User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC.com - Staff Writers Make An Early Attempt At A 7-Round Mock Draft

DC.com - Staff Writers Make An Early Attempt At A 7-Round Mock Draft

Staff Writers Make An Early Attempt At A 7-Round Mock Draft

Friday, March 30, 2018 4:17 PM CDT

By DallasCowboys.com Report

FRISCO, Texas – It’s beginning to feel like draft season.

After what feels like an eternity, the 2018 NFL Draft – which will be held at AT&T Stadium – is just over a month away. The NFL Combine is over, pro days have begun and the Cowboys will soon begin hosting their pre-draft visitors.

The real process of preparing for the draft is in full swing.

With that thought in mind, the DallasCowboys.com staff decided to take an early crack at the Cowboys’ 2018 draft class. They have 10 picks to make, which will give them plenty of opportunity to add to the roster.

For the purposes of this exercise, there won’t be any trades – though it’s totally plausible to think the Cowboys will move around in this year’s draft. For now, this is simply about finding 10 players that make sense for their needs.

RD (PK) DAVID NICK BRYAN ROB
    1 (19) LB Rashaan Evans
    Alabama Read
    DT Da’Ron Payne
    Alabama
    LB Leighton Vander Esch
    Boise State
    LB Leighton Vander Esch
    Boise State
    2 (18) WR Anthony Miller
    Memphis
    WR James Washington
    Oklahoma State
    WR Anthony Miller
    Memphis
    G Braden Smith
    Auburn
    3 (17) S Marcus Allen
    Penn State
    LB Malik Jefferson
    Texas
    RB Nyheim Hines
    NC State Read
    TE Ian Thomas
    Indiana
    4 (16) DT B.J. Hill
    NC State
    RB Nyheim Hines
    NC State
    DT Folorunso Fatukaski
    Connecticut
    RB Nyheim Hines
    NC State
    4 (37) TE Durham Smythe
    Notre Dame
    TE Ian Thomas
    Indiana
    S Kyzir White
    West Virginia
    WR Cedric Wilson
    Boise State
    5 (34) RB Darrel Williams
    LSU
    QB Luke Falk
    Washington State
    QB Brandon Silvers
    Troy
    S Jordan Whitehead
    Pittsburgh
    5 (36) DE Tyquan Lewis
    Ohio State
    S Trayvon Henderson
    Hawaii
    CB Holton Hill
    Texas
    DT Eddy Wilson
    Purdue
    6 (19) G Taylor Hearn
    Clemson
    C Tejan Koromo
    BYU
    LB Jack Cichy
    Wisconsin
    QB Riley Ferguson
    Memphis
    6 (34) QB Chase Litton
    Marshall
    DT P.J. Hall
    Sam Houston State
    T Timon Parris
    Stony Brook
    LB Tre’ Williams
    Auburn
    7 (18) T Nick Gates
    Nebraska
    DE Tyquan Lewis
    Ohio State
    C Tejan Koroma
    BYU
    T Christian DiLauro
    Illinois

David's 2-Cent Draft:

RD (PK) POS PLAYER SCHOOL
    1 (19) LB Rashaan Evans Alabama
    2 (18) WR Anthony Miller Memphis
    3 (17) S Marcus Allen Penn State
    4 (16) DT B.J. Hill NC State
    4 (37) TE Durham Smythe Notre Dame
    5 (34) RB Darrel Williams LSU
    5 (36) DE Tyquan Lewis Ohio State
    6 (19) G Taylor Hearn Clemson
    6 (34) QB Chase Litton Marshall
    7 (18) T Nick Gates Nebraska

David's Analysis:

I have a couple big thoughts here. First is that I think the Cowboys’ starting left guard is already on the roster – whether that’s Marcus Martin or someone else. That will limit their need to pick one highly in this draft. Second, I think they’re likely going to get wiped out of their top preferences at pick No. 19. If that happens, Evans is a pretty nice consolation prize – a big, physical linebacker who can provide fantastic depth as well as a potential third starter. I feel very confident the Cowboys will draft a wide receiver in the first three rounds, and Miller is an unheralded but polished talent who could step in and contribute right away. Allen gives the Cowboys another talented, young safety to team with the duo of Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier. Let them fight it out for the job next to Jeff Heath. B.J. Hill, Durham Smythe and Darrel Williams obviously aren’t going to start on this team, but they would provide some fantastic depth at key positions. With my other four picks, I’m taking shots in the dark at big school talents with interesting traits. I do think, somehow, some way, the Cowboys will draft a quarterback on Day 3 to work with Dak Prescott and Cooper Rush.

Nick's 2-Cent Draft:

1 (19) DT Da’Ron Payne Alabama
    2 (18) WR James Washington Oklahoma State
    3 (17) LB Malik Jefferson Texas
    4 (16) RB Nyheim Hines NC State
    4 (37) TE Ian Thomas Indiana
    5 (34) QB Luke Falk Washington State
    5 (36) S Trayvon Henderson Hawaii
    6 (19) C Tejan Koromo BYU
    6 (34) DT P.J. Hall Sam Houston State
    7 (18) DE Tyquan Lewis Ohio State

Nick's Analysis:

While I understand that Payne’s two best games of his career occurred in the two playoff games back in January, that doesn’t really scare me away. He’s a young player that had to fight for time and he shined the brightest on the biggest stage. His athletic ability for that position can make a difference. Washington can stretch the defense and that’s something this team has needed for a while. Jefferson might not last that long but the Cowboys could use a dynamic linebacker who can be physical. My favorite player on this list is Hines, who is a track guy who plays running back. They need more game-changers on offense and Thomas could also be in that category. The other picks are just really filling out holes at other positions. I’ll be shocked if this team doesn’t make a trade or three during the weekend.

Bryan's 2-Cent Draft:

1 (19) LB Leighton Vander Esch Boise State
    2 (18) WR Anthony Miller Memphis
    3 (17) RB Nyheim Hines NC State
    4 (16) DT Folorunso Fatukaski Connecticut
    4 (37) S Kyzir White West Virginia
    5 (34) QB Brandon Silvers Troy
    5 (36) CB Holton Hill Texas
    6 (19) LB Jack Cichy Wisconsin
    6 (34 T Timon Parris Stony Brook
    7 (18) C Tejan Koroma BYU

Bryan's Analysis:

You never know which direction the draft will go until it actually starts. Where the Cowboys currently sit, they’re truly at the mercy of the board. With 10 selections in this draft, there will be a great opportunity to move around and grab some key players, so hopefully they will take advantage of that. For the Mock’s sake, I will make all 10 selections. Things are lining up for them to draft Leighton Vander Esch in the first. They’re clearly doing their due diligence on him. Film, interviews and workouts - - it’s all staring you in the face. Anthony Miller is capable of making plays at all levels and would be a nice fit. Nyheim Hines would be a different type of back to what you have with Ezekiel Elliott and Rod Smith. Folorunso Fatukaski is an underrated defensive tackle that’s outstanding at the point of attack. Kyzir White’s reactions and tackling ability make him a candidate for free safety. Brandon Silvers knows how to throw receivers open with his arm talent. Holton Hill has had his share of off the field problems but the talent is too good to pass at this point. If he didn’t have a medical history, Jack Cichy would be considered much higher. Film is outstanding. Timon Parris is a developmental project but I am betting on his traits for later upside. I really do like Tejan Koroma’s toughness and the way he plays with leverage, but his lack of height (6-0) could be an issue.

Rob's 2-Cent Draft:

1 (19) LB Leighton Vander Esch Boise State
    2 (18) G Braden Smith Auburn
    3 (17) TE Ian Thomas Indiana
    4 (16) RB Nyheim Hines NC State
    4 (37) WR Cedric Wilson Boise State
    5 (34) S Jordan Whitehead Pittsburgh
    5 (36) DT Eddy Wilson Purdue
    6 (19) QB Riley Ferguson Memphis
    6 (34) LB Tre’ Williams Auburn
    7 (18) T Christian DiLauro Illinois

Rob's Analysis:

The Cowboys still need linebacker depth, even with the Joe Thomas signing and Jaylon Smith’s continued progress. Vander Esch doesn’t have a ton of time on task as a starter, but he’s a big-time athlete who could help at Anthony Hitchens’ vacated MIKE linebacker spot. The Cowboys covered themselves at guard by signing Marcus Martin and re-signing Joe Looney, and they could always move La’el Collins back inside. But for a potential long-term solution, Smith is one of the better guard prospects in the draft. Hines and Wilson would add more options for Dak Prescott in the passing game, Whitehead is a tough-hitting safety who can cover. Jerry Jones said at the Combine that the Cowboys would prefer to find another young backup quarterback over bringing in a veteran, and although they like Cooper Rush as Prescott’s primary reserve, maybe they take a flier in later rounds on someone like Ferguson, who has a big arm and put up big numbers at Memphis.

Everybody has kind of forgotten about Anthony Miller because he wasn't able to participate at the Senior Bowl/Combine due to an injury but I still say that he's one of my top choices in the 2nd round. Dude is tough as nails, really good route runner and is excellent in contested situations. He doesn't have ideal long speed/explosiveness but he's going to be a very good number 2 in the league for a long time.

PJ Hall is an under the radar name I like, really quick and explosive, fits the mold of what Marinelli looks for in a developmental 3-T, I think he was a DE up until this year when he went up from about 275 to 285 or so. I know he played at Bumfuck St. but his stats are ridiculous, something like 80+ TFL, 40+ sacks and 14 blocked kicks. He also ran in the 4.7's at his Pro Day I believe.

He's a small school guy but it's not like he played in the NAIA or some shit, Sam Houston St. is pretty much on par with teams like North Dakota St., South Dakota St. (Goedert), Northern Iowa (David Johnson), and so forth.

Put all that together and I'm definitely rolling the dice on a guy like that with a late pick.

I would be livid over any of these mocks. All absolutely terrible.

The only decent one starts with Payne who is terrible in every way possible. Other than him though it's solid.

I trade 1 and 3 for Derwin James all day in any of these mocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    I trade 1 and 3 for Derwin James all day in any of these mocks.
    Vander Esch and Thomas is the only one I might not. But I hate these mocks. They are garbage.

I've come a long way on Vander Esch. Once upon a time I really didn't like him at all. But then I started watching his games. Totally changed my opinion of him.

Either Rob thinks the Cowboys are fine at receiver (laughable) or he has nothing but contempt for the receivers in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I would be livid over any of these mocks. All absolutely terrible.

The only decent one starts with Payne who is terrible in every way possible. Other than him though it's solid.

Yeah, I'd be cool with that one if we could substitute Hernandez or Vea (yeah, I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
    Yeah, I'd be cool with that one if we could substitute Hernandez or Vea (yeah, I know).
    Yep Hernandez would fix that perfectly. I don't think Vea makes it to us but if he did that would be a rock star draft. Of course I'm not sure some of the guys he has us taking will actually fall to those spots.

No one likes the big rich kid?

Guy is 6'4 almost 260 and from what I've read, still filling out his frame.

Ran a 4.65 with ridiculous agility drill numbers.

Read that he was like a missile to the football last year as well.

And he's white for you conservatives and will probably never take a knee during your precious anthem.

Just looked up BJ Hill's stats, very impressive. Better than Vea and much better than Payne. Looks like the guy was very productive.