2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why are you fine with 3 DE's and not 3 DT's?
Because their jobs are so much different. A 1 technique does not make a great 3 technique and a 3 technique does not make a great 1 technique. They aren't interchangeable the way that DE's are. So essentially you're making a guy play something he isn't good at just to justify getting him snaps.

LE and RE have very similar responsibilities and are more interchangeable as a result.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Because their jobs are so much different. A 1 technique does not make a great 3 technique and a 3 technique does not make a great 1 technique. They aren't interchangeable the way that DE's are. So essentially you're making a guy play something he isn't good at just to justify getting him snaps.

LE and RE have very similar responsibilities and are more interchangeable as a result.
Sure, but what I'm saying is that adding another top interior rusher is enough of a priority that I'd be willing to spend that 19th pick on a guy with Hurst's ability even if he is only playing about half of the snaps as a rookie. If our rotation at DT is Collins (who can and has played 1-T also), Irving (who will inevitably also take some snaps at DE, especially once Crawford is cut), Hurst, and a big plugger/1-T type who we find off the scrap heap because that's how we operate, then I'm perfectly fine with it.

The fact that the team seems to be iffy on Irving only makes it more sensible.

You get way too caught up in "starters" and positions of need. I've argued with you for the last 2 offseasons about taking an LB in the 1st where you thought it was totally unnecessary, and where do we find ourselves now?

Hoping someone like Roquan Smith falls to us.

Just because a starting spot seems shored up today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow, and building a strong, deep rotation on the DL should always be a priority. I'm not sitting here talking about drafting a 2nd RB or 4th CB or backup C in the 1st, every team can use pass-rushers and building that rotation is of utmost importance.

Just because in your mind our starters are Collins and Irving doesn't mean Hurst couldn't upgrade the pass-rush in nickel/dime right away, or significantly strengthen our pass-rush depth to where we aren't so reliant on just Irving/Lawrence, and then he could easily become a starter in Year 2 or 3.

If he's the BPA that's more than enough of a justification for taking him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, but what I'm saying is that adding another top interior rusher is enough of a priority that I'd be willing to spend that 19th pick on a guy with Hurst's ability even if he is only playing about half of the snaps as a rookie. If our rotation at DT is Collins (who can and has played 1-T also), Irving (who will inevitably also take some snaps at DE, especially once Crawford is cut), Hurst, and a big plugger/1-T type who we find off the scrap heap because that's how we operate, then I'm perfectly fine with it.

The fact that the team seems to be iffy on Irving only makes it more sensible.

You get way too caught up in "starters" and positions of need. I've argued with you for the last 2 offseasons about taking an LB in the 1st where you thought it was totally unnecessary, and where do we find ourselves now?

Hoping someone like Roquan Smith falls to us.

Just because a starting spot seems shored up today doesn't mean it will be tomorrow, and building a strong, deep rotation on the DL should always be a priority. I'm not sitting here talking about drafting a 2nd RB or 4th CB or backup C in the 1st, every team can use pass-rushers and building that rotation is of utmost importance.

Just because in your mind our starters are Collins and Irving doesn't mean Hurst couldn't upgrade the pass-rush in nickel/dime right away, or significantly strengthen our pass-rush depth to where we aren't so reliant on just Irving/Lawrence, and then he could easily become a starter in Year 2 or 3.

If he's the BPA that's more than enough of a justification for taking him.
I'm not crossing my fingers that Roquan Smith falls to us. I think we are actually good at LBer if we simply resign Hitchens. And no, none of the LBers in last years draft that were available to us would have made our season end any differently in 2017. But with that being said I'd love Roquan Smith because I think he brings special athletic traits to the defense and I'd take him in a heart beat at 19 if he is there.

