2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Um where Schmitty said, "I don't want a WR"
Yeah, I took that as wanting to focus on defense at the top. Not that he was against improving team speed at WR/TE throughout the entire draft.

Just curious, though. Who would you want in the first couple rounds that would improve our WR/TE speed? JMO, but there is nobody at WR or TE in this draft that I'd want over any of the guys I listed above as who I'd like in the first. If those 5 guys are gone? Sure, sign me up for a WR then.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Is there even any point in drafting a TE as long as Witten is here? We know nobody on this coaching staff has the balls to sit him.

And yeah, I don't want to start drafting WRs in the first round just because they have great speed. That would make Jerry's transformation into end days Al Davis complete.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I took that as wanting to focus on defense at the top. Not that he was against improving team speed at WR/TE throughout the entire draft.

Just curious, though. Who would you want in the first couple rounds that would improve our WR/TE speed? JMO, but there is nobody at WR or TE in this draft that I'd want over any of the guys I listed above as who I'd like in the first. If those 5 guys are gone? Sure, sign me up for a WR then.
I would have thought that was obvious. Yeah, I'd like to have steak everywhere.

But my lean in the first couple rounds would be defense. Free agency too.

If I can find a speed WR or a TE successor to Witten who is more Jimmy Graham than plodding Jason Witten, fine, but I'm thinking more in the 4th round for a TY Hilton type.

I don't think Ridley or James Washington are true deep burners. That's what I'm looking for. If the cupboard is bare, fine, but I want a stud LB, a stud DT, another high caliber DE (though picking DE's past 15 is a gamble, I think), or even a complete FS (and by complete I mean both ball hawking and able to play the run).

I don't see an AJ Green or Julio Jones in this draft at WR, so I'm not burning up to add a number two WR type at 19.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would have thought that was obvious. Yeah, I'd like to have steak everywhere.

But my lean in the first couple rounds would be defense. Free agency too.

If I can find a speed WR or a TE successor to Witten who is more Jimmy Graham than plodding Jason Witten, fine, but I'm thinking more in the 4th round for a TY Hilton type.

I don't think Ridley or James Washington are true deep burners. That's what I'm looking for. If the cupboard is bare, fine, but I want a stud LB, a stud DT, another high caliber DE (though picking DE's past 15 is a gamble, I think), or even a complete FS (and by complete I mean both ball hawking and able to play the run).

I don't see an AJ Green or Julio Jones in this draft at WR, so I'm not burning up to add a number two WR type at 19.
If you want a deep burner look at Taylor Gabriel or John Brown in free agency. Too bad our coaches won't know how to use them because they aren't 6-2+ or a midget white shrimp.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Is there even any point in drafting a TE as long as Witten is here? We know nobody on this coaching staff has the balls to sit him.

And yeah, I don't want to start drafting WRs in the first round just because they have great speed. That would make Jerry's transformation into end days Al Davis complete.
I dont want to draft a WR just because they have speed but speed is needed since our staff refuses to get creative. Maybe since Jerry is scouting what other offenses are doing we will be ok.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
team that can't find a decent swing tackle to save their lives is going to magically luck into a difference-making speed receiver in Round 3. sure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ridley is the only WR I'd take in the first round. Everyone else I'd want to wait for at WR. But I'd take Ridley over everyone you listed except R Smith probably. And maybe even him.

Dallas Goedert looks like a perfect explosive TE for the second round. I'll want to make sure he runs well given hos college competition but if he does he'd be in my running for the second round pick. Not sure I love any of the other TEs yet to take one that high.

I agree in the first round, only way I go offense is on the slim possibility Ridley falls to us.

I wouldn't say that's the case in the second round though. Depends who is still around. But I'd love some weapons on offense, I just don't think the talent fits it in the first round.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
team that can't find a decent swing tackle to save their lives is going to magically luck into a difference-making speed receiver in Round 3. sure.
Round 4

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Depending on who is there, I would seriously consider Goedert with our 2nd rounder. Dude is just good. I'm happy he won't be torturing my Bison any more. If we don't get him, I hope he ends up over in the AFC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No problem, just draft TY Hilton in the fourth. No big deal, it's easy to do.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No problem, just draft TY Hilton in the fourth. No big deal, it's easy to do.
TY Hilton type. And I tend to agree with him.

My wish is to address the defense with our premium picks, with a TE mixed in either in the 2nd or 3rd. This is a very good TE class, with good, deep talent at the top. I'd like any one of the top 5-6 guys, with my favorite being Goedert. But if he's gone at our 2nd, which would not shock me at all, I'd look back to the defense and see which one of Gesecki, Hurst, Thomas, Fumagalli, and maybe Smythe are still there in the 3rd.

I like this TE class WAAAY more than I do the WR group. Imo, there is a pretty big drop from the top few guys to the next group.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you want a deep burner look at Taylor Gabriel or John Brown in free agency. Too bad our coaches won't know how to use them because they aren't 6-2+ or a midget white shrimp.
Yeah, that's probably the route I'd go. I don't want to force a "#1 WR" just cause we are worried about Dez's decline. You can get by with WR by committee with our running game and OL -- in fact Dak may even be better that way.

I am not convinced we don't know how to use them... it just hasn't been our preference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
TY Hilton type. And I tend to agree with him.

My wish is to address the defense with our premium picks, with a TE mixed in either in the 2nd or 3rd. This is a very good TE class, with good, deep talent at the top. I'd like any one of the top 5-6 guys, with my favorite being Goedert. But if he's gone at our 2nd, which would not shock me at all, I'd look back to the defense and see which one of Gesecki, Hurst, Thomas, Fumagalli, and maybe Smythe are still there in the 3rd.

I like this TE class WAAAY more than I do the WR group. Imo, there is a pretty big drop from the top few guys to the next group.
I've actually got a similar opinion but it's not because I want "to load up on defense in the early rounds." And I actually like this WR class but it sucks at the top. I think it's really middle round heavy though. I'd rather snag a WR in the third and fourth round as opposed to say drafting one WR in the second round. And that's not to say I don't like guys like Kirk who but to me he is a second round WR who is going to end up being gone by our second round pick because a lack of elite WR prospects in this draft.

The TE class is strong as well for the middle rounds. I don't see anyone I'd want in the first round but you set out a pretty good group of guys who I'd love to have in Dallas that will all be available in the second round or later.

The only thing I really disagree with is that we have plenty of talent on offense and that we need to load up on defense. Because we really don't. We haven't made a legitimate stab at anyone with any explosive ability at TE or WR in some time. Shit the last time we drafted a legit WR prospect was probably Terrance Williams in the third round. And before him it was probably Dez. We have got to have one of the slowest WR corps in the NFL and when you factor in how slow Witten is at this point we have the least explosive offense outside of Zeke. On the other hand we have put in a ton of draft picks on defense. Which is understandable but at this point we have the numbers there. I'd be all for adding a high impact guy in the first but I'm certainly not looking to draft 3 defensive players in the first three rounds unless the talent makes it impossible to do otherwise.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's probably the route I'd go. I don't want to force a "#1 WR" just cause we are worried about Dez's decline. You can get by with WR by committee with our running game and OL -- in fact Dak may even be better that way.
This is my suspicion as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is my suspicion as well.
Depends what you mean by a number one. Dak I think is best when he doesn't have one guy demanding the ball and having the coaches try to design plays for him. But having a legit talented receiver is something that obviously would make Dak better and it would be silly to claim otherwise.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Depends what you mean by a number one. Dak I think is best when he doesn't have one guy demanding the ball and having the coaches try to design plays for him. But having a legit talented receiver is something that obviously would make Dak better and it would be silly to claim otherwise.
We need a different type of number one. Dak would be just find with a Marvin Harrison type #1. He wants to throw to open receivers so you want guys that can get open either with speed or with route running. Dez isn't that guy. Never has been. Romo had the ball control to make Dez what he was but Dak doesn't. Dez needs a top flight QB to shine. Sadly, Dak isn't that. At least not as a pocket passer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom