2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dare I mention Rico Gathers? Whatever happened there?
Phantom concussion so they could stash him all year.

He is still a developmental player, not ready to be on a roster, but they are scared to have him on the practice squad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phantom concussion so they could stash him all year.

He is still a developmental player, not ready to be on a roster, but they are scared to have him on the practice squad.
So developmental player that you couldn't develop because he was on IR. Still don't get it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We are talking about the Cowboys.
The cowboys are far from being the only team that’s stashed a player on IR that they didn’t want to chance clearing waivers. Hell, Joe Gibbs practically made it a science and is the reason things like that are more closely watched now. He’d IR them for anything. But since concussions are under the microscope now, it’s easier to use that designation claiming you are concerned for the players safety. Easy to see if a knee is healed. Hard to go against a team doctor that is claiming the player is still showing symptoms from a concussion.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I really like Ronnie Harrison in the first round. I think he is an excellent compliment at safety to someone like Woods.

And Allen Lazard really intrigues me. I know I want some speed at receiver but damn he looks like a legit big receiver. One who is both explosive enough in his routes to get separation but is also a legit 6'4" 220 pound type guy. I don't know if you watched the Memphis game but he was straight unstoppable in that game and even had a tweaked ankle while doing it.
Yeah he looks like a stud. I'd love to see him and another burner, not a small little shitbag like Switzer, but a burner in the 5-11 to 6' range that can get up and get the ball but also run away from people. We just don't have that kind of WR and I think we desperately need one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The cowboys are far from being the only team that’s stashed a player on IR that they didn’t want to chance clearing waivers. Hell, Joe Gibbs practically made it a science and is the reason things like that are more closely watched now. He’d IR them for anything. But since concussions are under the microscope now, it’s easier to use that designation claiming you are concerned for the players safety. Easy to see if a knee is healed. Hard to go against a team doctor that is claiming the player is still showing symptoms from a concussion.
I guess I don't see how not playing football for a year is going to help a guy who has barely played football in his life. I guess we assume training camp and preseason is all he really needs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah he looks like a stud. I'd love to see him and another burner, not a small little shitbag like Switzer, but a burner in the 5-11 to 6' range that can get up and get the ball but also run away from people. We just don't have that kind of WR and I think we desperately need one.
If we could get Lazard and Callaway in the third/fourth round I'd be thrilled. One guy is bigger than any of the receivers on our roster and the other guy is faster than all the receivers on our roster. And frankly we should have room to do that.

In free agency I actually really like Paul Richardson. I remember really liking him coming out of Colorado. He has tons of speed but is also 6 foot so he isn't some sort of a munchkin either. He had 703 yards receiving for Seattle and at 25 years old he has his best football ahead of him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I guess I don't see how not playing football for a year is going to help a guy who has barely played football in his life. I guess we assume training camp and preseason is all he really needs.
They still get to participate in the offseason program along with training camp and preseason. Worth it to take a flyer on a guy with his athleticism like this. And if he doesn't make it...? Oh well. Not much lost.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It absolutely is a coping mechanism. I think, for some, it's the only other option rather than completely giving up and walking away from the team. I mean, if you don't have hope that we can draft our way past Garrett to a SB, then what's to hope for at all?
I have said time and again, if we ever win a SB with Garrett as head coach it is in spite of him, not because of him. If he is here I'm not watching. period.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dane Brugler's draft mailbag: The Cowboys' biggest need, some WRs Dallas could target
By Dane Brugler , NFL Draft Analyst Contact Dane Brugleron Twitter:mad:dpbrugler

Dane Brugler, senior NFL draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, answered your questions about the upcoming draft and the Cowboys in a mailbag. Check out his responses below! You can see Part 2 of his mailbag here.

What do you think is the Cowboys' biggest draft need?

I think what happens in free agency will help bring clarity to this question. There are needs at every level of the defense and at left guard, but right now, I would lean wide receiver. Regardless if Dez Bryant is or isn't a true No. 1 wide receiver anymore, it doesn't matter -- he isn't going anywhere and he will be this team's "X" wide receiver in 2018. But he needs more help from the "Z" receiver and if the Cowboys can upgrade from Terrance Williams, they need to do so. And Alabama's Calvin Ridley would be an ideal candidate because of his play speed and route-running, allowing him to create separation. That type of addition to the offense would have a ripple effect, helping give Dak an easier target and take pressure off Dez on the other side.

How likely is Saquon Barkley to the Giants? If so, would Zeke no longer be the most feared back in the division?

If the Giants don't go quarterback then I think it's very likely. But that is a big "if" as the Giants don't expect to be picking in the top-5 very often and shouldn't pass on the opportunity to secure the quarterback of the future if he is there. The Browns likely go quarterback at No. 1, meaning USC's Sam Darnold or UCLA's Josh Rosen is guaranteed to be there at No. 2. Right now, I would lean quarterbacks going 1, 2 in the draft.

Is there a No. 1 wide receiver in this draft? Or someone who could eventually turn into one that the Cowboys could target?

There isn't a Julio Jones or AJ Green in this draft -- the type of target who you anoint as a true No. 1 wide receiver the moment he is drafted. But this class has some intriguing talent at the position, starting with Alabama's Calvin Ridley. He is more of a high-end No. 2 wideout, but has the ceiling of a No. 1. SMU's Courtland Sutton has the potential to be a No. 1, but he requires a patient coaching staff. Could an Anthony Miller (Memphis) or James Washington (Oklahoma State) develop into a team's top receiver? It's possible, but I don't think they should be drafted with those expectations.

Which way do the Cowboys lean this draft: Offense or defense?

The easy answer is both, but after focusing on defense with the first three picks last year, Dallas needs to show more love to the offense in this class, specifically left guard, wide receiver and tight end. However, at pick No. 19, the strategy should ALWAYS be best player available. The Cowboys need to add talent to this roster and not reach on need (cough, Taco, cough). I'm not saying they should draft a quarterback if one is there at 19, but they should keep an open mind to the talents who fall to them at No. 19. They can address specific needs in the second and third rounds.

Is there any indication the Cowboys are looking for a potential Jason Witten replacement this draft?

Jason Witten is a future hall of famer, but he'll be the first to admit he's getting closer and closer to the 18th hole. So absolutely, tight end will be in the mix in this year's draft. Adding a Dallas Goedert (South Dakota State) or Mark Andrews (Oklahoma) in the second round would add another weapon to the offense and a long-term succession play for life after Witten.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks captain obvious. Now just try and do a better job than you did with Chaz Green. And oh yeah, don't try and turn your swing tackle into a guard. Tends to fuck with their development too.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Thanks captain obvious. Now just try and do a better job than you did with Chaz Green. And oh yeah, don't try and turn your swing tackle into a guard. Tends to fuck with their development too.
What he isnt telling you is thats its with the first pick.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
NFL Draft prospect to know: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M

NFL Draft prospect to know: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M

Christian Kirk would be an ideal target for Dak Prescott.
By Cole Patterson@colelpatterson Jan 13, 2018, 11:00am CST

C. Morgan Engel-USA TODAY Sports
Blogging The Boys will begin taking a look at some of the NFL Draft prospects that will be in the 2018 NFL Draft class. Some weeks, we will look at potential targets that will be within the Cowboys’ expected draft range. Others, we will highlight some of the elite members of the class.
Another week, another draft prospect to familiarize yourself with here at BTB!

In recent weeks, we have looked at weapons to add to Dak Prescott’s arsenal, most recently USC wide receiver Deontay Burnett and Memphis wideout Anthony Miller. The passing game needs a boost, so it wouldn’t be a shock if the Cowboys opt to give Dak another target in the first round or so. Last week, on the defensvie side, we took a look at the Washington Huskies’ big defensive tackle Vita Vea. The Cowboys will have a variety of options they can choose from once draft time arrives.

This week, we move back to the offensive side of the ball. While Alabama Crimson Tide receiver Calvin Ridley is widely considered the draft class’ top wideout, there are many others that can make a big impact for whichever team they are drafted to as well. Burnett, Miller, and Cam Sutton are just a few that come to mind.

Today, we’ll look at one of the draft’s best receivers, returners, and explosive playmakers: Texas A&M do-it-all athlete Christian Kirk.

Christian Kirk — wide receiver, Texas A&M Aggies
5-foot-11
Junior
NCAA Football: Arkansas at Texas A&M
Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
Christian Kirk entered the collegiate ranks after putting together a crazily impressive prep career in Arizona. Kirk inked with Texas A&M over just about every program in the country, as the five-star prospect wanted to play in Kevin Sumlin’s spread offensive in the Lone Star State. Now, Kirk enters the 2018 NFL Draft as one of the more intriguing players in his draft class.

Because he arrived in College Station with a lot of hype, Kirk was expected to produce early and often for the Aggies during his debut season on the collegiate level — and boy, did he. As a freshman, Kirk played in all 13 games and caught 80 balls for a whopping 1,009 yards and seven touchdowns. He averaged nearly 13 yards per reception and was clearly the Aggies’ go-to threat during his first season on campus. Not impressive enough? Kirk also handled return duties, returning 20 kicks for 385 yards and 14 punts for 341 yards and two scores. Kirk was selected to the SEC’s first team all-conference at the All-Purpose spot.

Kirk continued his impressive success in year two. The dynamic athlete became more of a focal point for opposing defensive game plans; still, though, Kirk caught three more passes than he did in his freshman season, recorded 928 yards, and found the end zone nine times from the wideout position. He also averaged more than eleven yards per reception in 13 games. As a punt returner, Kirk totaled 282 yards and three touchdowns on 13 returns in 2016.

The All-American finished his collegiate career in impressive fashion in 2017. He caught 71 passes for 919 yards and a career-high 10 touchdowns, along with a career-high 12.9 yards per reception. No matter how much defensive coordinators planned to take him out of games, Kirk always found a way to beat them. Kirk returned another touchdown in his punt return duties during his junior season just for good measure. He went out with a bang in his final game for the Aggies — catching 13 passes for 189 yards and three touchdowns in a wild 55-52 loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Kirk was definitely a special player during his electrifying Texas A&M career.

Now, the big-play threat looks towards the NFL. He will likely be a day one or two pick and will instantly give his new team a player that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. But how will the slot transition to the NFL? Here is what Walter Football has to say about the former Texas A&M star. Baby Beckham?

The passing-driven nature of the NFL makes a weapon like Kirk in demand for pro offenses. Some scouting sources told me that during his freshman season Kirk immediately jumped out to them as being a special player and their nickname for Kirk was “Baby Beckham” in reference to Odell Beckham Jr.

What team sources love about Kirk is his raw speed and explosiveness. He is very fast and a threat to take any touch into the end zone. Kirk is dynamic as a deep receiver to stretch the field vertically while providing a serious home-run weapon to his offense. His raw speed makes him a huge challenge for cornerbacks to run with him. The lightning-fast Kirk can just bolt past a cornerback and safety deep down the field even when the defense knows he is going to push them vertically. Even on short receptions, Kirk is dangerous as he is the kind of receiver who can take a quick slant all the way down the field to the end zone.

I’m not sure he is an Odell clone (but then again, who is?), but Kirk certainly resembles traits of the former LSU phenom. Kirk has the speed to fly by defensive backs, the IQ to find open areas in a zone defense, and the home-run ability to turn a five-yard catch into an explosive touchdown. His ability to be a playmaker in the return game also adds value to his stock.

The one issue (for the Cowboys) in drafting Kirk is that he may be too similar to two players already on the roster: Cole Beasley and Ryan Switzer, who Dallas selected in the fourth round just last year. Both Bease and Switz handle return duties and we saw a little bit of what Switz can do from the slot in the season finale versus the Eagles. Would the Cowboys want to spend a premium pick on a player that is similar to those? If it was up to me, yes.

Why? Well other than his explosive ability and good character, Kirk is the ideal guy for a “Dak-friendly” offense. We have heard the term “Dak-friendly” a lot lately, signaling that the front office and coaching staff want to build its offense around what Dak Prescott does best. Well, a player that would help Dak significantly would be Kirk. His playmaking ability in the slot would give Dak a a go-to target and give a Cowboys a big-play maker on the offense, something that would benefit Dez Bryant and Ezekiel Elliott.

Will the Cowboys take Kirk? I have no idea. I’m not sure the Cowboys take him at 19 (especially if a guy like Calvin Ridley or even Roquan Smith is still on the board), and he may be picked before their second selection; however, everything is fluid in this draft process, so who knows?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The one issue (for the Cowboys) in drafting Kirk is that he may be too similar to two players already on the roster: Cole Beasley and Ryan Switzer, who Dallas selected in the fourth round just last year. Both Bease and Switz handle return duties and we saw a little bit of what Switz can do from the slot in the season finale versus the Eagles. Would the Cowboys want to spend a premium pick on a player that is similar to those? If it was up to me, yes.
There is one massive difference between him and Beasley/Switzer. It's pure speed. Neither of those guys have it. They are both 4.5-4.6 type guys. Quick but not fast. Kirk on the other hand has the speed to take the top off the defense and burn teams deep. It would keep DBs honest because they would have to respect his ability to go deep on them. It would open things up on offense massively. Teams know Beasley isn't catching shit beyond 10 yards. So it makes the corners job easy. Someone like Kirk could run a come back route really easily because corners would have to be in full bail mode. Or shit even those long crossing routes across the field, no corner would be able to keep up with him.

Anyway, it would be silly to pass on the guy simply because we have a couple slot corners on the roster. Kirk is a way more complete receiver.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
There is one massive difference between him and Beasley/Switzer. It's pure speed. Neither of those guys have it. They are both 4.5-4.6 type guys. Quick but not fast. Kirk on the other hand has the speed to take the top off the defense and burn teams deep. It would keep DBs honest because they would have to respect his ability to go deep on them. It would open things up on offense massively. Teams know Beasley isn't catching shit beyond 10 yards. So it makes the corners job easy. Someone like Kirk could run a come back route really easily because corners would have to be in full bail mode. Or shit even those long crossing routes across the field, no corner would be able to keep up with him.

Anyway, it would be silly to pass on the guy simply because we have a couple slot corners on the roster. Kirk is a way more complete receiver.
I thought I stuck that article in the draft section of the forum, not sure why it got moved...:unsure

Yeah, obviously I agree with your assessment. He's officially my pet cat 103 days out.

Cotton

Staff member
I thought I stuck that article in the draft section of the forum, not sure why it got moved...:unsure

Yeah, obviously I agree with your assessment. He's officially my pet cat 103 days out.
You did, but I moved it to the Cowboys draft thread, because you know, it's about a potential Cowboys draft pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I definitely like him among other WR's. My only concern is I worry that pick 19 is a little high for him. I don't know that he will fall to our pick in the second round. I would say trade down but Jerry always makes me nervous doing that.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Yeah I definitely like him among other WR's. My only concern is I worry that pick 19 is a little high for him. I don't know that he will fall to our pick in the second round. I would say trade down but Jerry always makes me nervous doing that.
Would trading down like that to go after a specific player constitute drafting for need as opposed to best-player-available?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would trading down like that to go after a specific player constitute drafting for need as opposed to best-player-available?
Yeah you can't really do that. Because the second you trade down to take someone another team will jump in front of you to snatch them. But if the best available at 19 aren't really a position you need than trading down is always a good option and then you just sort of hope that Kirk is still around. And if not you take someone else. At least that's in my opinion how you work BPA. And I use the word need real loosely. But lets face it, you're not going to take a RB in the first round even if they are BPA. You're not going to take a center in the first round even if they are BPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom