2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, that is where that guy is from. I just didn't have any idea that they had a football team up there nor a NFL caliber prospect.
That's crazy, I mean I obviously knew University of Dubuque existed but had no idea they had an NFL caliber player. It's not a big college at all. It's actually one of three colleges in Dubuque, Iowa. But yeah I don't think I've ever been to a University of Dubuque football game and I grew up there.

junk

Not So New Member
That's crazy, I mean I obviously knew University of Dubuque existed but had no idea they had an NFL caliber player. It's not a big college at all. It's actually one of three colleges in Dubuque, Iowa. But yeah I don't think I've ever been to a University of Dubuque football game and I grew up there.
There's your new pet cat.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

p1_

DCC 4Life
anyone see a trend here?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
anyone see a trend here?
It’s JJ’s idiotic “1 player away philosophy”. He always believes that to be true of the Cowboys, and so refuses to draft players in the first round who he feels won’t produce dividends right away.

Since that’s normally true of WRs, he usually shies away.

But he’ll draft the fuck out of the CB/RB positions (traditional strong contributing positions as rookies) or to fill immediate needs along either line. He had to nearly get Shanghai’d By his family to draft Martin without an immediate need.

For once can we see a high pick at WR who isn’t an injury or character risk, but a legit prospect?

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
^ I know I keep harping on it, but I think if we go DT in the first we need a big body in there. Vea and Payne are the type who can get it done. Hurst, not as much IMO. Jackson looks like a good pick for the secondary.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
^ I know I keep harping on it, but I think if we go DT in the first we need a big body in there. Vea and Payne are the type who can get it done. Hurst, not as much IMO. Jackson looks like a good pick for the secondary.
Yeah, Hurst does not exactly excite me all that much. He's no Aaron Donald. Vea is a different story, but unlikely be there at 19.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, Hurst does not exactly excite me all that much. He's no Aaron Donald. Vea is a different story, but unlikely be there at 19.
He'll be there.

And he'll still be there at 20, too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm underwhelmed.

Trade down or out entirely for an extra first next year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He's not Aaron Donald but if your expectation is to find a HOF-caliber player at 19 you'll always be disappointed.

I'd be perfectly fine with Hurst, he's a seamless fit in our system and has rare burst/explosiveness on the interior. He isn't necessarily someone I'm dying for but he'd be another nice piece to the DL.

I'd also be happy with a multitude of defensive players, including Davenport, Payne, Vea, James, Harrison or obviously Roquan Smith.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's not Aaron Donald but if your expectation is to find a HOF-caliber player at 19 you'll always be disappointed.

I'd be perfectly fine with Hurst, he's a seamless fit in our system and has rare burst/explosiveness on the interior. He isn't necessarily someone I'm dying for but he'd be another nice piece to the DL.

I'd also be happy with a multitude of defensive players, including Davenport, Payne, Vea, James, Harrison or obviously Roquan Smith.
Is he better than David Irving? I don't think he is.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I want Tremaine Edmunds. But I doubt he makes it there either.

Hurst just reminds me a little bit of Charlton. They had a strong line that played off of each other for several years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Is he better than David Irving? I don't think he is.
Right now?

No, but is Irving going to be able to stay on the field, not get suspended, etc?

There have been plenty of rumblings that the team is hesitant in putting their full faith in Irving so he may not be in the long-term plans as much as his play would imply.

Either way, Irving can also rotate at DE and Collins is the only pure DT on the roster worth a damn, I think there is room for both Irving and Hurst. I'm hesitant about Hurst's weight so I want to see what his official measurements are at the Combine but assuming he's about 290-295 I'd be fine taking him at 19.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I want Tremaine Edmunds. But I doubt he makes it there either.

Hurst just reminds me a little bit of Charlton. They had a strong line that played off of each other for several years.
Edmunds would be my guy as well with Davenport after him most likely.

The point about their DL is true but they also several guys to the draft after last year and he was definitely the guy on the line this past year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right now?

No, but is Irving going to be able to stay on the field, not get suspended, etc?

There have been plenty of rumblings that the team is hesitant in putting their full faith in Irving so he may not be in the long-term plans as much as his play would imply.

Either way, Irving can also rotate at DE and Collins is the only pure DT on the roster worth a damn, I think there is room for both Irving and Hurst. I'm hesitant about Hurst's weight so I want to see what his official measurements are at the Combine but assuming he's about 290-295 I'd be fine taking him at 19.
I don't think he will ever be as good of a pass rusher as a three technique as Irving. So I don't want to spin my wheels picking a 3 technique and then trying to put guys out of position just to justify the pick.

It's why I have no interest in Hurst. Oddly enough though I'm ok with a DE. Even though I really like Lawrence and Taco and have no intentions of moving either of them. I just think with DE's you can really use 3 guys for about the equal amount of snaps and a LE can play RE and vice versa. Even the best NFL pass rushers you only want playing about 60% of the defensive snaps. So obviously you could have 3 guys playing the 2 DE spots getting 60% of the snaps or so.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think he will ever be as good of a pass rusher as a three technique as Irving. So I don't want to spin my wheels picking a 3 technique and then trying to put guys out of position just to justify the pick.

It's why I have no interest in Hurst. Oddly enough though I'm ok with a DE. Even though I really like Lawrence and Taco and have no intentions of moving either of them. I just think with DE's you can really use 3 guys for about the equal amount of snaps and a LE can play RE and vice versa. Even the best NFL pass rushers you only want playing about 60% of the defensive snaps. So obviously you could have 3 guys playing the 2 DE spots getting 60% of the snaps or so.
Why are you fine with 3 DE's and not 3 DT's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom