2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

If he makes it to 19 and we pass, I may rage quit the DCC Convention.

Cotton

Staff member
RE: Vea...

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

If he makes it to 19 and we pass, I may rage quit the DCC Convention.
Might as well move on to your next favorite. That way if a miracle happens and we select him you are happy. Will save you some frustration in the long run that way.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Maybe the guy from Seattle will have more input on defensive draft picks this year since this is the old man's last year?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
enjoy that meaningless 6-0 victory when Vea goes off the board in the mid first

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Depends what you mean by a number one. Dak I think is best when he doesn't have one guy demanding the ball and having the coaches try to design plays for him. But having a legit talented receiver is something that obviously would make Dak better and it would be silly to claim otherwise.
No one is claiming otherwise.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like Vea but Dane Brugler isn't as high on him as some. I think there are some serious motor questions.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Holy crap! Don't want to over react to a couple of videos, but we gotta get Vea!

Cotton

Staff member
I like Vea but Dane Brugler isn't as high on him as some. I think there are some serious motor questions.
From what I have seen, I am seeing no motor issues. The man moves very well for his size, and does so on every play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one is claiming otherwise.
Just checking because when you make statements that you dont want a new WR and that you think Dak is better without a number 1 WR, I wonder what you're getting at. We obviously need to get better at WR. Maybe both attitude and speed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
From what I have seen, I am seeing no motor issues. The man moves very well for his size, and does so on every play.
Are you watching entire games or just highlights? No offense, and I'm no expert, I'm just saying people have called him into question for things besides his physical ability, which would otherwise be top 10-top 15 lock.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to believe a guy who covers kicks would be lazy at times. But sometimes guys get picked apart with over analysis.

Of course some guys get too much hype based on a few highlight plays. It's a balancing game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just checking because when you make statements that you dont want a new WR and that you think Dak is better without a number 1 WR, I wonder what you're getting at. We obviously need to get better at WR. Maybe both attitude and speed.
Yeah, NoDak already explained how you misread that. I'd love a Julio Jones or AJ Green.

What I'm saying is, I don't particularly want our strategy in this draft to be a first round WR. I mean, BPA is BPA, and I guess if Ridley is there at 19 it's hard to imagine a better player available, but my preference for team building purposes feels that getting a stud DL or LB is what this team needs. Or a FS, and move Jones to CB and have a trio of Jones, Awuzie, and Lewis.

I don't like any of the early round WRs enough that I feel it would fit with what is best to make this team a long term contender. This team is built around a rushing attack, and that needs a defense to complement it.

And yeah, I think Dak is better without having pressure to get a number 1 guy the ball. Obviously Dez is to blame there but I don't think Dak is blameless either. I don't think he thrives when he feels he has to go to Dez, as has been the case in two seasons here in Dallas. He surely could use better WR talent but I think it's actually a little worse for him having an alpha number 1 and then average twos and threes, versus if he had a handful of above average complimentary wideouts.

Again, if we are going to model ourselves after KC or Carolina, or even look at the Eagles.... there are no AJ Greens, Julio Jones, or Amari Coopers there. You have solid QBs, solid defenses, solid running games, and WRs are more journeymen or under the radar types.

Romo's biggest problem during his tenure wasn't that he needed a Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, or Roy Williams as his number 1. Romo continued to thrive after Owens was gone.

What Romo missed all those years was a defense and an OL. He only got the latter very late in his career. Don't want to make the same mistake with Dak.

Need to get a long term piece on that side of the ball. A nice 12 year linebacker would be awesome.

Cotton

Staff member
Are you watching entire games or just highlights? No offense, and I'm no expert, I'm just saying people have called him into question for things besides his physical ability, which would otherwise be top 10-top 15 lock.
I have watched him in live games. I'm no expert either, but the man is a beast. I have never seen any plays where it was obvious he took the play off. But, I could have missed them.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, NoDak already explained how you misread that. I'd love a Julio Jones or AJ Green.

What I'm saying is, I don't particularly want our strategy in this draft to be a first round WR. I mean, BPA is BPA, and I guess if Ridley is there at 19 it's hard to imagine a better player available, but my preference for team building purposes feels that getting a stud DL or LB is what this team needs. Or a FS, and move Jones to CB and have a trio of Jones, Awuzie, and Lewis.

I don't like any of the early round WRs enough that I feel it would fit with what is best to make this team a long term contender. This team is built around a rushing attack, and that needs a defense to complement it.

And yeah, I think Dak is better without having pressure to get a number 1 guy the ball. Obviously Dez is to blame there but I don't think Dak is blameless either. I don't think he thrives when he feels he has to go to Dez, as has been the case in two seasons here in Dallas. He surely could use better WR talent but I think it's actually a little worse for him having an alpha number 1 and then average twos and threes, versus if he had a handful of above average complimentary wideouts.

Again, if we are going to model ourselves after KC or Carolina, or even look at the Eagles.... there are no AJ Greens, Julio Jones, or Amari Coopers there. You have solid QBs, solid defenses, solid running games, and WRs are more journeymen or under the radar types.

Romo's biggest problem during his tenure wasn't that he needed a Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, or Roy Williams as his number 1. Romo continued to thrive after Owens was gone.

What Romo missed all those years was a defense and an OL. He only got the latter very late in his career. Don't want to make the same mistake with Dak.

Need to get a long term piece on that side of the ball. A nice 12 year linebacker would be awesome.
DaeSean Hamilton in the 3rd and I'm happy.

GShock

DCC 4Life
This is going to sound insane (and is almost certainly wrong - what do I know), but I don't like Vea as a 1-tech in our scheme. If we are going to ask him to take on double-teams on 1st and 2nd down all game, and maybe get some interior pass rush in our 3-down lineman package, I think it's a poor fit. I think he excels in 1 on 1 situations. Ask him to blow up a center who he outweighs by 50 pounds and he's a stud. Use his initial quickness or run in pursuit? Sure. But spend a game getting ground down by an NFL center and guard? Get penetration only to get earholed by a NFL TE on a trap? Dig in on 3rd and short and stuff 2 lineman to blow the play up in the backfield?

I don't know that he's got that grit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DaeSean Hamilton in the 3rd and I'm happy.
Yeah I like what the Seahawks do. Baldwin is a Pro Bowl WR but he isn't a demanding number 1. They have a bunch of fast guys who can catch who back him up. Wilson is then basically able to go out there and throw to the open guy.

The problem is we have no receivers like that here.

Cotton

Staff member
This is going to sound insane (and is almost certainly wrong - what do I know), but I don't like Vea as a 1-tech in our scheme. If we are going to ask him to take on double-teams on 1st and 2nd down all game, and maybe get some interior pass rush in our 3-down lineman package, I think it's a poor fit. I think he excels in 1 on 1 situations. Ask him to blow up a center who he outweighs by 50 pounds and he's a stud. Use his initial quickness or run in pursuit? Sure. But spend a game getting ground down by an NFL center and guard? Get penetration only to get earholed by a NFL TE on a trap? Dig in on 3rd and short and stuff 2 lineman to blow the play up in the backfield?

I don't know that he's got that grit.
He might not have that stamina, but from what I have seen, I draft him, let the conditioning coach go to work, and profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom