2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So wide receiver is a bigger need than safety?
I think it is a much greater need than safety.

I know we all have wanted a safety for years, but honestly, if we can't score on offense, a new rookie safety isn't going to make a difference.

If they want a safety or need one so bad, they are way better off value-wise getting a veteran.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, you can pick up undrafted kickers and strike gold. Just scout the position well and get your top guy after the draft.
Or you can simply wait through the preseason and pick up a good one like Jake Elliott. The Eagles just grabbed him off the Bengals practice squad after they burned their draft pick on him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just because WR is a bigger need than safety doesn't mean we necessarily need to go with one at 19. I don't really get a "number one" vibe from most of these WR's, Ridley and Kirk both seem like very good number 2's, and while I'd be fine with them at 19 I'd be very open to taking someone like Marcus Davenport or Maurice Hurst over either of them even though DE/DT aren't as much of a need.

We can get someone like Anthony Miller or DJ Moore on Day 2.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just because WR is a bigger need than safety doesn't mean we necessarily need to go with one at 19. I don't really get a "number one" vibe from most of these WR's, Ridley and Kirk both seem like very good number 2's, and while I'd be fine with them at 19 I'd be very open to taking someone like Marcus Davenport or Maurice Hurst over either of them even though DE/DT aren't as much of a need.

Maybe Bailey isn’t finished. Maybe he came back too early and reinjured himself but decided to try and play through it.
Sorry. Attached this to the wrong post.

GShock

DCC 4Life

Hmmm...after Mosher's twitting of Moore, I wonder if he makes it to day 2.

i know this is just highlights, but after watching our 8-yard offense all season, some explosiveness sure is enticing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Moore could definitely rise into the 1st if he blows up at the Combine but at this point I still think it's likely that he goes in the 2nd. Now, does he fall to our pick in the 2nd?

That's the better question, but WR is relatively deep at the top with Ridley, Kirk, Sutton, Washington, and Miller, even if none of them are your AJ Green/Julie Jones uber-prospect type.

Everybody has latched on to WR as such a huge need, and while adding more speed there is definitely a top priority, I don't think it's necessarily something that has to be addressed with premium resources. We could add a guy like Taylor Gabriel or John Brown cheap in free agency, along with a 3rd or 4th round pick like Deontay Burnett, Michael Gallup or Dante Pettis, and be ready to go.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moore could definitely rise into the 1st if he blows up at the Combine but at this point I still think it's likely that he goes in the 2nd. Now, does he fall to our pick in the 2nd?

That's the better question, but WR is relatively deep at the top with Ridley, Kirk, Sutton, Washington, and Miller, even if none of them are your AJ Green/Julie Jones uber-prospect type.

Everybody has latched on to WR as such a huge need, and while adding more speed there is definitely a top priority, I don't think it's necessarily something that has to be addressed with premium resources. We could add a guy like Taylor Gabriel or John Brown cheap in free agency, along with a 3rd or 4th round pick like Deontay Burnett, Michael Gallup or Dante Pettis, and be ready to go.
I think WR is a huge need but I also agree with you. Although I'm not very high on Miller. WR just isn't a position where you have to invest first round picks to strike gold. Ridley and Kirk are really the only two I'd think about in the first round. But there is plenty of size and speed at WR that you can find in this draft in the second round and beyond. So I'd have no problem passing on a WR in the first. Hell I'd rather get two guys in the middle rounds probably. Give me a Jaleel Scott and Pettis combo in the third and fourth rounds and I'd be thrilled. Or Dontay Burnett or Antonio Callaway. Give me a big WR and an explosive speed guy.

p1_

DCC 4Life

we need to address it both places IMO, free agency and the draft. Because I think we need more than one receiver.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dane Brugler's draft mailbag: An underrated wide receiver the Cowboys should consider taking

By Dane Brugler , NFL Draft Analyst
Contact Dane Brugler
on Twitter:
@dpbrugler
Dane Brugler, senior NFL draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, answered your questions about the upcoming draft and the Cowboys in a mailbag. Check out his responses below!

Who's an underrated wide receiver in this class the Cowboys should look at drafting?

Dane Brugler: Maryland's D.J. Moore. His tape gives off a Steve Smith vibe with his shorter stature, but also the route athleticism and toughness. He has a great chance of out-playing his draft slot. If the Cowboys wait until the third or fourth round to address receiver, Boise State's Cedrick Wilson is an option.

Who do you like better as a fit for the Cowboys at WR: Christian Kirk or Courtland Sutton?

Dane Brugler: I would lead Kirk. He will never be a true No. 1 wideout in the NFL, but he has a very high floor and I feel good about what he brings to my roster with his athleticism. Sutton has a high ceiling as a pro with his size, power and body control, but he needs a lot of work as a route-runner and isn't the type of receiver who creates his own separation -- a lot of Dez-like qualities, but not as proven as No. 88.

Giants are in a great position. Who do you think they're looking at taking?

Dane Brugler: If they like any of these quarterback prospects, the Giants are going to draft one at pick No. 2. They don't expect to be picking in the top-five very often and have a great opportunity to find the long-term answer at the position. Eli Manning is still capable of playing in this league, meaning the rookie won't be pushed into action too early. If the Giants don't love any of the quarterbacks available, they will likely nab the best non-quarterback in the draft (with Cleveland likely to draft a quarterback at No. 1), which could be Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson, NC State pass rusher Bradley Chubb or Penn State running back Saquon Barkley.

In what scenarios are you comfortable with trading back in the draft? And what do you think it'd take for the Cowboys to pull something like that off on draft day?

Dane Brugler: If the Cowboys wish list is decimated by pick No. 19 then trading back is something that should be considered. It is realistic that players like Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Vita Vea, Maurice Hurst and Calvin Ridley are all off the board in the first 18 selections. The scenario becomes much more realistic if one of the quarterbacks slips. With quarterback-needy Buffalo set to pick at No. 21, could a team look to trade up and secure a Baker Mayfield or another passer?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dane Brugler: I would lead Kirk. He will never be a true No. 1 wideout in the NFL, but he has a very high floor and I feel good about what he brings to my roster with his athleticism. Sutton has a high ceiling as a pro with his size, power and body control, but he needs a lot of work as a route-runner and isn't the type of receiver who creates his own separation -- a lot of Dez-like qualities, but not as proven as No. 88.
Uh, we have some of that already. Not sure I wanna sign up for more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uh, we have some of that already. Not sure I wanna sign up for more.
I agree, although it would help if he isn't a diva. I think anyone can learn to be a better route runner for example. But it takes real effort to improve on things like that. And frankly diva WR's like Dez just don't care or think it's worth the effort.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
In today’s NFL I just don’t think you need the big bodied WRs like before. Defenses are going with quick, fast cover CBs because the NFL is all about barely touching the receivers, and if they do it’s getting a penalty called.
WRs like Dez can use their size and strength in the end zone, but to me that’s a 1 trick pony. And now that he’s declined a bit even that isn’t as big a strength anymore.

I think this team needs speed and jumping ability like Doctson for the Redskins and Brown for the Steelers.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In today’s NFL I just don’t think you need the big bodied WRs like before. Defenses are going with quick, fast cover CBs because the NFL is all about barely touching the receivers, and if they do it’s getting a penalty called.
WRs like Dez can use their size and strength in the end zone, but to me that’s a 1 trick pony. And now that he’s declined a bit even that isn’t as big a strength anymore.

I think this team needs speed and jumping ability like Doctson for the Redskins and Brown for the Steelers.
I agree completely that speed matters a lot more than size and power, and route running and hands trump all.

midswat

... soon
Worked out so well when we drafted Buehler.

Good times.
I would pay money to listen to that Hostile interview after that draft - I think he did it on that Zoner guy who died who had a podcast or something... where he literally raved about how he loved every single pick we made. Yes, even the kicker. Which was so nyuk nyuk funny because gosh darn it Hostile hates kickers lolololol. Mike Mickens = Orlando Scandrick. Jason Williams = Patrick Willis. Etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For Vita Vea to make sense, Cowboys might have to do some convincing
12:35 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer
FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys finished the 2017 season with a struggling offense, but it appears the defense is still more of a concern if you ask ESPN Insider Mel Kiper Jr.

In his first mock draft, Kiper has the Cowboys selecting Washington defensive tackle Vita Vea with the 19th overall pick. Fellow ESPN Insider Todd McShay also had the Cowboys taking a defensive tackle in his first mock draft in Christian Wilkins, but he has elected to return to Clemson for another season.

The Cowboys don't currently have somebody the size of Washington's Vita Vea, who is 6-4 and 346 pounds, along their defensive front. Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire
From skill and need standpoints, the selection of Vea makes sense. For it to happen, however, the Cowboys have to break from one of defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli's long-held truths: Don't draft run-stopping defensive tackles in the first round.

Marinelli has gotten by and succeeded with players such as Nick Hayden and Stephen Paea at nose tackle. Hayden was underrated in his time with the Cowboys, but he was not a dynamic interior player. Paea's first season with the Cowboys was cut short by a knee injury.

When the Cowboys lost Paea in 2017, they moved Maliek Collins to the nose tackle spot. He was OK, but the Cowboys came to love Collins his rookie year as the under tackle. He had to play out of position most of the season and was not able to replicate the success he had as a rookie.

However, Vea could be a different story. He is more than a run-stopper. He is a large man (6-4, 346 pounds) with athleticism that saw him move around Washington's line. He had 9.5 sacks in three seasons.

Kiper is right; the Cowboys don't have somebody of Vea's size along their front. They would like to keep Collins as their under tackle. They have gotten by on effort to stop the run instead of brute force. At times, they struggled against the run in 2017 but a lot of that came with Sean Lee off the field.

Vea makes sense for the Cowboys, but to get there they might have to convince Marinelli it is the right move.

Kiper also mentioned wide receiver as a possibility at No. 19. Only one receiver was off his board in Alabama's Calvin Ridley, who went No. 8 to the Chicago Bears. Texas A&M's Christian Kirk was the next receiver to go, at No. 26 to the Atlanta Falcons, and SMU's Courtland Sutton went No. 27 to the New Orleans Saints.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Vea or Payne would be nice picks at 19 but we honestly shouldn't even bother talking about them since it's so unlikely. Just acknowledge that we'd be happy with the pick, move on, and be pleasantly surprised if it did happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom