Archer: Cowboys will have to work around cap to add talent

junk

Not So New Member
I had to go look why this team is snug against the cap.

$13.5 million is still being eaten up by Romo, Cedric Thornton and Nolan Carroll.

Dez is at 16.5 million. Tyrone Crawford is $9 million. Good job signing him early guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

$13.5 million is still being eaten up by Romo, Cedric Thornton and Nolan Carroll.

Dez is at 16.5 million. Tyrone Crawford is $9 million. Good job signing him early guys.
The problem is I'm pretty sure we have used Crawford to restructure when we probably should have just been cutting him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Yeah, how much do we save by dumping Crawford?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cujo

DCC 4Life
29 year old, entering his 7th year James Hanna?

That's the one. He is capable of doing a lot of what Witten is doing for a fraction of the price. I wasn't saying he'd come in and be Ertz.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Only 1.8 mil. I think we used him for cap relief last offseason.
Well in theory, if Charlton passes Crawford at end, and a rookie or Tapper can replace Crawford's production as a backup, that 1.8 is still worth saving... especially cause the following year you really see the savings.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well in theory, if Charlton passes Crawford at end, and a rookie or Tapper can replace Crawford's production as a backup, that 1.8 is still worth saving... especially cause the following year you really see the savings.
Yeah ultimately it saves us 6 mil in cap by cutting him this offseason as opposed to waiting. Now some people won't understand that because they just look at cap savings in a single season. As we have seen though you can move cap money from one season to another fairly easily. But Crawfords base salary next season is 6 mil. Which means if we cut him, ultimately it saves us a total of 6 mil against the cap. And frankly I'd do it. He is our third best 3 technique and in my opinion is a run down only DE. But I doubt our coaches will view it that way. Instead they view him as a leader and they will continue to march him out there over Taco.

Top Bottom