JJT: DeMarcus Lawrence's return energizes Cowboys' pass rush

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarcus Lawrence's return energizes Cowboys' pass rush
10:20 PM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- DeMarcus Lawrence played only 17 snaps in the Dallas Cowboys' Week 5 victory over against the Cincinnati Bengals, his first game after serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Fifteen defensive players played more. None had Lawrence’s impact.

An inept pass rush that totaled six sacks in the season's first four games collected four against the Bengals.

“I could’ve played more,” he said, “but there was no need with a 28-0 lead.”

Lawrence, the 34th player taken in the 2014 draft, is the Cowboys’ best pass-rusher. He's the only defensive lineman on the Cowboys who can consistently pressure the quarterback.

Lawrence’s return and a 28-0 lead over the Bengals made rushing the passer easy. The Green Bay Packers, whom the Cowboys visit Sunday, pose a much more formidable task.

Aaron Rodgers is usually among the game's toughest quarterbacks to sack because he's mobile and gets rid of the ball quickly.

In the 2014 playoffs, the Cowboys sacked a gimpy Rodgers, hobbled by a calf strain, once in 35 attempts as the Packers won 26-21.

“You can’t just let him run around,” Lawrence said. “We’ve got to contain him, keep him in the pocket and make sure we hit him.

“Any quarterback, you hit them, they’re going to freeze up. So we’ve got to put the pressure on from the start to end.”

Lawrence had one sack in his first 15 NFL games; he had seven in the final nine games of last season.

He also finished 2015 with 9.5 tackles for loss, making him the most disruptive player on the Cowboys' defense.

The difference?

"I had Greg Hardy last year," Lawrence said, laughing. "They paid attention to him, not me. I'll get the attention this year but I'm ready."

He's not a pure speed rusher like DeMarcus Ware, who could dip his shoulder, giving the tackle nothing to block, while going full speed around the tackle.

Lawrence uses three or moves to set up the tackle, then attacks him with the one that's most efficient as the game goes on.

"I try to get in the tackle's head," Lawrence said. "Once you do that, it's over.

"Then he asks the guard for help on the inside move and you set him up to go outside. It's easy once you get in their head."

Lawrence is the only naturally gifted pass-rusher on the team, so defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli uses a variety of stunts to help the pass rush.

He calls it the 4 = 1 system.

“The one thing I like is the energy they bring every day,” Marinelli said of his defensive linemen. “They bring great energy, great desire to get better. Their work habits are off the charts.

“If they keep that going, we’ve got a chance to improve a little bit every week. Just want to keep gradually improving.”

Despite missing the first four games, Lawrence said his timing on the stunts was good against Cincinnati.

"We try to work them at game speed during practice," he said, "and then it's just about doing it in the game."

The Cowboys don't have questions about Lawrence's talent, productivity or work ethic.

They do have trust issues.

When a player gets suspended for four games, it means he has flunked numerous drug tests.

Another failed test and Lawrence will get a 10-game suspension. Lawrence has apologized and says he has learned from his mistakes.

The Cowboys hope that’s true. They’re depending on him. They need him to rush the passer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence definitely helps the pass rush. He isn't going to change us from one of the worst pass rushing teams in the NFL into one of the best but he certainly helps. And if we had a real RE to compliment him I think we would be on our way to a great pass rush.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lawrence definitely helps the pass rush. He isn't going to change us from one of the worst pass rushing teams in the NFL into one of the best but he certainly helps. And if we had a real RE to compliment him I think we would be on our way to a great pass rush.
We still lack that force in the middle that demands a double team vs the pass, stifles the run, and consistently clears lanes for LB's.

All pressure starts there, from no place to step up and pass to being confounded in the running game forcing more passes.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
At least we aren't starting Selvie, Mincey and Hayden like in 2014. Lawrence is a very solid player-- not all pro by any stretch. While we don't have an elite pass rusher-- we have an average DL that is deep with guys that have good motors and are selfless.

Hopefully-- the sum is greater than the parts and we can wear teams down with fresh legs and relentless effort.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All pressure starts there, from no place to step up and pass to being confounded in the running game forcing more passes.
McClain, Thornton and Collins have made for a pretty good rotation inside at DT. They may not have that elite start among them but they have been doing a nice job of pressuring the QB lately. Throw in some Tyron Crawford and we will get some pressure on the interior.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Remember when people were saying when Lawrence returned it wasn't gonna change a damn thing?

Good times.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
We still lack that force in the middle that demands a double team vs the pass, stifles the run, and consistently clears lanes for LB's.
As Norm Hitzges likes to remind us, we've had one of the smaller d-lines in the league for years. Would it kill us to add some serious beef? The Packers have Daniels (who we passed over in favor of Wilber :picard), Guion, Clark, and 330-pounder Mike Pennell, who returns from suspension this weekend. Let's follow their example next off-season.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
As Norm Hitzges likes to remind us, we've had one of the smaller d-lines in the league for years. Would it kill us to add some serious beef? The Packers have Daniels (who we passed over in favor of Wilber :picard), Guion, Clark, and 330-pounder Mike Pennell, who returns from suspension this weekend. Let's follow their example next off-season.
The Packers usually only have 1 or 2 pure DL on the field at a time, their defense is reliant on speed/confusion and moving their LB's around and bringing them from different angles. They aren't just throwing three 2-gapping 320 lb DL out there and stuffing the run, alot of their success comes from movement of their LB's and DB's creating confusion.

I agree that I would like some more size on the interior but we just have to face the fact that that isn't Marinelli's scheme and it never will be as long as he is here. You see similar defenses in Minnesota, Seattle, Cicinnati and such with more size on the interior but it just isn't going to happen with Marinelli. I think once he's gone in a few years you'll see a little more size at DT.

Jiggyfly

Banned

So does most of the NFL, There are about 5 guys that check all of those boxes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As Norm Hitzges likes to remind us, we've had one of the smaller d-lines in the league for years. Would it kill us to add some serious beef?
We are getting bigger. Maliek Collins 311 pounds, Thornton 309 pounds and McClain 302 are sort of the 3 main guys rotating at DT right now. Granted none of them is a 340 pound tub of lard but finding 320+ pound DT's who are capable of actually pushing the pocket are difficult to find. Most of those guys are just fat NT types who hold their ground. Our line is really only small when we start putting the 285 pound Crawfords and Irvings at DT. Which is more of just a passing down thing for us.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Remember when people were saying when Lawrence returned it wasn't gonna change a damn thing?

Good times.
:lol

Yeah, he's changed a lot, especially when you consider the Bengals were down early and our DL didn't have to play the run.

Check back after the Packers game, then we will see how much has REALLY changed.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Yeah, he's changed a lot, especially when you consider the Bengals were down early and our DL didn't have to play the run.

Check back after the Packers game, then we will see how much has REALLY changed.

Just like always...

Wait, wait, wait. That one didn't count. Wait until the XXXXXX. Then we'll REALLY see.

~yawn~ Boring.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Just like always...

Wait, wait, wait. That one didn't count. Wait until the XXXXXX. Then we'll REALLY see.

~yawn~ Boring.
Yes, by all means lets call Lawrence a true difference maker after 1 whole game where he played 28 snaps against a team that was down early. :lol

Holy shit, I had to scroll up the page and make sure I hadn't accidentally ended up at The Zone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, by all means lets call Lawrence a true difference maker after 1 whole game where he played 28 snaps against a team that was down early. :lol

Holy shit, I had to scroll up the page and make sure I hadn't accidentally ended up at The Zone.
We led the Bears big, how did that work for pressure?

BipolarFuk

Demoted
We are getting bigger. Maliek Collins 311 pounds, Thornton 309 pounds and McClain 302 are sort of the 3 main guys rotating at DT right now. Granted none of them is a 340 pound tub of lard but finding 320+ pound DT's who are capable of actually pushing the pocket are difficult to find. Most of those guys are just fat NT types who hold their ground. Our line is really only small when we start putting the 285 pound Crawfords and Irvings at DT. Which is more of just a passing down thing for us.
I don't think the one tech needs to even push the pocket. Leave that to the 3. I'd rather have a big fat ass in there that does nothing but destroy the run.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the one tech needs to even push the pocket. Leave that to the 3. I'd rather have a big fat ass in there that does nothing but destroy the run.
Well I'd certainly prefer that to Hayden and what he did. But my preference is to have 2 guys at DT in that 310 pound range that can rush the passer and stop the run. Allows you far more freedom to rush the passer.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Oooh. A zone barb.

Vicious.

Well, there's no coming back from that one. I guess you're right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom