Davison: Gavin Escobar becoming forgotten man on Cowboys roster

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's the question in some people's minds. I don't know whether he failed as a receiver or he just wasn't utilized as one.
To me, he has more burden to have created a role for himself. Hanna was not regarded as a premier move/block TE, but he at least worked at it until he became an important piece of the team.

Escobar has remained in receiving TE mode and has never broken out of it.

dallen

Senior Tech
To me, he has more burden to have created a role for himself. Hanna was not regarded as a premier move/block TE, but he at least worked at it until he became an important piece of the team.

Escobar has remained in receiving TE mode and has never broken out of it.
If I remember right the big knock on Hanna coming out was his blocking. Now it is his biggest strength

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
If we ever draft another second round TE while Witten is still here I'm breaking shit.

Fortunately I think won't as long as we have Beasley.
Hopefully Rico shows something, or Swaim improves, where we won't be tempted to.

I'm hoping for a defense heavy draft this offseason along with a stud WR.

It's such a relief to not have to worry about drafting a QB or RB for a while.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I just don't understand how somebody can have the 3 game stretch he had in 2014 and score that many TD's, show good hands and then disappear from the offense.

That just makes zero sense its not like he start dropping passes like Bennett.
The only thing I can think of is that the team still doesn't feel as if he has recovered from his injury.

Outside of that I can't help but scratch my head about it.

Let's face it, it'd be nice to have yet another reliable red-zone target and during a stretch it looked like it -may- have been him.

The frustrating part is that if we're not going to use him then trade him already. No need for us to continue to have him eat up a roster spot if we're not going to use him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wouldn't ever call Escobar reliable.

dallen

Senior Tech
Hopefully Rico shows something, or Swaim improves, where we won't be tempted to.

I'm hoping for a defense heavy draft this offseason along with a stud WR.

It's such a relief to not have to worry about drafting a QB or RB for a while.
Witten, Hanna, and Swaim are a pretty good set of TEs

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Acceptable.

FWIW kinda wish we had Marty B still here right now.
When he was here he wasn't ready to play football. He was using his position to promote his other interests. It caught up to him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We will move on from Escobar without much production just like we have every other second round TE. I just wish he still had some trade value. I'd ship him for a draft pick today if I could.

shane

DCC 4Life
I just don't understand how somebody can have the 3 game stretch he had in 2014 and score that many TD's, show good hands and then disappear from the offense.

That just makes zero sense its not like he start dropping passes like Bennett.
Dallas not being very good at developing talent might have something to do with it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas not being very good at developing talent might have something to do with it.
I don't think that's necessarily true with TEs. I think we have done a solid job of developing guys here. It's a matter of opportunities and Escobar isn't getting any, any longer.

data

Forbes #1
Witten obviously doesn't need speed to still be productive. He could play for another 15 years from a wheelchair. Do a little wheelie on an arrow route and he's an automatic 1st.

Jiggyfly

Banned
When he was here he wasn't ready to play football. He was using his position to promote his other interests. It caught up to him.
B.S. he was the best blocking Te in the NFL his entire time here, you don't block like he did andnot be ready to play football.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
B.S. he was the best blocking Te in the NFL his entire time here, you don't block like he did andnot be ready to play football.
Oh really. Maybe he just couldn't get ready to catch a pass. He was pretty sloppy with Dallas but I know he is your home boy Aggie.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh really. Maybe he just couldn't get ready to catch a pass. He was pretty sloppy with Dallas but I know he is your home boy Aggie.
Says the number 1 Murray fanboy.

You just have zero self awareness.:lol

Kind of like somebody else who is a hot topic around here.:unsure

Rev

Staff member
Why not?

He caught most everything thrown to him.
So why isnt he playing? It has to be something in practice and hence not reliable.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So why isnt he playing? It has to be something in practice and hence not reliable.
That is the mystery.

But he has shown a skillset in actual games, the reality is that we just don't know.

Williams is not reliable as well but we keep giving him chances.

Rev

Staff member
That is the mystery.

But he has shown a skillset in actual games, the reality is that we just don't know.

Williams is not reliable as well but we keep giving him chances.
Nvm. I read your reply as a question.

Williams is more by necessity I think because we dont have nobody else at the moment. Butler may be able to do it but I have my doubts.

Top Bottom