Jason Garrett has to go!

vince

Not So New Member
It makes perfect sense to me and it also happens to be the exact same logic I used to explain to my wife why I don't view my other sports teams with the same negativity.

I tell her that it's not about the team being bad, it's about how they are intentionally putting a cap on themselves on how much success they can have.

That's a whole lot different than a team just not being able to right the ship or find its way. I'll stick it out with a loser so long as they are actually trying to get better like you said. But when a team is basically asking its fans to support it completely but then turning around and essentially telling us "we absolutely could give you better, but we don't want to"....well, that's when you've lost me.
So with this post, are you officially resigning as a Cowboys fan?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I can never give up my fandom. I didn’t even do that during the CFR days. What I did back then was ridiculed as being the acts of a fake fan. Quite the opposite. I wanted so badly for the team to win that I was willing to turn my back on them to a degree. I still felt that way. I just don’t have the energy to go through that shit again. I will continue to root for them and at the same time wish for Jerry’s death and Garrett’s departure. It will happen eventually. It’s just a matter of outlasting them both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can never give up my fandom. I didn’t even do that during the CFR days. What I did back then was ridiculed as being the acts of a fake fan. Quite the opposite. I wanted so badly for the team to win that I was willing to turn my back on them to a degree. I still felt that way. I just don’t have the energy to go through that shit again. I will continue to root for them and at the same time wish for Jerry’s death and Garrett’s departure. It will happen eventually. It’s just a matter of outlasting them both.
Yeah my hope for now is that Garrett either is fired or decides to step down. The odds of either are very slim right now but eventually it will happen. I just hope we don't waste the talent on this roster in the mean time. This defense actually has some really good young talent.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I've said in the past that even with the lack of postseason success, part of me wishes I were a fan of another team like the Chargers or Bears. My logic is this. Say we were all fans of the San Diego Chargers. The Chargers have never won anything but at least from year to year as a fan of the team you can buy into the idea that they are moving in the right direction.

If the team performs poorly there's actual accountability in place. A new GM and/or Head Coach is brought in to at least try to get things right. They don't just stick with the same garbage just because they are comfortable with the relationship.

For me even if the postseason success isn't there I would enjoy the product a hell of a lot more and be more interested if I knew ownership was all in on winning and trying to push the right buttons. Whereas in Dallas Jerry just sits back on his ass, feeding us the same shit sandwich year after year.
I remember a few years ago, some local radio show did an interview with a big group of Dallas-area fans who decided to quit this team and find another one. They settled on the Chiefs. At the time the Chiefs were terrible, but they said at least with that franchise they knew ownership would eventually make changes to correct things, which would never happen here.

I think that was in 2013. The very next year we had the 12-4 season, and I remember wondering if those guys regretted changing teams. But just like they said, not long after that they hired Reid and got things turned around. Here it will never happen barring a total multi-year collapse.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well with Jerry officially calling Garrett safe for 2018, I’m guessing Linehan is headed to the woodshed.

data

Forbes #1
Well with Jerry officially calling Garrett safe for 2018, I’m guessing Linehan is headed to the woodshed.
Is there a point to it, though?

I'm assuming we'd hire a no-name or retread that would have to adopt the current scheme anyway.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
And he has the unmitigated gall to say to the press that he's so disappointed for the fans. It's insulting to our collective intelligence. He could care less.
He sounded pretty disappointed himself. He does care quite a bit. I just think he really likes and believes in Garrett. I'm sure if he met Garrett and knew him, we might feel differently as well. He seems like a positive, motivational guy. He's just not good at Xs and Os, game planing, making adjustments in-game. That has been proven.

Garrett is one year removed from coach of the year so it would be a funny time to remove him from a national perspective. I think the fans, though, know he's just not top tier and never will be. He's had enough time to make this team his own and has still failed to have success with a very talented roster.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And if Garrett insists on the next guy having to work with his outdated playbook like he did Linehan nothing will change

lostxn

DCC 4Life
And if Garrett insists on the next guy having to work with his outdated playbook like he did Linehan nothing will change

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So with this post, are you officially resigning as a Cowboys fan?
No, but it could happen.

I was raised in to this. My dad and uncle have been Cowboy fans since the mid-seventies so when I was born they were already die-hard fans who had seen the Cowboys win a Super Bowl.

I'm sure the guys here who I am Facebook friends with have even seen pics of me wearing my little Tony D Hutch kids Cowboys uniform when I was a little kid way back in 1984.

My point is, I have roots planted in this that go very deep.

So if somebody wants to question my fandom then so be it. I won't lose any sleep at night over it. But I know how far back my love for this team goes and how the great moments in team history mean more to me than just sports. Some of the very best memories and moments of my entire life were spent in the 90s as a young adolescent spending my Sundays with the two most important men in my life watching that dynasty unfold.

Whether I was waking up early to start an all-day extravaganza of football at home, or heading to Texas stadium with them both to witness some of the greatest games in team history together, the Dallas Cowboys are responsible are some of the most cherished moments of my life.

But this just isn't fun anymore for me. And even when things are going pretty well like they did last year or 2014, it still doesn't mean to me what it used to. The good doesn't come anywhere close to outweighing the bad. And being as both my father and uncle have grown empathetic and disinterested to the Cowboys situation as well, that makes for a scenario where I am even less inclined to be bothered by this.

Heartbreaking losses and terrible seasons suck to have to go through, but that's what you do as a fan. Those things I can suffer through. But what I will not stand for, not any longer at least, is to watch that team fail to get better on purpose while the owner and his family and insult our intelligence as fans and basically tell us to go screw ourselves.

No way.

So if they continue on this way for the next several years and here I am going on multiple seasons of not watching or paying attention to the Cowboys at all, then it's only human nature that I'm just not going to care anymore. I'll grow disinterested and get to a point where eventually I'm not even the slightest bit interested..... Like an old pastime that doesn't concern you at all any longer.

Like I said, it's human nature to become completely withdrawn from something once you're no longer active in it for an extended period of time.

So am I completely resigning today? No.

But in two or three years, it's a great possibility.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Show some respect. None of you jokers ever went to Princeton.
I lived near Princeton when he and his brothers went there. I got so sick of the local papers sucking them off, it was almost like a portent of things to come. I think Judd and John had a cup of coffee in Dallas/The NFL as well.

Shit, I completely forgot that Judd is the director of pro scouting for Dallas. Wikipedia had to tell me. JFC, it's taken two families to fvck the Cowboys up, the Joneses and Garretts.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Is there a point to it, though?

I'm assuming we'd hire a no-name or retread that would have to adopt the current scheme anyway.
I've said this many many times already, but the only decent chance of the Cowboys having any success while Garrett is still here is for them to bring in a good offensive mind but also giving him complete autonomy and allowing him to basically do any and everything he wants with his offense.

It doesn't matter who the coordinator is if the system is still going to have Garrett's influence and fingerprints all over it.

If you bring in a really good offensive coordinator and a very good defensive coordinator and let them operate as they see fit, then you might have a chance to win in spite of Garrett.

But if all we are doing is swapping out chairs on the Titanic, then it's just going to be more of the same.

Landry

DCC 4Life
I lived near Princeton when he and his brothers went there. I got so sick of the local papers sucking them off, it was almost like a portent of things to come. I think Judd and John had a cup of coffee in Dallas/The NFL as well.

Shit, I completely forgot that Judd is the director of pro scouting for Dallas. Wikipedia had to tell me. JFC, it's taken two families to fvck the Cowboys up, the Joneses and Garretts.
I think Jerry really wants to win, he just doesn't know how. He gets to attached to players and coaches and won't make the tough decisions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's time to get with this century. I don't want any more of these old ass retreads. Go get a young innovative guy who has the ability to be forward thinking. I'm so sick of trying to copycat what better teams are doing or running a 1990's play book.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Jerry really wants to win, he just doesn't know how. He gets to attached to players and coaches and won't make the tough decisions.
That's the problem. Everyone is Jerry's best friend and Jerry has no idea how to break their hearts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am way over the "Jerry wants to win" thing. I used to think he just didn't know how, but not any more.

His continued insistence on keeping a loser like Garrett employed tells me that he not only doesn't know, he doesn't care either. No owner would tolerate that kind of sustained mediocrity.

He wants to win alright. But only on his terms.

He is not willing to go all out to make it happen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I am way over the "Jerry wants to win" thing. I used to think he just didn't know how, but not any more.

His continued insistence on keeping a loser like Garrett employed tells me that he not only doesn't know, he doesn't care either. No owner would tolerate that kind of sustained mediocrity.

Only one way to make Jerry do something you want him to do.

Landry

DCC 4Life

Unfortunately I don't see it changing with Goof Son.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No offense, but that is one of the dumbest excuses I've heard about Jerry over the years.

He doesn't know how to win? Bullshit.

Do you really believe that he's completely oblivious as to why his team doesn't win big? Do you really think that he's been fielding questions about why he is still the general manager despite their mediocre record over the last 20 years and not have a clue as to why people keep asking him those questions?

When he defiantly and arrogantly says that he's not removing himself in any capacity from the football side of things, do you think he's doing so for any other reason than to feed his own ego? And if he's feeding his ego, what does that suggest? That he is fully aware that he's not doing things the way other teams do but yet he's out to prove to you that he doesn't have to because he'll eventually get it right.

And do you think it's a coincidence that he hired Bill Parcells at a time when he knew he had no choice but to try and rebuild the franchise?

How does someone who has no idea what it takes to win in the NFL do all of those things?

Give me a break.

He knows exactly who the truly good head coaches are and what the formula is for succeeding in the NFL is, but going down either of those paths means that he would not be part of the equation and there is no way that so long as he lives will he allow for the Cowboys to be successful and him not get any credit whatsoever for it.

That is why Jason Garrett is your head coach and why the Dallas Cowboys are have been one of the more mediocre franchises in all of sports going on 22 years.

Top Bottom