2018 Cowboys hirings/firings thread...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He is still a fan. Just a disgruntled fan that's not going to waste his time. I'm pretty much there myself but I will continue to watch. I've just been at it for too long to let Jerry completely win. I just won't purchase anything. Its all I got.
You're at the point where I was at the end of 2012.

Losses don't bother me anymore and even the wins don't make my day like they had before, but I was still interested in the team and wanted them to win. Despite knowing that the likelihood of winning big was slim because of how they did things as an organization, the fan in you still has that little glimmer of hope that maybe all the stars will align for no logical reason at all and we will finally win something.

But even that little part of me is starting to die out now. Even in 2014 I always felt like Garrett would cost us when it mattered most. And while that Green Bay loss is not remembered for any specific coaching blunder, passing the ball at the end of the first half when we should have run it directly lead to a 10-point swing that ended up being a big momentum changer in that game.

And then there was last year where his stank was all over that loss to Green Bay.

So after seeing how our last two trips to the playoffs went under Garrett it is very clear to me that even if we have another decent season he will find a way to screw it up when it matters most.

So there is no hope that we will ever win a Super Bowl under the current regime for me now. I'm 100% convinced that we aren't winning anything of any real significance with him as our head coach and with the Jones family continuing to operate the way that they do. No more hoping for a miracle or any other such nonsense.

It's over.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh yea....it can happen in week 1.

I just think it'll be silly for fans, especially on this forum since most here are pretty intelligent fans, to be bitching about the exact same thing next season.

If you wanna keep watching, then go right ahead. To each their own. But if you're knowingly following the team despite their counterproductive way of doing things, then it doesn't make much sense to me to get upset those about those things it when they arise once more.

I'd rather not even watch and that's exactly why I won't come next season.

The way I look at it is, if you're willing to cheer and get your hopes up at draft time, then you're going to be mad when they blow another game via coaching in the fall.

Why even go through that anymore?
I respect your point of view, but no fan gets to tell another fan how to be a fan. It’s against the rules of fandom.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Then quit, asshole. I don't want this guy having any input, he has been a loser everywhere he has gone. A true product of nepotism.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh yea....it can happen in week 1.

I just think it'll be silly for fans, especially on this forum since most here are pretty intelligent fans, to be bitching about the exact same thing next season.

If you wanna keep watching, then go right ahead. To each their own. But if you're knowingly following the team despite their counterproductive way of doing things, then it doesn't make much sense to me to get upset those about those things it when they arise once more.

I'd rather not even watch and that's exactly why I won't come next seahh(son.

The way I look at it is, if you're willing to cheer and get your hopes up at draft time, then you're going to be mad when they blow another game via coaching in the fall.

Why even go through that anymore?
Because some folks enjoy complaining. :art

data

Forbes #1
I respect your point of view, but no fan gets to tell another fan how to be a fan. It’s against the rules of fandom.
This is ‘murca. You don’t tread on what I do and I don’t moonwalk on yours. Just don’t burn the billboard. That’s saved, man.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
You're at the point where I was at the end of 2012.

Losses don't bother me anymore and even the wins don't make my day like they had before, but I was still interested in the team and wanted them to win. Despite knowing that the likelihood of winning big was slim because of how they did things as an organization, the fan in you still has that little glimmer of hope that maybe all the stars will align for no logical reason at all and we will finally win something.

But even that little part of me is starting to die out now. Even in 2014 I always felt like Garrett would cost us when it mattered most. And while that Green Bay loss is not remembered for any specific coaching blunder, passing the ball at the end of the first half when we should have run it directly lead to a 10-point swing that ended up being a big momentum changer in that game.

And then there was last year where his stank was all over that loss to Green Bay.

So after seeing how our last two trips to the playoffs went under Garrett it is very clear to me that even if we have another decent season he will find a way to screw it up when it matters most.

So there is no hope that we will ever win a Super Bowl under the current regime for me now. I'm 100% convinced that we aren't winning anything of any real significance with him as our head coach and with the Jones family continuing to operate the way that they do. No more hoping for a miracle or any other such nonsense.

It's over.
That's pretty much how I feel. I quit ordering NFL ST last year even though I previously loved catching every game, win or lose.(I ended up switching to Xfinity anyway so I couldn't order it) I'd pump my fist when we won and curse when we lost a close one. I'm still happy to see a W but I'm kind of indifferent when there's a loss these days.

I'm just not as into the game in general as much I used to be, I think part of that is just getting older and having other priorities. I used to look for every little bit of news about the draft, OTAs, TC, everything but I don't do that anymore. Even if we had made the playoffs this year, I wouldn't have paid as much attention as in the past. My other half has been in and out of the hospital a couple of times in the past few weeks, she can't drive anymore so I have to drive her everywhere, do all the errand running and her mother who lived with us died New Year's Eve a little after 11 PM and now we have to figure out how to pay for services because she didn't have life insurance. I've just got too much crap on my mind to even think about football.

I still like college football, at least until the NCAA finds a way to fvck that up. I haven't paid attention to the NBA or MLB for ages and never got interested in hockey so football is basically it for me.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's pretty much how I feel. I quit ordering NFL ST last year even though I previously loved catching every game, win or lose.(I ended up switching to Xfinity anyway so I couldn't order it) I'd pump my fist when we won and curse when we lost a close one. I'm still happy to see a W but I'm kind of indifferent when there's a loss these days.

I'm just not as into the game in general as much I used to be, I think part of that is just getting older and having other priorities. I used to look for every little bit of news about the draft, OTAs, TC, everything but I don't do that anymore. Even if we had made the playoffs this year, I wouldn't have paid as much attention as in the past. My other half has been in and out of the hospital a couple of times in the past few weeks, she can't drive anymore so I have to drive her everywhere, do all the errand running and her mother who lived with us died New Year's Eve a little after 11 PM and now we have to figure out how to pay for services because she didn't have life insurance. I've just got too much crap on my mind to even think about football.

I still like college football, at least until the NCAA finds a way to fvck that up. I haven't paid attention to the NBA or MLB for ages and never got interested in hockey so football is basically it for me.
Same here, only that indifference towards the NFL started about 4 years ago for me.

I don't watch many games at all anymore and don't remember the last non-Cowboys game that I watched in its entirety. I don't and haven't had Sunday Ticket in years and don't miss it. I haven't watched the playoffs in a long time and don't plan on watching a single minute of it this year.

I enjoy the college game much more these days, so that'll be my go-to this season as I will likely refrain from watching all NFL football in 2018, barring some miracle.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seems like the rats are jumping ship with Bisaccia and Eberflus leaving for other jobs. With seemingly 75% of the staff turning over there better be no excuses left if they miss the playoffs next year, it'd be time to clean house, obviously.

junk

Not So New Member
Seems like the rats are jumping ship with Bisaccia and Eberflus leaving for other jobs. With seemingly 75% of the staff turning over there better be no excuses left if they miss the playoffs next year, it'd be time to clean house, obviously.
Are you talking about Eberflus to NE rumors? Who wouldn't take that? Move to a coordinator under Belichick or stay as a position coach under Garrett. No brainer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys begin making coaching staff changes
3:49 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The changes Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett have alluded to since the Dallas Cowboys' season ended have started.

According to multiple sources, special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia will be allowed to leave despite being under contract with the Cowboys for two more seasons, and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson and secondary coach Joe Baker, whose contracts were set to expire, were told they will not be back with the team.

Bisaccia will most likely to join Jon Gruden with the Oakland Raiders.

Changes to head coach Jason Garrett's staff have begun, according to sources. Jennifer Stewart/Getty Images

The future of offensive line coach Frank Pollack is also in question, despite having three Pro Bowl players -- Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin -- in place since 2014. Pollack took over as line coach in 2015; during his tenure the Cowboys have finished ninth, second and second in the NFL in rushing.

Pass protection, however, was an issue in 2017, especially with Smith missing three full games and most of a fourth because of injuries. The Cowboys allowed 32 sacks; 22 came in the final eight games, including eight against Atlanta without Smith. Dak Prescott threw just one touchdown pass in the games in which Smith did not play.

Bisaccia had been the Cowboys' assistant head coach and special-teams coordinator since 2013. While the return games have not produced much, the Cowboys' coverage teams have been among the best in the NFL. The Cowboys allowed just 75 punt return yards this season, the fewest in the league. Before a late-season slide, Dan Bailey had been the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and punter Chris Jones had his best season.

The Cowboys had made a commitment to adding or keeping key special-teams contributors over the years.

Wilson had been the quarterbacks coach since 2007. He helped the development of Tony Romo and Prescott, who earned Pro Bowl honors, but the Cowboys drafted just two quarterbacks during Wilson's tenure: Stephen McGee in 2009 and Prescott in 2016. Both were fourth-round picks.

Baker, a college teammate of Garrett's, was promoted to secondary coach in 2016 after spending four seasons as an assistant secondary or safeties coach. The Cowboys have not had a secondary member lead the team with more than three interceptions since Terence Newman had four in 2011. The Cowboys selected four defensive backs -- Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Xavier Woods and Marquez White -- in last year's draft after opting to let veterans Brandon Carr, Barry Church, Morris Claiborne and J.J. Wilcox leave in free agency.

Carr, Church and Claiborne were much more productive with their new teams than they had been with the Cowboys in their final seasons.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Are you talking about Eberflus to NE rumors? Who wouldn't take that? Move to a coordinator under Belichick or stay as a position coach under Garrett. No brainer.
I thought I read that McDaniels would target him for wherever he ends up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So basically we are here:

Wade Wilson out - 100 bucks says Kellen Moore in
Gary Brown - out
Derek Dooley - supposedly on the outs
Frank Pollack - supposedly on the outs

Matt Eberflus - out; going to New England or following Josh McDaniels to the Giants if he moves
Joe Baker - out

They better get this shit right or it could be a disaster.

It is almost unheard of to clean house of the majority of an assistant coach staff and retain the head coach and both coordinators.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So basically we are here:

Wade Wilson out - 100 bucks says Kellen Moore in
Gary Brown - out
Derek Dooley - supposedly on the outs
Frank Pollack - supposedly on the outs

Matt Eberflus - out; going to New England or following Josh McDaniels to the Giants if he moves
Joe Baker - out

They better get this shit right or it could be a disaster.

It is almost unheard of to clean house of the majority of an assistant coach staff and retain the head coach and both coordinators.
Heads are rolling.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Heads are rolling.
All of the heads that really needed to be lopped off are still here and now will try to piece together a staff.

Sounds like a great plan.

I get that guys like Wilson needed to go. Not sure if Eberflus and Pollack are going to be filled with better guys.

The OL thing concerns me the most. They better get that shit right. Sounds like he was scapegoated for the Chaz Green idiocy which is not his fault.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cosmetic changes. Yay.
Some yes, some no. The OL change is significant. Get the wrong guy, the highly paid lifeblood of the offense takes a step back. It is not just about talent on the OL. Look at the Raiders, a pretty talented OL went to dogshit this year under Mike Tice and his kid.

Top Bottom