So maybe my bigger problem with Hurst is that I don't think he brings special traits. I think he is substandard compared to what we already have and he doesn't get me excited enough to ignore need at 19. If you continually draft guys that fit positions of strength, you'll never improve. You'll just continually have great 3 techniques and a shitty defense. At some point you have to say, it would be nice to have another good 3 technique but I'd rather have a great NT next to him or an elite edge rusher outside to pair with him. It's why BPA alone isn't a justification for me. No more than you'd consider a RB at 19 who isn't as good as Elliott but maybe is the BPA at the time.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Since it seems to be a foregone conclusion that we're not going after Vea or Payne, I've read that there are some true run stuffing beasts in FA. We could grab one of them without spending a fortune and move on.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
What do you guys think about the buzz going around that we could take UTEP guard Will Hernandez at #19?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What do you guys think about the buzz going around that we could take UTEP guard Will Hernandez at #19?
Seems like overkill but I guess BPA if you believe in following that strictly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems like overkill but I guess BPA if you believe in following that strictly.
I really like the player but I can't see him being BPA at 19. Plus like you mentioned, we have the most expensive offensive line in football already. Plugging another first rounder into it seems awfully extreme.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I really like the player but I can't see him being BPA at 19. Plus like you mentioned, we have the most expensive offensive line in football already. Plugging another first rounder into it seems awfully extreme.
What was he considered before the senior bowl? He had a good week and you would have to think that would move him up the boards.

Even if he was considered BPA at 19 there would have to be some players there that would be close enough to fit a better need. That is why I said follow strictly to the BPA theory.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was he considered before the senior bowl? He had a good week and you would have to think that would move him up the boards.

Even if he was considered BPA at 19 there would have to be some players there that would be close enough to fit a better need. That is why I said follow strictly to the BPA theory.
I'm not sure what he was considered before the Senior Bowl. After it though I'd say he is a solid early second or late first. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the first. But I don't think anyone would put him in the top 19 picks of the draft either. If he somehow made it to our second round pick though I wouldn't hesitate to make him the starting LG.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is a pure guard.

If I am "reaching" for a guard at #19, I take Isaiah Wynn. He can play tackle. That is what we need. Another Collins who is talented enough to do either.

What we really need to do is quite being stubborn and rely on Zack Martin to be an emergency tackle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is a pure guard.

If I am "reaching" for a guard at #19, I take Isaiah Wynn. He can play tackle. That is what we need. Another Collins who is talented enough to do either.

What we really need to do is quite being stubborn and rely on Zack Martin to be an emergency tackle.
Versatility is pointless in a first round pick. Martin plays nothing but RG. Frederick only plays center and Smith only plays LT. Who cares about versatility if the guy is your starting LG for the rest of his career.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is motherfucking scary ass shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Versatility is pointless in a first round pick. Martin plays nothing but RG. Frederick only plays center and Smith only plays LT. Who cares about versatility if the guy is your starting LG for the rest of his career.
I bring up the flex thing because it appears to me exactly how this team thinks.

They will never draft a player high where they have a "starter" no matter how limited the player is. They simply don't.

Either the guy is going to be handed a starting job or in a rotation where he will at worst be playing a good bit.

Even when the drafted Tyron Smith, he played a year at RT and flexed.

They draft to what they perceive as open roster spots. And when they take a player and things don't work out, then you get things like Escobar where they fumble about for years trying to figure it out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bring up the flex thing because it appears to me exactly how this team thinks.

They will never draft a player high where they have a "starter" no matter how limited the player is. They simply don't.

Either the guy is going to be handed a starting job or in a rotation where he will at worst be playing a good bit.

Even when the drafted Tyron Smith, he played a year at RT and flexed.

They draft to what they perceive as open roster spots. And when they take a player and things don't work out, then you get things like Escobar where they fumble about for years trying to figure it out.
What's the point though? We aren't playing any 6'2" 305 pound guy at OT. It's not happening. So the versatility is useless. Basically give me the best guard if you're taking a guard. Now it's possible that they view Wynn as the better guard because of his mobility and ability to pull. I don't necessarily agree with that but if that's how Dallas views it I'd trust them.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is motherfucking scary ass shit.

Oh ffs please tell me Broaddus is trolling

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You kind of hope he is. But I don't think so.

I really can see the Joneses needing it dumbed down to a fingerpaint level.
The sad thing is numbers are way easier to make sense of. We all know 9 is greater than 8. But who the fuck memorizes that yellow is worse than purple which is less than blue. It's basically nonsense that you actually have to take effort to understand and memorize.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones - football guy
:dunce

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You kind of hope he is. But I don't think so.

I really can see the Joneses needing it dumbed down to a fingerpaint level.
Wait a minute...this could explain some of our wtf draft picks. It turns out Jerry and Stephen are colorblind

junk

Not So New Member

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/956938043193266177

Apparently, I don't know how to embed tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom