2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also more and more I watch Evans and Vander Esch the more and more I like Vander Esch more. You can tell he was the alpha on that defense. On top of that he just looks so natural in coverage. Evans looks like a spaz 2 down guy to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I get that but don't guys like Antonio Brown have the same mark against them? I mean he's the best WR in football. He wins with excellent routes and really good speed (Ignoring his forty, he plays way faster). I don't know that I limit a receivers ceiling simply because he isn't 6'2" + 215 pounds. Larry Fitzgerald types are great too but I don't think you need to be that big to be a lead dog. Plus he is like 6'1", it's a whole inch shorter than Dez.
It's not so much the height as it is the lack of physicality/dominance in the air that bothers me. Brown has that, and maybe Ridley develops it because clearly Brown has improved by leaps and bounds since coming into the league in all facets, but he's also a huge outlier.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Also more and more I watch Evans and Vander Esch the more and more I like Vander Esch more. You can tell he was the alpha on that defense. On top of that he just looks so natural in coverage. Evans looks like a spaz 2 down guy to me.
Yes I prefer Vander Esch, still would be fine with Evans but I think Vander Esch has a higher ceiling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I prefer Vander Esch, still would be fine with Evans but I think Vander Esch has a higher ceiling.
Yeah I'm feeling better about Vander Esch at 19. But I like him a lot more than Evans. Not even really close for me. It's interesting because I know Vander Esch is a guy that people either love or hate but when he moves I actually see a little Brian Urlacher. Clearly he didn't have the total college career of Urlacher but the length and fluid hips and ability to just fly around kind of remind me of him. Just on a much smaller sample size. Plus like I said, he just stands out as the stud of that defense. Also Urlacher was 6'4" with long arms, 258 pounds and ran a 4.61 forty. Vander Esch is 6'4" 256 pounds and ran a 4.65 forty. Both guys were basically the stand out studs of their defenses.

Obviously my opinion doesn't matter but just my two cents on the guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not so much the height as it is the lack of physicality/dominance in the air that bothers me. Brown has that, and maybe Ridley develops it because clearly Brown has improved by leaps and bounds since coming into the league in all facets, but he's also a huge outlier.
I don't think he is terrible at it. But I'll take a guy who makes defenders absolutely look silly with his routes over a guy with no separation who out muscles guys on jump balls any day.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Steelers have been fantastic at recognizing and developing WRs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep, hence why if you made me choose between the two I would take Vander Esch. Evans is a schlub. I'm still confused at to why he is slated for the first by some.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now here is the stat line of a stud LBer...

AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten in his senior year (134 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, two interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, one forced fumble). Wouldn't even cost a first round pick.

Cotton

Staff member
Now here is the stat line of a stud LBer...

AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten in his senior year (134 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, two interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, one forced fumble). Wouldn't even cost a first round pick.
Homer.

Cotton

Staff member
If it makes you feel better I'm against James Daniels in the first for us.
It does not make me feel better, because he shouldn't even be in that discussion.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Uuugghh

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just take Hurst if you want a 3-T.
Does not have the same non-stop motor whiteness.

I don't get it with the player. There are actually people who claim he is comparable to J.J. Watt. Seriously?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I don't get it with the player. There are actually people who claim he is comparable to J.J. Watt. Seriously?
From now on any top white interior pass rushing prospect will draw comparisons to Watt. Dude’s probably the best ever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

How is it that like six good plays somehow outweigh his average to poor play on every other down. I don't get it. No way he should be a first rounder.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom