Jason Witten Sees "Too Many Positives" To Consider Calling It A Career

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, he just never looked off the left side of the field. I think he really wanted to go to Dez there but he was covered well. The decision to throw to Zeke at that point was dumb though. Dak just looked panicky on that one though. Like he just expected the pressure to be there already.
So it was the OLs fault. Got it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Did I say that? Please point it out to me. Because clearly I didn't.
Ahhh just giving you crap as even when you admit Dak's faults you tend to make excuses for him.

Expecting pressure to be there implies the play is less his fault because the lack of a supporting cast able to keep that pressure off him created a poor QB'ing environment.

Sorry, but that was as pathetic a play with the season on the line as it gets for a QB.

Dez fumbled his loaf of bread but the other two turnovers are on Dak.

The defense had more than done its job. Zeke was averaging 5 a clip.

There are no excuses here. Dak blew it.

Time for next season.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know people will view talk like this as an attack on Witten but these are honest discussions that need to take place at Cowboys HQ. Most sane organizations do this all the time.
I don't think you have to worry about people seeing it as an attack. What would Belichick do? He'd cut him or severely reduce his role. Witten just isn't great anymore with about a million miles on the odometer, and that's all there is to it.

But you're right, this franchise will probably let him play as long as he feels like it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez fumbled his loaf of bread but the other two turnovers are on Dak.

The defense had more than done its job. Zeke was averaging 5 a clip.

There are no excuses here. Dak blew it.

Time for next season.
Not sure I'm putting an INT on Dak for a pass that hit Dez Bryant right in the hands.

But yeah air mailing a pass to Elliott who is 5 yards in front of you is all on Dak. It was a dumb decision to make the throw. And then if you're going to make that dumb decision at least throw the ball accurately. But instead he threw the ball all off balance like an idiot. No excuse on that one. It was an inexcusable play by Dak. My hope is that as he matures he will grow out of that sort of stuff. Young QBs tend to panic more than veterans.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you have to worry about people seeing it as an attack. What would Belichick do? He'd cut him or severely reduce his role. Witten just isn't great anymore with about a million miles on the odometer, and that's all there is to it.

But you're right, this franchise will probably let him play as long as he feels like it.
The Patriots would cut Dez and Witten and not blink an eye. And it's smart cap management like that which would allow them to go out and sign some big name free agents. And hell, after Witten finds out that there is no market for himself, Belichick would probably offer to take him back on a cheap deal to be a backup.

I love me some Witten. It's just so frustrating seeing him not capable of running very well anymore. No one will ever question the great career he has had in Dallas. The guy is 36 for gods sake. Most TE's don't ever make it close to that age in the NFL. There is no shame in thinking he isn't a legit #1 TE anymore.

vince

Not So New Member
The Patriots would cut Dez and Witten and not blink an eye. And it's smart cap management like that which would allow them to go out and sign some big name free agents. And hell, after Witten finds out that there is no market for himself, Belichick would probably offer to take him back on a cheap deal to be a backup.

I love me some Witten. It's just so frustrating seeing him not capable of running very well anymore. No one will ever question the great career he has had in Dallas. The guy is 36 for gods sake. Most TE's don't ever make it close to that age in the NFL. There is no shame in thinking he isn't a legit #1 TE anymore.
But they won't sell as many jerseys like the Cowboys!

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If you want to squeeze someone out, let’s start with Dez f’ing Bryant. You remove him from this offense and it instantly gets better. Some of Dak’s issues were a direct correlation to Bryant being in the field.

vince

Not So New Member
If you want to squeeze someone out, let’s start with Dez f’ing Bryant. You remove him from this offense and it instantly gets better. Some of Dak’s issues were a direct correlation to Bryant being in the field.
I hate to admit it but I think you're right. The team was probable able to deal with his sideline antics but it's because he would come in a make plays. Now it's not worth it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with that. And I'd turn around and draft someone. Well unless Sammy Watkins wants to sign here or something. I'd still probably draft someone though.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Retire you balding fuck. Even backup TE's like Philly's Burton are more productive than you.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm all for cutting Witten loose and giving him a chance to pick up a ring with a legitimate contender, the guy deserves it. I was happy for DWare when he got his ring in Denver too. There's been a lot of talent wasted in Dallas over the years and those two stand out among them.

And yeah, Witten is not the same player he was ten years ago but as it's been mentioned, he's 36 fricking years old and not many players are the same as they used to be at that age. Most don't even play that long.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
You'll get no argument from me, he is NOT a #1 receiver. He's not even a competent #2.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
As far as I'm concerned, the roster spot of every single WR and TE should be up for grabs next season. None of them did nearly enough to secure their position with this team going forward.. At least Witten has the excuse of being an aging vet. There's no excuse for the other bums.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As far as I'm concerned, the roster spot of every single WR and TE should be up for grabs next season. None of them did nearly enough to secure their position with this team going forward.. At least Witten has the excuse of being an aging vet. There's no excuse for the other bums.
Yep. But that’s not how Jerry Jones runs this shithole organization. Roster. Is. Set.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Fans tend to overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater, but this front office seems compelled to bathe in their own mess.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Love me some Witten, but he is a dinosaur in todays NFL. Its all about speed and breaking tackles of which Witten does neither. Hell, you can almost bet your left nut if he catches a pass for 9.2 yards, he's going to end at 9.2 yards.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm all for cutting Witten loose and giving him a chance to pick up a ring with a legitimate contender, the guy deserves it. I was happy for DWare when he got his ring in Denver too. There's been a lot of talent wasted in Dallas over the years and those two stand out among them.

And yeah, Witten is not the same player he was ten years ago but as it's been mentioned, he's 36 fricking years old and not many players are the same as they used to be at that age. Most don't even play that long.
You raise a good point. I wonder just how much it chaps Jerry's red ass to see a HOF level player that spent the bulk of his career playing for Dallas only to leave and THEN get a ring while playing for another team. I would love for Witten to be another of that group just for the anger it would give that old fuck Jerry. Sucks that Tony was too broken to do the same. He could have gone to Denver and made some magic I truly believe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love me some Witten, but he is a dinosaur in todays NFL. Its all about speed and breaking tackles of which Witten does neither. Hell, you can almost bet your left nut if he catches a pass for 9.2 yards, he's going to end at 9.2 yards.
He averaged like 1 yard after a catch. Which is literally the distance he probably falls most of the time. You can't survive in the NFL like that. You need guys who can catch the ball on the run and make something happen. You watch the elite NFL TEs and they do it all the time. They are so big and fast no one hardly wants to even tackle them.

Zach Ertz for example has 240 yards after the catch.
Travis Kelce has 439 yards after the catch.
Rob Gronkowski has 363 yards after the catch.

Jason Witten has a total of 100 yards after the catch. Talk about some hidden yardage. Hell both Cameron Brate and OJ Howard have more yards after the catch than Witten. And neither of them has even close to the number of catches that Witten had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom