2018 Cowboys hirings/firings thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I started a thread with the faint hope that there is an actual shake up, both with coaches and some players. Not holding out a ton of hope, but maybe a thread will help.

Cotton

Staff member
I expected to see a tumbleweed gif
That will most likely come within the next day or two when our FO does jack nor shit to better this team.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That will most likely come within the next day or two when our FO does jack nor shit to better this team.
You expect Jerry to make changes to a coaching staff that had a winning record and stuff?

Cotton

Staff member
You expect Jerry to make changes to a coaching staff that had a winning record and stuff?
It's the only hope I have to hang onto.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Marinelli is safe. The defense was the strength of our team in the second half of the season. He pitched a shutout in his last game. Yes it was against reserves but a shutout is rare in the NFL none-the-less. I really don't think he should be fired anyway. He's finally got his type of guys in there and we're finally seeing good results. Add a decent DT, safety and some LB depth, and I think we could really have something.

Linehan needs to go but, honestly, most of the problem is probably Garrett's shitty "Romo-friendly" offense. He probably won't be fired though. We'll see.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Witten as a person and player but he limits our offense in so many ways. We really need to stop relying on him so heavily. And no, he isn't a weapon that you should be splitting out wide like a WR.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If Garrett is actually fired (I know, unlikely) my guess is this lazy organization would immediately start combing through the scrap heap of failed retreads like Caldwell, Fox, and Del Rio.

My preference would be for them to target a young up and coming coordinator. But that ain't happening so I'll stop daydreaming. :sad

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If Garrett is actually fired (I know, unlikely) my guess is this lazy organization would immediately start combing through the scrap heap of failed retreads like Caldwell, Fox, and Del Rio.

My preference would be for them to target a young up and coming coordinator. But that ain't happening so I'll stop daydreaming. :sad

You'll get norv Turner and like it!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know.

We'll probably drag Bruce Coslet out of retirement as well to help run the offense.
Yeah how dare anyone try to bring in new or fresh ideas. If we want those Garrett will just watch tape of the Patriots and try to copy them. The NFL hasn't changed or anything from the early 90s.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah how dare anyone try to bring in new or fresh ideas. If we want those Garrett will just watch tape of the Patriots and try to copy them and blame player execution when it doesn't work. The NFL hasn't changed or anything from the early 90s.
FIFY

BipolarFuk

Demoted

McDaniels would be great, but we would get a guy who the game has passed him by a long time ago like Jeff Fisher.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
McDaniels would be great, but we would get a guy who the game has passed him by a long time ago like Jeff Fisher.
SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

midswat

... soon
Derek Dooley being released from the coaching staff.

Garrett’s fall guy.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys move on from WR coach Derek Dooley
The team has decided to not re-sign the Cowboys' position coach for 2018.
Patrik Walker - 37 minutes ago 1

The Dallas Cowboys are indeed looking to shake up their coaching staff a bit.

The team went 9-7 and will now miss the playoffs for the third time in the last five seasons. Much is being said of just how inept the Cowboys' offense was over the course of the season, falling from top 10 to bottom-of-the-barrel in the absence of running back Ezekiel Elliott. Things didn't get better once Elliott returned either, as the regression of the offensive play calling and quarterback Dak Prescott continued to finish out the year.

The latter wasn't exactly helped by the unit of Cowboys' wide receivers, who suffered from poor schematics and simply dropping key passes. This did nothing but increase the temperature under wideouts coach Derek Dooley and, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport, the Cowboys have opted to move on from the veteran coach.

Dooley joined the Cowboys in 2013 after serving stints as Athletics Director at Louisiana Tech as well as head coach at the University of Tennessee. He's responsible for helping mold Cole Beasley and Dez Bryant into two of the best receivers in the league, with the latter becoming a three-time pro bowler, an All-Pro, reeling in the franchise record for most receiving touchdowns in a season (2014) and now owning the franchise record for most receiving touchdowns in Cowboys' history.

In his time in Dallas, Dooley propelled the team to a top-five finish in passing yards per play in both 2014 and 2016, but the downturn in 2017 ultimately caused the Cowboys to consider other options going forward.

There will be no shortage of job opportunities going forward for a talent like Dooley.

Top Bottom