2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vea or Payne would be nice picks at 19 but we honestly shouldn't even bother talking about them since it's so unlikely. Just acknowledge that we'd be happy with the pick, move on, and be pleasantly surprised if it did happen.
I just love how a dude like Hayden gets painted as underrated. The guy was a total scrub. But yeah the best we can probably hope for is a middle round pick. And even that seems unlikely at this point.

p1_

DCC 4Life
For Vita Vea to make sense, Cowboys might have to do some convincing

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys finished the 2017 season with a struggling offense, but it appears the defense is still more of a concern if you ask ESPN Insider Mel Kiper Jr.

In his first mock draft, Kiper has the Cowboys selecting Washington defensive tackle Vita Vea with the 19th overall pick. Fellow ESPN Insider Todd McShay also had the Cowboys taking a defensive tackle in his first mock draft in Christian Wilkins, but he has elected to return to Clemson for another season.
The Cowboys don't currently have somebody the size of Washington's Vita Vea, who is 6-4 and 346 pounds, along their defensive front. Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire

From skill and need standpoints, the selection of Vea makes sense. For it to happen, however, the Cowboys have to break from one of defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's long-held truths: Don't draft run-stopping defensive tackles in the first round.

Marinelli has gotten by and succeeded with players such as Nick Hayden and Stephen Paea at nose tackle. Hayden was underrated in his time with the Cowboys, but he was not a dynamic interior player. Paea's first season with the Cowboys was cut short by a knee injury.

When the Cowboys lost Paea in 2017, they moved Maliek Collins to the nose tackle spot. He was OK, but the Cowboys came to love Collins his rookie year as the under tackle. He had to play out of position most of the season and was not able to replicate the success he had as a rookie.

However, Vea could be a different story. He is more than a run-stopper. He is a large man (6-4, 346 pounds) with athleticism that saw him move around Washington's line. He had 9.5 sacks in three seasons.

Kiper is right; the Cowboys don't have somebody of Vea's size along their front. They would like to keep Collins as their under tackle. They have gotten by on effort to stop the run instead of brute force. At times, they struggled against the run in 2017 but a lot of that came with Sean Lee off the field.

Vea makes sense for the Cowboys, but to get there they might have to convince Marinelli it is the right move.

Kiper also mentioned wide receiver as a possibility at No. 19. Only one receiver was off his board in Alabama's Calvin Ridley, who went No. 8 to the Chicago Bears. Texas A&M's Christian Kirk was the next receiver to go, at No. 26 to the Atlanta Falcons, and SMU's Courtland Sutton went No. 27 to the New Orleans Saints.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
However, Vea could be a different story. He is more than a run-stopper. He is a large man (6-4, 346 pounds) with athleticism that saw him move around Washington's line. He had 9.5 sacks in three seasons.
Exactly. He's not just a big immobile anchor -- he can actually run. I wouldn't even be surprised if he were gone before 19.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
yes, let's pass over Vea to placate an aging defensive coordinator who probably won't be here at this time next year

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Anyone who follows this team as closely as we nerds do, know that this team will not spend a first round pick on a DT like Vea.

For whatever reason, they see little value in a huge space eating DT like this even though Snacks Harrison gives this team fits twice a year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Exactly. He's not just a big immobile anchor -- he can actually run. I wouldn't even be surprised if he were gone before 19.
Danny Shelton went at pick 12 and Vea is a much better prospect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, let's pass over Vea to placate an aging defensive coordinator who probably won't be here at this time next year
Yeah and that's why I'd really like to see us change Marinelli's role now and bring in a defensive coordinator. No reason to fill everything exactly the way Marinelli wants it if he is going to retire and we will be bringing in a new defensive coordinator next year. Lets make the change now and keep Marinelli around as an assistant head coach to sort of smooth the transition with the defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Danny Shelton went at pick 12 and Vea is a much better prospect.
I don't know that he is a "much better" prospect. Danny Shelton was an absolute monster in college. I mean the guy had 9 sacks and 17 tackles for loss his last year in college football. Vea had 3.5 sacks and 5.5 tackles for loss in comparison this past season. But I do expect Vea to run better at the combine than Shelton did. I just think he is an overall better athlete which is why I've actually turned around a little on him.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Isn't the objective to win in the trenches? I think we could do that with Payne or Veah. And as some of you have already pointed out, Veah isn't just a big guy...he can move. Line him up next to Collins and that would make a hell of an interior.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I am glad to see some of you coming around. Like I have said before, Vea is the guy I want at 19. He is a huge pet cat of mine, and I think with him along with the other pieces we already have on this line very well could make this one of the best DLs in the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Screw that. Irving at the 5-T and Vea at NT would be the real nightmare.
That's a lot of imposing size in the middle. Vea because of his girth and 6'5" frame and Irving because of his 6'7" size and tremendous length.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Yeah fuck all that. Vea is #1 on my wish list. I'd tell that old man to sit down and stfu. Our D line is shaping up. Vea would be the last piece.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I am glad to see some of you coming around. Like I have said before, Vea is the guy I want at 19. He is a huge pet cat of mine, and I think with him along with the other pieces we already have on this line very well could make this one of the best DLs in the league.
Screw that. Irving at the 5-T and Vea at NT would be the real nightmare.
He won't be there at 19...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He won't be there at 19...
Eh I bet he will. But I guess we will see how he runs. There is a lot of shaking up to do in this draft.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter. We won't take him. Better someone else falls to us.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Eh I bet he will. But I guess we will see how he runs. There is a lot of shaking up to do in this draft.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter. We won't take him. Better someone else falls to us.
Saw a mock that had him at 10 but a lot have him around our pick. He will be gone by 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw a mock that had him at 10 but a lot have him around our pick. He will be gone by 19.
I know a lot of rankings had him right in that early 20s range. But we all know that there is a ton of shifting left to do on those rankings once guys run and everyone goes through the tape in depth.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

A bust to the chops bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom