2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I listen to that too. I like Helman, as at least he presents himself as kinda uneducated, doesn't know what he's talking about from a college perspective. Brugler is very smart obviously and belongs in the upper echelons of NFL Draft Pundits like McShay and Mayock.

Broaddus.... yeah, I mean, he does have some insight that, as a former scout, is interesting. But by and large I almost always disagree with his takes and I completely understand why Parcells fired him.
Plus he is just annoying as hell. And he says shit that's just flat out wrong. Sometimes having nothing to do with an actual evaluation but he just has no idea what he is talking about sometimes when it comes to trading picks and things of that nature. Just a dope if you ask me. So yeah I mostly listen to it for Brugler who at least has some different ideas than guys like McShay and Mayock. He gives me some different ideas to ponder.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I watch the draft show they have on the Cowboys website. Broaddus is part of that. I literally have no idea how that guy was a scout. He is an absolute clown. Reminds me of a fatter version of Dave Campo. I don't think anyone could take him seriously at all. The only guy I don't hate on that show is Dane Brugler who at least sounds like someone that you could take seriously. But honestly if that guy was able to be an NFL scout it makes me wonder why I couldn't be an upgrade to some of these retards.
If you spent any time around scouts you'd realize that a good amount of them aren't exactly geniuses. It's a very insular industry that has a lot of rent-seeking behavior with artificial boundaries to entry that are used to keep people in their positions and maintain an aura of superiority and mystery.

This shit isn't exactly rocket science, it's running, catching a ball, throwing a ball, tackling other men, and blocking other men in various patterns.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Unfortunately Tay Tay is the one on the right. But not too bad on either if you ask me.
Oh yeah, she ain't bad either. Just saying the one on the left has a bit of whore feel to her.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Plus he is just annoying as hell. And he says shit that's just flat out wrong. Sometimes having nothing to do with an actual evaluation but he just has no idea what he is talking about sometimes when it comes to trading picks and things of that nature. Just a dope if you ask me. So yeah I mostly listen to it for Brugler who at least has some different ideas than guys like McShay and Mayock. He gives me some different ideas to ponder.
He literally gets into fights trying to trade away half our picks trying to move up for like one player.

He's like.... "What, you guys wouldn't be interested in trading away 19, our 2nd, and a third this year and next year to get up to 15 to get your guy? YOU HAVE NO BALLS!"

Uh.... your trade up ideas are always terrible, Broaddus. And usually not even for a player we really need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you spent any time around scouts you'd realize that a good amount of them aren't exactly geniuses. It's a very insular industry that has a lot of rent-seeking behavior with artificial boundaries to entry that are used to keep people in their positions and maintain an aura of superiority and mystery.

This shit isn't exactly rocket science, it's running, catching a ball, throwing a ball, tackling other men, and blocking other men in various patterns.
Yeah it's pretty much what I figured. It's just a hard industry for someone to break into. But honestly the credentials necessary for the job aren't particularly high.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah it's pretty much what I figured. It's just a hard industry for someone to break into. But honestly the credentials necessary for the job aren't particularly high.
Yea I mean generally the credentials are knowing the right person, being in the right place at the right time and getting lucky.

Winstar

Brand New Member
Yeah, we need to use all 5 of the picks in the 4th and 5th to secure some better depth, especially along the OL and at WR. Our depth is horrific except on the DL. Matter of fact, I would go so far as to say our lack of depth at certain positions cost us the playoffs this year.
I will feel a lot better if we have some depth for Lee and Tyron. Maybe Dez but I think the inability for the Cowboys to put average talent at LB and LT cost us the playoffs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I will feel a lot better if we have some depth for Lee and Tyron. Maybe Dez but I think the inability for the Cowboys to put average talent at LB and LT cost us the playoffs.
Absolutely Dez. We need to be looking to vastly improve our WR corps. Good thing this is such a deep WR class and we lots of picks. No way Jerry and Co. can fuck this up, right?

Right?

Guys?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely Dez. We need to be looking to vastly improve our WR corps. Good thing this is such a deep WR class and we lots of picks. No way Jerry and Co. can fuck this up, right?

Right?

Guys?
Even if we just draft Fountian he would instantly be the most talented WR we have drafted since Terrance William's and maybe even Dez Bryant.

Winstar

Brand New Member
Even if we just draft Fountian he would instantly be the most talented WR we have drafted since Terrance William's and maybe even Dez Bryant.
Bingo.....CR55 has it right. I'm just not sure Jerral, Stephen and Garrett have the smarts to draft him. I'm thinking somebody will pick Fountain in the third or early fourth round after he blew up his pro day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bingo.....CR55 has it right. I'm just not sure Jerral, Stephen and Garrett have the smarts to draft him. I'm thinking somebody will pick Fountain in the third or early fourth round after he blew up his pro day.
The good news is the Cowboys have identified him as a talent already. So we at least know he is a serious consideration.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Can somebody tell me what makes Harold Landry so different from Vic Beasley?

They're nearly identical in terms of height/weight/Combine tests, their statistical production in college is very similar, and their strengths/weaknesses are quite similar as prospects in terms of excellent speed on the edge, great bend/balance, but a lack of size/bulk makes them liabilities vs. the run.

Landry had a somewhat disappointing senior year but much of that was due to injuries.

I think Landry can play a similar role to what Beasley is in Atlanta, which is basically a SAM LB in base packages and designated nickel/dime edge rusher. Given that Beasley went 8th overall I think Landry would be more than acceptable at 19 and he should be talked about more along with guys like Hernandez, Ridley, Wynn, Vander Esch and so forth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can somebody tell me what makes Harold Landry so different from Vic Beasley?

They're nearly identical in terms of height/weight/Combine tests, their statistical production in college is very similar, and their strengths/weaknesses are quite similar as prospects in terms of excellent speed on the edge, great bend/balance, but a lack of size/bulk makes them liabilities vs. the run.

Landry had a somewhat disappointing senior year but much of that was due to injuries.

I think Landry can play a similar role to what Beasley is in Atlanta, which is basically a SAM LB in base packages and designated nickel/dime edge rusher. Given that Beasley went 8th overall I think Landry would be more than acceptable at 19 and he should be talked about more along with guys like Hernandez, Ridley, Wynn, Vander Esch and so forth.
Because Vic Beasley is a far more explosive athlete. Beasley played most of his college career at the 232 pound range and looked extremely explosive. He bulked up to 247 pounds I think for the combine and ran a blazing 4.53 with a 41 inch verticle. The guy is a freak athlete. I don't know that Landry is really in the same ball park in terms of athletic ability. Or at lest it didn't show up on tape that way. Landry ran a 4.64 forty with a 36 vertical so his explosion numbers aren't really the same. He could do what you're saying still but I don't think he's in the same category in terms of athlete that Beasley was. I think Landry would be more of a pure RE here. Although I think Landry has more of a full book of pass rush moves where as Beasley was more a pure run around the college O-lineman kind of guy. Which when you're 232 pounds and a freak athlete it's not hard to do against 300 pound college OTs with slow feet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Because Vic Beasley is a far more explosive athlete. Beasley played most of his college career at the 232 pound range and looked extremely explosive. He bulked up to 247 pounds I think for the combine and ran a blazing 4.53 with a 41 inch verticle. The guy is a freak athlete. I don't know that Landry is really in the same ball park in terms of athletic ability. Or at lest it didn't show up on tape that way. Landry ran a 4.64 forty with a 36 vertical so his explosion numbers aren't really the same. He could do what you're saying still but I don't think he's in the same category in terms of athlete that Beasley was. I think Landry would be more of a pure RE here. Although I think Landry has more of a full book of pass rush moves where as Beasley was more a pure run around the college O-lineman kind of guy. Which when you're 232 pounds and a freak athlete it's not hard to do against 300 pound college OTs with slow feet.
I agree that Beasley is a slightly better athlete and a bit more explosive but I don't think it's night and day, they're similar. Landry has a great burst off the snap and does an excellent job of dipping his shoulder/getting low and maintaining balance to bend around the edge. The fact that he ran .1 seconds slower or jumped 5 inches less isn't something that indicates a gigantic gap. 4.64 and 36 are still excellent numbers for a 250+ lb. edge rusher.

I think he could certainly be an RDE but he could also be that base SAM/nickel+dime edge rusher/blitzer similar to how Barr is used in Minnesota and Beasley is used in Atlanta. Given that we have Lawrence/Charlton already on the roster I think using him in that role would be a great way to get all three on the field more, and then in pass-rushing situations you have a nice rotation between the three off the edge, with a little Crawford, Irving or whoever mixed in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that Beasley is a slightly better athlete and a bit more explosive but I don't think it's night and day, they're similar. Landry has a great burst off the snap and does an excellent job of dipping his shoulder/getting low and maintaining balance to bend around the edge. The fact that he ran .1 seconds slower or jumped 5 inches less isn't something that indicates a gigantic gap. 4.64 and 36 are still excellent numbers for a 250+ lb. edge rusher.

I think he could certainly be an RDE but he could also be that base SAM/nickel+dime edge rusher/blitzer similar to how Barr is used in Minnesota and Beasley is used in Atlanta. Given that we have Lawrence/Charlton already on the roster I think using him in that role would be a great way to get all three on the field more, and then in pass-rushing situations you have a nice rotation between the three off the edge, with a little Crawford, Irving or whoever mixed in.
Khalil Mack does a lot of similar stuff to what you're talking about as well. Landry may very well be able to do it. I just think Vic Beasley is a bad comparison. I mean the guy was a freak in college in terms of burst of the edge. Landry is a more powerful guy. Just different types of guys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Khalil Mack does a lot of similar stuff to what you're talking about as well. Landry may very well be able to do it. I just think Vic Beasley is a bad comparison. I mean the guy was a freak in college in terms of burst of the edge. Landry is a more powerful guy. Just different types of guys.
Landry's game definitely relies more on speed/burst than it does power. He may not be quite as explosive as Beasley but he's not a "power" type of rusher, like Charlton is.

At any rate, Beasley was taken at 8 so I feel like a slightly less explosive/athletic version of him at 19 would definitely be good value. I'm not saying he should be our pick, just that he should be in the conversation with that 2nd tier of guys like Vander Esch, Hernandez, etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Landry's game definitely relies more on speed/burst than it does power. He may not be quite as explosive as Beasley but he's not a "power" type of rusher, like Charlton is.

At any rate, Beasley was taken at 8 so I feel like a slightly less explosive/athletic version of him at 19 would definitely be good value. I'm not saying he should be our pick, just that he should be in the conversation with that 2nd tier of guys like Vander Esch, Hernandez, etc.
I wouldn't complain if we took Landry at 19. I think he is getting overlooked because of an injury riddled season. And I think he'd certainly be in the top 19 on my board. And that may even be as a pure RE but who cares. You need 3 great DEs just to keep everyone fresh. Even great pass rushers s huhould only be at 60-70% snaps like I've mentioned before. All the great defenses bring them in waves.

Just not sure Dallas is even considering him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom