Fisher: Is Miles Austin getting too 'old' for Cowboys?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is Miles Austin getting too 'old' for Cowboys?

MIKE FISHER |

Published: Monday, July 29, 2013, 10:54am
OXNARD, Calif. -- Is Miles Austin, on those two bad hamstrings, also on his last two legs?

"Miles (Austin) is getting old and they want to bring in young guys," teammate Dwayne Harris said this week at Dallas Cowboys training camp. "Dez (Bryant) is still young, T-Will (rookie Terrence Williams) is young, I'm young, and Miles, we don't know how long he's going to be here or how long he's going to last."

The thoughtful Harris doesn’t mean for those comments to come across as harsh as they certainly do. But even as Austin was among the standouts in Sunday's Blue-White Scrimmage in Oxnard, it's true: pro football teams are in the "upgrade business."

So is the former Pro Bowler in danger?

First to Austin's work Sunday. He caught a TD pass in 7-on-7 drills, shining while emerging superstar Bryant nursed a sore hip. Williams had his moments in 2-minute drill time, and newcomer Eric Rogers continued to show big-play ability as a camp surprise.

But none of them were running laps around the "old" Austin, who, by the way, is only 29. He may be on his last contract – as detailed below – but that doesn’t mean he’s on his last legs.

"It's fun getting out here with the kids and showing them how it's done," Austin told me after the scrimmage, a wide smile tempering his sarcasm.

Really, the circumstance requires some insight into the Cowboys' real plans regarding its "elder" in the wide-receivers room and the "kids."

Starting in 2014, Austin's salaries for the final three years on his contract are $5.5 million, $6.9 million and $11.4 million. What Harris is alluding to is the salary-cap appeal of replacing Austin with Williams, a third-round pick who is playing under a four-year, $2.7 million rookie deal.

Now there are cap-hit concerns with Austin. His cap hit jumps from $3.6 million this year to $8.2 million next year ... But that can be adjusted, too, especially if Austin keeps those hamstrings healthy.

"Miles wasn’t himself last year," coach Jason Garrett said of Austin, a two-time Pro Bowler who slipped last season to 66 catches for 943 yards and six TDs. "It’s good to see him with spring in his step."

Williams' time is coming. But it's not coming soon simply because of the money being paid Austin in the next couple years. Strategically, the cowboys need Williams to be a standout replacement of Austin before 2016, when the veteran’s base salary doubles from $6.8 to $11.3 million. The way these deals work, Austin will likely never see that $11.3 ... But he can see a couple more productive years here if his hamstrings allow it.

"You got to bring in young guys," Harris said. "That's what this league is about."

It’s true. But that doesn’t mean you need to get rid of the "old" guys.
--------------

Austin is one of those players that doesn't age very well.

He's not some cagey vet, which he should be by this point in his career.

That's how guys like Santana Moss have long and productive careers.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Austin thrived on his athleticism. When his body goes he'll be done.

That's ok. I think he can last another 2 seasons until it makes sense to cut him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, Austin thrived on his athleticism. When his body goes he'll be done.

That's ok. I think he can last another 2 seasons until it makes sense to cut him.
I think next year he will be a very overpaid backup.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think next year he will be a very overpaid backup.
Maybe. But I think if he was relegated to slot WR only he'd still be deadly there. I don't think he's quite at the end. We started drafting replacements for him at just the right time with Harris and now Williams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Austin's contract will catch up with him before his age does.

junk

Not So New Member
Austin's contract is a real issue.

Next year is going to be interesting from a cap standpoint. I'm not real sure on the accuracy of this website, but it seems accurate from what I've seen.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cowboys&Year=2014

The team is probably going to go into the offseason anywhere from 15-20 million over the cap (depending upon where it ends up). I'm sure they will roll some over and probably extend Lee this year, but they are still going to be snug against the cap.

Cutting Miles only saves you $400k in cap room unless you designate him a June 1st cut (then it jumps up to ~$4 million, but gives you about the same amount in dead money)

Meanwhile, the cap numbers for Romo ($21.7 million), Ware (~$16 million) and Carr (~$12 million) will probably require restructures which will further push money into future years.

The only guys you can flat out cut in 2014 with appreciable salaries that save cap money are Ware ($7.4), Ratliff ($1.3), Livings ($2 million), Bernadeau ($1.4) and Parnell ($1.5)

Not to mention that Spencer, Lee and Hatcher are free agents. Dez is up in 2015. In 2015, the team is at about $136 million.

I completely understand this push by the Jones to play young guys RIGHTNOW. It is cap driven. The team has to have some of these young, cheap guys step up because they can't afford to bring anyone new in and have kind of painted themselves in a corner with some of these high dollar contracts they have to restructure year to year to get back under the cap.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Don't worry. We are fine on the cap, guyz.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The amount of money that Brandon Carr is getting is just absurd. He is right up there with Witten and Ware and he is no where near that caliber of player. That's a pretty bad signing in retrospect even if you don't hate CBs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Looking at that list, though, Livings, Bernadeau, Costa, and maybe even Ratliff are prime candidates to get the axe next year. Unless Ratliff bounces back, in which case his savings of 1.3m wouldn't justify cutting him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
2015 is the likely year where a purge will be made. We won't save too much by cutting guys before next season but according to that site we can save alot going into 2015 by cutting guys like Austin, Scandrick, Free, Ratliff, Livings and Bernadeau. Presumably we already have replacements on the roster for Austin and Scandrick and it shouldn't be particularly hard to replace guys like Free, Livings and Bernadeau, and we may already have one of those replacements on the roster in Leary.

Guys like Bryant, Smith, Carter and Murray will all be free agents in the spring of 2015 and since that is the future core of this team I'm guessing we see alot of these older, expensive guys shed between the end of the 2014 season and the beginning of 2015 free agency. We don't really have many important guys to re-sign after this season outside of Lee, it'll suck to lose Spencer but he's going to be 30 by the start of next season and we got him for the majority of his prime so it's whatever.

Of course it's possible we get a head start on it by cutting guys like Ratliff, Free, etc. after this season so we can avoid the dead money.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Free only has 1 more year on his deal after this one I think.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea I suspected that that site wasn't 100% because I knew Free couldn't have a 8 million base in 2015 after the restructure but I was just going based off their numbers. Anyway, I still think the general point remains that most of these guys will be purged no later than February/March of 2015 so that we can re-sign guys like Smith, Bryant and Carter.

I'm not 100% sure we're going to re-sign Murray unless he proves he can stay healthy but he'd be another decent sized extension if we do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2015 is the likely year where a purge will be made. We won't save too much by cutting guys before next season but according to that site we can save alot going into 2015 by cutting guys like Austin, Scandrick, Free, Ratliff, Livings and Bernadeau. Presumably we already have replacements on the roster for Austin and Scandrick and it shouldn't be particularly hard to replace guys like Free, Livings and Bernadeau, and we may already have one of those replacements on the roster in Leary.

Guys like Bryant, Smith, Carter and Murray will all be free agents in the spring of 2015 and since that is the future core of this team I'm guessing we see alot of these older, expensive guys shed between the end of the 2014 season and the beginning of 2015 free agency. We don't really have many important guys to re-sign after this season outside of Lee, it'll suck to lose Spencer but he's going to be 30 by the start of next season and we got him for the majority of his prime so it's whatever.

Of course it's possible we get a head start on it by cutting guys like Ratliff, Free, etc. after this season so we can avoid the dead money.
People also tend to forget that the 10 mil in cap room we have will get pushed over to next year if we don't use it. On top of that dead money for some of the players we cut comes off the books every year. Not saying we are in a great cap situation but lets face it, lots of NFL teams this offseason had a ton of cap room and they didn't really use it. Hell Dallas is sitting with 10 mil right now and we were supposedly in cap hell.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
People also tend to forget that the 10 mil in cap room we have will get pushed over to next year if we don't use it. On top of that dead money for some of the players we cut comes off the books every year. Not saying we are in a great cap situation but lets face it, lots of NFL teams this offseason had a ton of cap room and they didn't really use it. Hell Dallas is sitting with 10 mil right now and we were supposedly in cap hell.
I don't think cap hell is the right word but we weren't particularly able to do much in the way of personnel this offseason. For an 8-8 team not to have the money to go out and get better, kinda says a lot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We'll be able to keep our own players but it's not like we can go out and make splash signings, which aren't really totally necessary if you can make value signings like Justin Durant. Of course I'd love to go out and give Melton a big contract next year, and I'm sure we could finagle some way to do it by pushing money into future years, but it's just not very realistic.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
"Miles wasn’t himself last year," coach Jason Garrett said of Austin, a two-time Pro Bowler who slipped last season to 66 catches for 943 yards and six TDs. "It’s good to see him with spring in his step."
This is the kind of bullshit statement IMO coaches need to avoid. Parcells' saying "you are what you are" resonates so strongly because it applies to so many things. Austin is what he is, an explosive, hard-working receiver who keeps getting hurt. He should be in his physical prime, but his body is not acting that way.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The amount of money that Brandon Carr is getting is just absurd. He is right up there with Witten and Ware and he is no where near that caliber of player. That's a pretty bad signing in retrospect even if you don't hate CBs.
Carr had a fine season last year, and basically won the team two games against tough opponents. If the front can finally stop the run (doubtful), they can make teams more one-dimensional and help the DB's get the turnovers this team needs.

If we get any improvement up front, Carr is the kind of player who can take advantage. But like WR's who need QB's who can get them the football, CB's need the front to stop balanced attacks and force offenses to throw more than they want to.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Carr had a fine season last year
Ware and Witten are Hall of Fame talents, Carr is getting paid at that level. He is not one.

I know that's the price of doing business in FA, but thats why Carl Nicks should have been the signing. That guy is a generational type player.

Top Bottom