Beasley out to prove making 2012 roster was no fluke

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ready to build on his debut
Beasley out to prove making 2012 roster was no fluke
Posted on 06/10/2013 by PonyFans.com

A year ago at this time, few Cowboys fans knew who Cole Beasley was. As the Dallas Cowboys’ rookie mini-camp rolled into OTAs (Organized Team Activities) and mini-camps and eventually the team’s official training camp, his story was told by writers and announcers, many of whom scoured rosters and press releases to identify the small but elusive slot receiver. Observers marveled at Beasley’s ability to run crisp routes and catch everything that was thrown within his reach, but most dismissed him as little more than an offseason novelty act.

After making the 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent out of SMU, Cole Beasley played in 10 games as a rookie for the Dallas Cowboys in 2012 (photo by Dallas Cowboys PR).
Then Beasley did something few expected: he made the team.

Beasley was on the Cowboys’ 53-man roster at the end of training camp, and stayed throughout the season, playing in 10 games and catching 15 passes for 128 yards. A year later, Beasley said he finds himself with a year of experience, but almost the exact same emotions as he tries to increase his role on the team.

“It doesn’t feel that much different,” Beasley said. “I’ve still got to come in and compete. I didn’t play a lot last year, so I need to figure out a way to find a bigger role, to be on the field more. If I can get on the field more, more balls will come my way.”

Head coach Jason Garrett and quarterback Tony Romo both went out of their way to praise Beasley during his rookie season last year, and now new Dallas receivers coach Derek Dooley is joining in.

“It starts with the physical skills, and one of the reasons he’s here is that he has outstanding short-area quickness,” Dooley said. “He has great hands and runs great routes, and he’s a very smart, instinctive player.”

Beasley said he was sorry to see Jimmy Robinson, who coached the Dallas receivers, leave over the offseason, but said that Dooley (who coached receivers at SMU from 1997-99 under then-head coach Mike Cavan) is an able teacher who will help Beasley become a better player.

“(Robinson) is a good coach, and you never want to see someone get let go, but it’s a business,” Beasley said. “(Dooley) is a really good coach, too. He’s more detailed about things. He goes over every little thing. Coaches assume you know how to play the position, but (Dooley) is going to make sure you know the little details, because he explains everything so well.”

Teams constantly seek out receivers who are built more like the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Dez Bryant than like Beasley, who said he now carries “about 182 pounds on his almost-5-foor-8 frame. But Dooley is a coach who clearly has no objection to playing diminutive receivers.

“I had a guy with the Dolphins who’s about Cole’s size, and he did OK, right?,” Dooley said. “Wes Welker did really well for me, and he’s still doing really well. It’s easy to compare the two.”

At times, Beasley has shied away from the comparisons to Welker, the acknowledged standard for receivers who find themselves looking up at six-footers.

“I know Cole wants to be his own self,” Dooley said, “but he ought to be flattered to be compared to a player with Wes Welker’s skill set.”

Beasley said he and Dooley have talked about Welker, although not extensively.

“He has (brought up Welker) once,” Beasley said. “He told me to get film of him on my iPad, and I did that. I have watched a lot of him and studied him before, but now I’m watching more, because I’m now working with a coach who worked with Wes. He knows what works and what doesn’t work for a player like me.”

Beasley has been one of the stars of the Cowboys’ early offseason. It’s true that the players (per NFL rules) are not wearing pads and hitting, but there have been times during the team’s OTAs and mini-camps when veteran cornerbacks like Brandon Carr have struggled to stay with Beasley, while several undrafted rookies have been thoroughly embarrassed while trying to stay with him.

Nonetheless, the second-year receiver knows his spot on the roster is far from guaranteed. Economics alone dictate that veterans Bryant and Miles Austin are guaranteed to make the roster, and third-round draft pick Terrance Williams is close to being a lock, too. The Cowboys carried either five or six receivers on their active roster last season, and Beasley and Dooley both said they don’t know how many the team will carry in 2013. Regardless of how many make the team, there are others in the mix, including Dwayne Harris (a major contributor on special teams who is getting more useful in the offense), 2012 draft pick Danny Coale and a slew of rookies and free agents.

“I think they’ll carry five, maybe six (receivers),” Beasley said. “It’s not that different (than in 2012). I expect it will be like that every year, unless you’re a Pro Bowler or something. I know I could go out and play better, but if I’m not used, I could get cut.”

Beasley said he is using this offseason and summer to increase the number of roles he can fill for the Cowboys. Already a precise route runner with a knack for finding seams in the defense, Beasley is trying to increase his value as an outside receiver, as well.

“I’m just trying to improve,” he said. “I’m more comfortable inside, but I’m working to get better outside, too. I want to get off the press against bigger, stronger, long-armed guys. In the slot, you can take your time more, because the routes are usually shorter, but on the outside, you’ve got to be out of your break in less time out there to get separation.”

If Beasley continues to improve as he has, his chances of making the team outright are good. If someone else steps up with a strong training camp to make an already-crowded contest for the last receiver spot even more contested, he might have one exceedingly valuable ally on his side: Romo.

One of the more talked-about storylines of the offseason has been that after Romo signed his long-term extension with the team, owner Jerry Jones announced that his quarterback would have an increased role in putting together the game plan for each game. At his first meeting with the media after signing his new deal, Romo downplayed the notion that he will somehow be dictating to Garrett and Bill Callahan (who will call plays this season) how the offense should be run. Maybe his humility about the role was sincere, or maybe it was for the benefit of the media and fans. If Romo really does have a larger say in what the Dallas offense does in 2012, Beasley said that only can help his chances to make the team and perhaps enjoy the larger role in the offense that he wants.
“There is already a lot of stuff in there that Tony wants in the offense,” Beasley said. “So it’s not really that we’ll have a lot of new stuff, but how much of what we already have will get run. I think we’ll have more three-wide receiver sets, which is good — it’s pretty much adding more stuff I can do.”

Carp

DCC 4Life
I thought he played well when given the opportunity...he and Romo seemed to have good chemistry. I hope we end up keeping 6 WRs so he can stick and the we can give Coale a chance as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I thought he played well when given the opportunity...he and Romo seemed to have good chemistry. I hope we end up keeping 6 WRs so he can stick and the we can give Coale a chance as well.
Dez, Austin, Williams, Harris, Beasley, Coale.

I could live with that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
~ makes Wes Welker comparison ~

GSM

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Dez, Austin, Williams, Harris, Beasley, Coale.

I could live with that.
I think that is the way to go. The first four are locks. Beasley showed he had something last year, but I think Coale might be better long term. Plus I'm not sure Beasley can ever contribute as anything more than the role he was in. Meaning... he's a slot receiver now, and he'll always be a slot receiver.

At the same time, you don't throw away productive guys in favor of guys who haven't proven anything with better measurables.

I like both players. They should both be kept, especially if the alternative is keeping a worthless 10th offensive lineman like Darrion Weems just to say you have a 10th. You can pick up a guy of his caliber every single day from a practice squad around the league, do not keep a guy like him over a guy like Beasley or Coale.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He is too tiny. That is all.
He is miniscule. I like his tenacity but I fully expect him to be shattered like a light bulb every time he catches the ball. Having said that, I still have a strong sentiment to want him on the team.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not married to Coale being the 6th WR...if Jared Green or Rogers beat him out, I'd be real happy with that. Not that we wasted a 5th rounder, but we are basing it on merit and not draft pick status.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Hopefully, keeping 6 wrs will keep us from carrying 3 qbs on the active roster.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think there is any chance we keep 3 QBs. Not with the 4 TEs we are sure to carry.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Williams signaled Beasley's death knell as a Cowboy. No way he makes the team short of an injury.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think one has to do with the other. If we keep 6 WRs I see no reason why Beasley would not stick. I'd go so far as to say he is pretty much a lock if we only keep 5.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bryant, Austin, Harris, Williams, and Coale. Don't see why the team goes to 6, especially since they plan to move to more 12 formations.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It'd be really easy to keep six. WGAS if you have 4 TEs, I doubt we carry a FB, so we'll have the spot available. Unless you are one of the people who thinks we need to carry 6 safeties.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It'd be really easy to keep six. WGAS if you have 4 TEs, I doubt we carry a FB, so we'll have the spot available. Unless you are one of the people who thinks we need to carry 6 safeties.
Supposing they keep just 5, do you favor Beasley over Coale?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think one has to do with the other. If we keep 6 WRs I see no reason why Beasley would not stick. I'd go so far as to say he is pretty much a lock if we only keep 5.
Time stamped by a brilliant mind.

I'll allow it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Supposing they keep just 5, do you favor Beasley over Coale?
I'd say yes at this point, with the right to change my mind on Coale. I can't really make an educated opinion on Coale though because he was pretty much hurt the entire year.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'd keep Beasley over Coale right now. Coale can take his spot at training camp though

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd keep Beasley over Coale right now. Coale can take his spot at training camp though
All depends on ST. Beasley is too tiny to use on coverage units. Coale is bigger, has the ST background from Beamer and could be an emergency punter.

Top Bottom