickel, Fitzpatrick has the intelligence, leadership and physical skill-set to be a game-changer.

5. Denver Broncos - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Denver has major question marks at quarterback and there are obvious connections to make between the Broncos and the Wyoming quarterback. In a controlled setting like the Senior Bowl, Allen has a chance to shine under the direction of the Broncos' coaching staff, and it is fair to assume that John Elway will be intrigued with his elite physical traits.

6. New York Jets - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
With three quarterbacks off the board in this scenario, the Jets could look to Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. However, a playmaker like Barkley still on the board would be hard to pass up.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
The Buccaneers need to do some reshuffling and upgrading on the offensive line. An offensive guard in the top seven picks isn't a sexy selection, but Nelson is arguably the best player in the 2018 draft class and would help stabilize Tampa's interior protection.

8. Chicago Bears - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
Chicago lacks playmakers on the outside at cornerback and needs to find upgrades this off-season. Ward lacks ideal height, but his feet, hips and eyes are what make him a potentially special cover man.

9. San Francisco 49ers - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Combining the talents of Smith with Reuben Foster would remind 49ers' fans of Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. Smith would be drafted to be the starting WILL linebacker, but with Foster's injury history and off-field concerns, he would also provide insurance.

10. Oakland Raiders - Vita Vea, DT, Washington
The Raiders have one of the weakest interior defensive-line units in the AFC and need to upgrade from the inside out on defense. At 340 pounds, Vea is a rare player with the power to handle double-teams and athleticism to chase down ballcarriers on the perimeter.

11. Miami Dolphins - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
Quarterback and offensive line are options here, but the Dolphins also need to make upgrades on the defensive side of the ball, including at linebacker. Edmunds has the size of a defensive end, but moves more like a safety and displays the budding instincts to be a future NFL Pro Bowler.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - Connor Williams, OT, Texas
The Bengals need to address offensive tackle this off-season, possibly with this pick. After putting together first-round tape in 2016, Williams had a roller coaster 2017 season, starting with a poor September followed by a mid-season knee injury and then a strong finish.

13. Green Bay Packers - Marcus Davenport, DE/OLB, Texas-San Antonio
With the future of Clay Matthews Jr. in a Packers' uniform in doubt, Green Bay will be looking to add another pass-rush option to the arsenal. Davenport is a good-looking athlete with a hoops background and the potential to be a difference-maker.

14. Washington Redskins - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
After drafting an Alabama defensive lineman in the first round last year (Jonathan Allen), the Redskins could repeat the recipe this April. Payne moves very well for his size and has the upper body power to bully blockers, allowing coaches to line him up at various positions.

15. Arizona Cardinals - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
The quarterback position is currently a question mark on the Cardinals' depth chart and Mayfield is one of the possible answers. He would present a considerable change from the retired Carson Palmer, but that is not exactly a bad thing.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
The Ravens have only two wideouts with 20-plus catches this season (Mike Wallace, Jeremy Maclin) and need to add a young playmaker to help quarterback Joe Flacco. Ridley offers NFL-ready route-running and the play speed to create -- both before and after the catch.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - Derwin James, SS, Florida State
Picking a safety this high in the draft would buck the trend of what the Chargers usually do in the first round, but James has the athletic profile and NFL ceiling that should force the front office to think outside the box.

18. Seattle Seahawks - Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
One of the break-through prospects this season, Jackson was No. 1 in ball production (26 passes defended, eight interceptions), and he offers the size, length and instincts that fit well in Seattle.

19. Dallas Cowboys - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
Most Cowboys fans weren't thrilled with a Michigan defensive lineman in the first round last year, but they should be intrigued if Dallas goes back to Ann Arbor to upgrade the defensive front. Hurst is a disruptive three-technique prospect who offers the quickness and power to surge through gaps and make plays in the backfield.

20. Detroit Lions - Billy Price, C, Ohio State
The Lions drafted an Ohio State offensive lineman (Taylor Decker) in Bob Quinn's first draft as general manager and he could return to Columbus for another one. Price is a day one starter at either center or guard and will help stabilize the interior of Detroit's line.

21. Buffalo Bills - Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
The Bills need to make some changes on the offensive line. McGlinchey has experience on both sides of the offensive line and could help inside at guard if needed with his power as a run blocker.

22. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City) - Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
The Bills traded for Kelvin Benjamin and drafted Zay Jones in the second round last year, but there is still a need for a playmaker like Kirk. The former Texas A&M receiver would also be an immediate upgrade as a return man.

23. Los Angeles Rams - Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida
Regardless if Trumaine Johnson returns beyond this season, the Rams need help at the cornerback position. Hughes, who is at his best in press-man coverage, emerged this past season as one of college football's top cover men and returners.

24. Carolina Panthers - Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
The Panthers have some questions on the offensive line and one of the answers could come at this pick. Brown blocks out the sun with his size, which also limits his movement, but he does just enough to get the job done.

25. Tennessee Titans - Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
Tennessee's defensive front hasn't created enough pressure on the quarterback, making pass rusher a likely option here. Hubbard thrives with his athleticism and intelligence to break down the edge and cause disruption.

26. Atlanta Falcons - Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford
With Dontari Poe currently on a one-year deal, the Falcons could be in the mix for a versatile defensive tackle in the early rounds. Phillips was a one-man wrecking crew at the nose for Stanford with 103 tackles, which led all FBS defensive linemen.

27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
New Orleans has struggled to fill the shoes of Jimmy Graham since he departed via trade. Goedert has Pro Bowl potential with his athleticism for his size.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama
The Steelers have dealt with several issues in the back half of the defense all season, something that was obvious in the loss to the Jaguars. Adding a player with Harrison's downhill speed and toughness would be a good start to rebuilding the Pittsburgh image on defense.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
With Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee both free agents, the Jaguars will potentially be in the market for an athletic big man for the outside. Sutton is unpolished in several areas, but he plays like a power forward on the football field.

30. Philadelphia Eagles - Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
With Jason Peters coming off ACL surgery and turning 36 years old in the off-season, the Eagles would be wise to upgrade the offensive tackle position. Okorafor is still in the development phase, but his traits have NFL scouts drooling, boasting impressive movements for his 330-pound frame.

31. Minnesota Vikings - Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
The Vikings have one of the NFL's top defensive units, but are always looking to add depth in the trenches. Bryan is still figuring things out, but his athletic movement skills for a three-technique jump off the screen.

32. New England Patriots - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
With the future of Malcolm Butler in New England up in the air, the Patriots will be doing homework on this year's cornerback class. Alexander lacks elite size, but he puts himself in position to make plays on the ball

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I love how this site makes me look like a genius GM...
I hate how that site rates the players. It really gives people a very poor understanding of the player values.

Goedert, Edmunds and proabably Harrison are sure fire first rounders. Meeks in the 4th is laughable, Michel in the fifth is insane and Moore in the sixth is just stupid.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So a 3T to share snaps with Irving and Collins (I know they moved him but they need to move him back). Makes perfect sense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So a 3T to share snaps with Irving and Collins (I know they moved him but they need to move him back). Makes perfect sense.
Collins needs to be a reserve honestly. I don't think he is an effective starter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it's just dumb and a sign of someone who has no idea what we actually need.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah it's just dumb and a sign of someone who has no idea what we actually need.
Honestly, I think we do need a consistent 3-T. If there is a guy like Fletcher Cox-type, that could do wonders.

I know people think we are set with Irving, but I am not convinced.

Top Bottom