Decoding Linehan - How The Elliott TD Run Was Built Over Weeks and Weeks

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor

This is the type of post I absolutely love creating. I will be honest, as a writer, you want to be in the print edition of the Dallas Morning News. The blog does not get tossed onto everyone's porch in the morning and although I realize times are changing, there is some intrigue to being a piece of the print world.

But, it is days like today where you see this could never be in a newspaper. This type of post is all about the pictures, not the words. Sure, I will provide some commentary here, but you need to see the videos to fully appreciate why the Cowboys out-schemed the Bengals on Sunday. They used tactics to increase any sort of physical advantage and they did so by putting a lot of tape out there for the league to consume. This is the "7-days to Sunday" beauty of football. All week, teams study every detail and every frame of film to figure out what is going to happen at 3:25 on Sunday.

The Bengals did their homework and the Cowboys used it against them. That is why you can have great faith in Scott Linehan and his offense. They are now winning before the game even starts with the way this offense is being coordinated. The players have to carry out the plan, but make no mistake - the plan is beautiful.

Let's start with those 2 early touchdowns.

The first is just your basic zone read give to Ezekiel Elliott.

You should watch that play once for each player on the offense. They are all doing a great job. It is a zone read, so look at Witten on Elliott's side. He will not block 96-Carlos Dunlap by design. He will actually run a pass route (remember that). Dunlap will be unblocked and Dak will read him at the mesh point. If Dunlap takes the RB, the QB keeps. If he takes the QB, he gives to Zeke. Then Zeke follows the OL that dominates again. Look at Martin, Frederick, and Leary. I would say both guards get A+ for their work here. This is so good. They both get their guy at the line and get the LB behind him. Again, on most plays, Elliott must thank his lucky stars which team drafted him.

OK. This is the next drive in nearly the same spot. The formation is flipped, but Witten is still on Elliott's side.

Did you see that? Witten left 96-Dunlap again for a route to draw a safety with him. Dunlap reads the RB and crashes down on Zeke. Dak keeps and literally scores untouched.

Too easy, right? Block the front side, but the backside DE in a bind. And then he cannot be right. He can't get both. In fact, on these two plays, he can hardly make up his mind. And make no mistake Carlos Dunlap is a great player. He finished 4th in sacks in the NFL last year.

Now, let's move on to something else that I think was pretty awesome from Sunday. The QB Waggle play-action play that they have been using all year. Since Dak was in diapers, this has been a play they have shown every week - often the very first play he runs.

It is my theory that this was one of the best ways to get Prescott comfortable under center. He was almost all shotgun in college, but they want to do more under-center in the NFL where you can unleash a much more potent play-action game. But, to do so, you have to install some things that make his reads easy and his feet comfortable. That is why one of the first ideas was this play-action play that almost always goes right, but we have seen him go to the left a few times, too.

Let's show you:

Rams preseason - August 13.

Dolphins game the next week in preseason - August 19.

Week 1 against the Giants.

They keep running it over and over again. Well, Mr Dunlap had enough on Sunday. He watched his film and he was about to end this nonsense the next time the Cowboys tried it:

He tries to end Prescott on this one. He was not falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

So, Mr Linehan, what next?

Well, not only am I lucky enough to be your blogger, but I also get to talk with Jason Witten each Monday on the radio. I think these few minutes are worth your time:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/10/11/decoding-linehan-elliott-td-run-built-weeks-weeks

He started by talking about those "dirty runs" out of this 12-personnel set against the Giants. I believe one of those is here:

Look at all the traffic. Too many bodies. Swaim can't clear a hole.

So, the next idea is to use the TE's in 12 personnel to create a diversion. Link the passing threat to the running game. Then, almost like the zone read, you can make the defense choose their poison. And then you make them wrong.

So, now, here - once again as a "drive starter" is the play-action QB waggle. Except they don't pass it. They run off the pass look. Watch everyone sit on the tight ends. Witten even talks about drawing 2 players out to the flat. Now look at Zeke's path. Right where they were supposed to be.

End zone view proves it even more:

That is so beautiful it almost brings a tear to your eyes. And you are not going to catch Zeke from behind. Look at that nitro.

Bravo to Scott Linehan and his boys. This is a masterpiece of setting things up weeks in advance. We also talked about the set up of a Prescott keeper on the zone read. We also have been waiting for the deep shot off play-action. I assume Green Bay should prepare because that is likely sitting in the bin, too.

WEEK 5 DATA

I just can't get over how good their "average yards to go" on 2nd and 3rd down are this year. Many people continue to wonder what Prescott would be like on 3rd and long and we almost never get to see it because this Cowboys offense is constantly "ahead of the chains" and that means 3rd and long is almost never happening. It is 3rd and 3 most of the time.

Truly remarkable stuff.

DAK PRESCOTT THROW CHART

Efficient and accurate. He stays out of trouble and he makes proper decisions. I really am impressed at how this has worked without Dez Bryant. Also, lots of yards after the catch this week as they are hitting receivers in stride and then they rack up yardage on their own.

PERSONNEL GROUPINGS

Early in the season, they were having trouble with 12 personnel, and now with a couple ideas thrown in, it has turned into a really productive grouping.

Meanwhile, 11 personnel has 3 different sub-categories. 11 personnel under center, 11-personell in shotgun, and 11 personnel in shotgun with an empty backfield. Add them all up and it got 31 snaps for 274 yards. That is almost 9 yards per snap!

This is with your rookie, backup QB. Which is why I go back to the question of Romo over Dak. What exactly could you improve by changing QBs right now? I realize Tony Romo is a far more accomplished QB and has had a career Prescott could only hope to attain, but seriously, what could this offense do better than they are doing right now without Dez Bryant by changing QBs? This is a serious case of something not being broken.

SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS

The greatest hope at the bye week was likely 4-2. Now, they can go for 5-1. This offense is dynamic and devastating and they knocked out the Bengals within an hour on Sunday. Green Bay will be another new challenge, but either way, they have already put themselves in a position where now you could start to see the math become favorable for post-season play. Absolutely remarkable start to the season from this offense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The coaching this year has been excellent.
Ok, now come on, you are a smart guy, I've seen you post smart things.

Did the coaches just fet better, or is it that we have a running game and a competent QB?

Keeping in mind how everyone thought the coaching was fine in 2014 as well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Ok, now come on, you are a smart guy, I've seen you post smart things.

Did the coaches just fet better, or is it that we have a running game and a competent QB?

Keeping in mind how everyone thought the coaching was fine in 2014 as well.

I think we are coaching more aggressively and proactively this season than we have in the past.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we are coaching more aggressively and proactively this season than we have in the past.
I agree and I think a big part of it is that they have put their full trust in Dak. Last year our coaches had training wheels on all the QBs not named Romo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I agree and I think a big part of it is that they have put their full trust in Dak. Last year our coaches had training wheels on all the QBs not named Romo.
I think it's obvious it's personnel related both at QB and RB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it's obvious it's personnel related both at QB and RB.
Last year our QBs weren't changing plays at the line of scrimmage. We weren't passing the ball from under center. Our offense just in no way looked the same. It's funny that they have put more trust in a rookie QB then they were willing to do with NFL veterans but they absolutely have. So the way they are calling plays this year is vastly different then last year. Same coaches, just different trust level in the players.

The defense could be a slightly different story. I actually think some props need to be given to the new DB coach.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Last year our QBs weren't changing plays at the line of scrimmage. We weren't passing the ball from under center. Our offense just in no way looked the same. It's funny that they have put more trust in a rookie QB then they were willing to do with NFL veterans but they absolutely have. So the way they are calling plays this year is vastly different then last year. Same coaches, just different trust level in the players.

The defense could be a slightly different story. I actually think some props need to be given to the new DB coach.
So we are willing to trust a rookie but not the guys last year. Thinks it speaks to not so much a lack of trust in "anyone but Romo" and more an indictment of how friggin bad the QB and RB was last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So we are willing to trust a rookie but not the guys last year. Thinks it speaks to not so much a lack of trust in "anyone but Romo" and more an indictment of how friggin bad the QB and RB was last year.
Well that very well could be. Although I think they trusted the RB. We just couldn't run the ball consistently with no passing game to compliment it and a defense getting gashed as a result of that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No doubt. The talent and margin for error was so small last year that big plays couldn't cover for coaching mistakes. We had terrible clock management in several games. It nearly cost us one of our few wins vs Washington.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No doubt. The talent and margin for error was so small last year that big plays couldn't cover for coaching mistakes. We had terrible clock management in several games. It nearly cost us one of our few wins vs Washington.
I'm not just talking about last year though. I feel like before this season we counted heavily on out-talenting teams if that makes sense. So if we didn't win our personnel battles we had problems.

This season we seem to be doing more plays that take advantage of opponent tendencies and weaknesses.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not just talking about last year though. I feel like before this season we counted heavily on out-talenting teams if that makes sense. So if we didn't win our personnel battles we had problems.

This season we seem to be doing more plays that take advantage of opponent tendencies and weaknesses.
I would agree.

That has always been a weakness under Garrett -- that we seem to do more out-talenting than out-scheming the opposition.

But we sure are doing a great job from the coaching standpoint this season. There's lots of stuff on video that looks great when you see it afterward.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Agreed. It also seems like we are coaching more to our strengths, as well. RE: Dak.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Yeah it kinda seems that way and 2014 seemed to have more scheming as well.

I wonder if Garret and Romo did not try and add to much in 2015 those 1st couple of games in 2015 seemed much different than 2014.

Notably the Dunbar stuff.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah it kinda seems that way and 2014 seemed to have more scheming as well.

I wonder if Garret and Romo did not try and add to much in 2015 those 1st couple of games in 2015 seemed much different than 2014.

Notably the Dunbar stuff.
The first drive they tried running Randle the same way they ran Murray and it mostly worked, until the redzone when the Giants realized Randle was kind of a joke. After that, the running game went totally south, even with Romo in the game and the OL healthy.

That forced major changes.

Top Bottom