TWill slips and says Garrett has been calling plays

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Coaching turnover? Cowboys players trust staff, feel team is close to contending
BY DREW DAVISON JANUARY 01, 2018 06:59 PM

FRISCO
Count wide receiver Terrance Williams among the players who feel the Dallas Cowboys aren’t far off from contending again for a championship.

Williams echoed the sentiments of Jason Witten, Sean Lee and Ezekiel Elliott after Sunday’s 6-0 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles that ended a disappointing 2017 season.

And Williams sees no reason for the organization to make drastic changes such as firing offensive coordinator Scott Linehan or coach Jason Garrett.

“We just didn’t get it done. It had nothing to do with Scott. It had nothing to do with coach Garrett,” Williams said on Monday as players cleaned out their lockers. “I’ve been in this system for five years and it did me well. We have guys who can stand here and say, ‘We didn’t get the job done.’ Plain and simple as that. We just didn’t get it done.

“Scott called great plays. Coach Garrett called great plays. They put us in situations to make plays. We didn’t get the job done. So now we have to sit at home and watch and get better for next year.”

Williams and quarterback Dak Prescott have been among the most vocal in support of Linehan in recent days, although his job status remains in question. The players, of course, don’t make that decision.

Garrett is safe, as owner Jerry Jones has vouched to stay with him going into 2018. But Linehan has received plenty of criticism for an offensive unit that took a step back this season.

rest of article- http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article192498814.html
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just happened to be bored and clicked to see how bad a fluff piece this was and there TWill is saying Garrett is calling plays

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Color me shocked, I figured he still had his hand in the mix for a long time. This play calling reeked of the 90's era when Garrett learned from Zampese, who was a disciple of the Air Coryell offense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seems pretty obvious to me that Garrett is still heavily involved with the structure of the offense whether he's literally calling plays or not. You can just feel the same type of lack of situational awareness and creativity that has existed since well before Linehan got here.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There is no doubt that Garrett is effecting playcalling. I mean, he builds the gameplan, and Linehan's scheme has Garrett's stank all over it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I've only been saying this to Schmitty for 3 seasons.

You have to be blind or braindead to not see Garrett's stank on this offense. It's the same damn system and the same stupid trends and tendencies from 2008-2013.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You have to be blind or braindead to not see Garrett's stank on this offense. It's the same damn system and the same stupid trends and tendencies from 2008-2013.
The system is actually a Norv Turner playbook with modifications for the running game. I can’t recall Turner using two tight ends for the running game nor did his have a TE in the back field. That’ how my memory serves me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The system is actually a Norv Turner playbook with modifications for the running game. I can’t recall Turner using two tight ends for the running game nor did his have a TE in the back field. That’ how my memory serves me.
In theory, yes, it is based on the Don Coryell system that puts a heavy emphasis in throwing the ball in that 18-25 yard range much like Norv Turner's offense does.

The HUGE difference is, however, that Turner understands how important it is to run the ball and stick with it, and he has a bright enough mind to evolve and add new wrinkles as time moves on.

Jason Garrett basically is doing the exact same thing and calling the exact same plays that he was in 2007 when he first came on as coordinator.

He wouldn't know how to spell "adjustment" if you spotted him every letter sans the "t".

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Whoever the retard is that goes to empty set in second and medium......just fire him, and I'll be happy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Whoever the retard is that goes to empty set in second and medium......just fire him, and I'll be happy.
:lol

Every solid gain on 1st down from the run is immediately followed by an empty set shotgun pass on 2nd.

It's like a rule or something in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Every solid gain on 1st down from the run is immediately followed by an empty set shotgun pass on 2nd.

It's like a rule or something in Dallas.
Yeah, it's insane to me that anyone could even think that makes sense. The rest of the NFL must literally laugh at the Cowboys for that shit.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, it's insane to me that anyone could even think that makes sense. The rest of the NFL must literally laugh at the Cowboys for that shit.
I've said hundreds of times on here before, so I won't rehash the entire argument again, but not only is this so predictable, but the worst part of it all is taking a RB off the field and taking what should be a very advantageous situation for us and throwing that advantage in the gutter.

Coaches plan all week in hopes of getting a team on their heels by putting them in a situation where they have to account for multiple variables. And here we are in 2nd and 4 averaging 4.5 YPC -- a perfect situation to call a run or pass and keep the defense guessing.

And what do we do? We shoot ourselves in the foot while making the opposition's life easier for no damn good reason at all by basically telling them that we are passing ahead of time.

It makes absolutely no sense at all that we do this, especially as often as we do.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
W
In theory, yes, it is based on the Don Coryell system that puts a heavy emphasis in throwing the ball in that 18-25 yard range much like Norv Turner's offense does.

The HUGE difference is, however, that Turner understands how important it is to run the ball and stick with it, and he has a bright enough mind to evolve and add new wrinkles as time moves on.

Jason Garrett basically is doing the exact same thing and calling the exact same plays that he was in 2007 when he first came on as coordinator.

He wouldn't know how to spell "adjustment" if you spotted him every letter sans the "t".
Using the running game is a discretionary thing coach by coach. Garrett/Linehan are just heavy on the passing calls. The system and playbook is still Turners. You could call it a misused Turner system.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've said hundreds of times on here before, so I won't rehash the entire argument again, but not only is this so predictable, but the worst part of it all is taking a RB off the field and taking what should be a very advantageous situation for us and throwing that advantage in the gutter.

Coaches plan all week in hopes of getting a team on their heels by putting them in a situation where they have to account for multiple variables. And here we are in 2nd and 4 averaging 4.5 YPC -- a perfect situation to call a run or pass and keep the defense guessing.

And what do we do? We shoot ourselves in the foot while making the opposition's life easier for no damn good reason at all by basically telling them that we are passing ahead of time.

It makes absolutely no sense at all that we do this, especially as often as we do.
Zeke is literally the most dangerous weapon we have on offense. Why we would take him out of the game plan on second down is silly to me. Just as silly as having Witten run a 7 yard route on 3rd and 15.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
rest of article- http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article192498814.html
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just happened to be bored and clicked to see how bad a fluff piece this was and there TWill is saying Garrett is calling plays
Interesting... But I guess not surprising. Garrett never wanted to give up playcalling. Hardly shocking that Garrett would still want to inject his shitty ideas into the mix, just like he did with Callahan. At least Callahan called him a bitch. I guess Linehan can't really do that to his friend who gave him the job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

But...but...It is prolific. Or something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

So it was Garrett who transitioned to the heavier running attack then? Just checking to see if you're still trying to have it both ways.

Top Bottom