boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: "I Feel Good About Our Head Coach" Despite Disappointing Loss
Sunday, December 24, 2017 8:26 PM CST

By David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@HelmanDC

ARLINGTON, Texas – Given the way the Cowboys’ playoff hopes were dashed on Christmas Eve, team owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he understood fans’ frustration.

Having watched his team refrain from handing the ball to Ezekiel Elliott inside the Seattle 5-yard line late in the fourth quarter, Jones sounded as confused as anyone else.

“I think that, on hindsight, we all wish that we’d have tried Zeke in there,” Jones said.

Despite that confusion, Jones didn’t let the emotions of the moment get the better of him. Asked several times about his faith in the Cowboys’ coaching staff, Jones gave a vote of confidence to head coach Jason Garrett.

“Just so we’re clear about this, I do understand the frustration right after you lose a game that has as much meaningfulness as this ball game,” he said. “But I get to look at a lot of different things and have been around a lot of good head coaches and coordinators. So I feel good about our head coach.”

The Cowboys still have a chance to finish with a winning record next weekend in Philadelphia, but their goal of a return trip to the playoffs has now faded. This loss to Seattle means the Cowboys have not made back-to-back trips to the postseason since 2006-07. It also means that Garrett has reached the playoffs just twice in his seven seasons as the team’s head coach.

“We played a team that has got a good chance to be in the playoffs out there, and we’ll have a lot of time to think about it when that’s not us in there,” Jones said. “Believe you me, we’ll be second-guessing some play calls, for sure.”

However frustrated he might have been, though, Jones said he saw the positive in the Cowboys’ current situation. Although it was a losing effort, Dak Prescott reached the 3,000-yard milestone for the second-straight season to open his career.

With all of that in mind, it was optimism that Jones opted to focus on – even in acknowledging the disappointing nature of the Cowboys’ finish.

“I’m excited about our future with Dak at quarterback. I’m extremely excited about our future,” he said. “There’s no qualms, no issue if you’re talking about any place else relative to anything to do with the coaching – within certain boundaries, but specifically at the top. We’ve just got to get it done better."

---------

:budd

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Translation: My palace was full of suckers all eight games, so I'm good. But Linehan might want to find a realtor.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
He might actually mean it but that is the standard company line, in-season. I say there's still a shot he gets fired. It's my goddamn Christmas miracle.

midswat

... soon
“There’s no qualms, no issue if you’re talking about any place else relative to anything to do with the coaching – within certain boundaries, but specifically at the top. We’ve just got to get it done better."
I don't know what he's trying to say here.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'd be optimistic if we fired Garrett.
I'd be optimistic if we fired Garrett, the entire Jones clan disappeared while on a private jet, someone that doesn't stick their nose in football matters took over the team and the new leadership managed to coax Belichick down to Arlington.

I won't be holding my breath though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is something to be said for continuity amongst the coaching staff, you don't want to just get rid of guys too hastily and constantly cycle through new coaches because that's going to have a severe negative impact on drafting/scouting/talent acquisition, etc.

But we're way past that point with Garrett, it's not like he's been here 2-3 years, this guy has been dicking around for the better part of a decade as the HC, and a full decade with the organization in total.

I'd be surprised if there is any HC in NFL history who has won a Super Bowl after being with a team for as long as Garrett has been here, with as little success as he's had.

1 playoff win in 7 years, 0 conference title appearances, what Super Bowl-winning HC has ever existed with a track record like that?

None I'm sure.

midswat

... soon
I'm starting to believe that Jerry just doesn't give a shit about winning another Super Bowl. I think he's just content raking in money. He's already in the HOF, he already won executive of the year, he already has three trophies. He just doesn't care.

I would love it if Pederson (highly unlikely), or McVeigh, or the Jacksonville head coach or if there are any other newbie head coaches in the playoffs - if they would win it all. Just to throw it in the face of Jerry - if Garrett had the ability, we would've seen it by now. A lot of coaches have come in under far less than ideal situations that Garrett has, and has accomplished far more than Garrett has. Keeping the status quo indicates a total lack of giving a shit by our ownership.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He might actually mean it but that is the standard company line, in-season. I say there's still a shot he gets fired. It's my goddamn Christmas miracle.
Whatever chance we had of that happening went out the window when we beat the Redskins and then the Giants.

Losing to those two teams or maybe even one of them would have put the team at rock-bottom and maybe something would have come of it.

But winning those two games guaranteed Garrett's return.

We are stuck with him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There is something to be said for continuity amongst the coaching staff, you don't want to just get rid of guys too hastily and constantly cycle through new coaches because that's going to have a severe negative impact on drafting/scouting/talent acquisition, etc.

But we're way past that point with Garrett, it's not like he's been here 2-3 years, this guy has been dicking around for the better part of a decade as the HC, and a full decade with the organization in total.

I'd be surprised if there is any HC in NFL history who has won a Super Bowl after being with a team for as long as Garrett has been here, with as little success as he's had.

1 playoff win in 7 years, 0 conference title appearances, what Super Bowl-winning HC has ever existed with a track record like that?

None I'm sure.
I think Marvin Lewis is his piss poor, no postseason results coaching contemporary.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm starting to believe that Jerry just doesn't give a shit about winning another Super Bowl. I think he's just content raking in money. He's already in the HOF, he already won executive of the year, he already has three trophies. He just doesn't care.

I would love it if Pederson (highly unlikely), or McVeigh, or the Jacksonville head coach or if there are any other newbie head coaches in the playoffs - if they would win it all. Just to throw it in the face of Jerry - if Garrett had the ability, we would've seen it by now. A lot of coaches have come in under far less than ideal situations that Garrett has, and has accomplished far more than Garrett has. Keeping the status quo indicates a total lack of giving a shit by our ownership.
I don't see how anybody could argue against this.

There was a time when the Dallas Cowboys were his baby but now they have been replaced by the stadium. He is far more interested in concerned with making money and helping to make his stadium the crown jewel site for entertainment.

That's the reason why Stephen gets more say-so in organizational matters, not because he's mellowed out like some people think. No, the reason he's let go of a lot of the control is because it is no longer his primary interest.

As a result, winning means even less to him that it did before. Whereas before I do think he really wanted to win just not bad enough to the point where he would remove himself from the equation, now I think winning means even less so long as he's making money.

That's why I haven't bought anything Cowboy related or been to a game in years. Yes, I know that the little bit of money that would come out of my pocket probably means less than pennies to a guy like that. But for me it's the sheer principle of the matter.

I'm not going to let him or that organization continue to give me the middle finger but then turn around and support it in any way just because of some sort of "Well, what else are we gonna do?" sort of logic.

But now it's at a point where it's not about the money anymore. Being a Cowboys fan just isn't fun.....at all. There's been a few decent moments sprinkled in over the last 17 years but most of it has just been shit. But now I'm looking at a team that is incapable of winning with the staff that it has assembled and the ownership telling us straight up that they're not going to do anything about it.

So yeah, I could just deal with it and hope for some miracle that defies logic which results in us finally winning a Superbowl. But you know what? That's exactly what I've been doing for the better part of 17 years now and I don't want to do it anymore.

I'm not emotional, I'm not mad, nor do I feel any other sort of negative emotion.... I simply don't enjoy this that much anymore and I am struggling to see the logic in supporting this product in its current state.

So again I say, if nothing changes with this team then I will not be watching Dallas Cowboys football next year or any year after that. Wake me up when and if this organization changes the way it conducts business.

If that makes me a fake fan then so be it.... I don't give a shit.

I'd rather be a fake fan than a stupid one.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think Marvin Lewis is his piss poor, no postseason results coaching contemporary.
And even he managed to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

midswat

... soon
That's why I haven't bought anything Cowboy related or been to a game in years. Yes, I know that the little bit of money that would come out of my pocket probably means less than pennies to a guy like that. But for me it's the sheer principle of the matter.

I'm not going to let him or that organization continue to give me the middle finger but then turn around and support it in any way just because of some sort of "Well, what else are we gonna do?" sort of logic.

But now it's at a point where it's not about the money anymore. Being a Cowboys fan just isn't fun.....at all. There's been a few decent moments sprinkled in over the last 17 years but most of it has just been shit. But now I'm looking at a team that is incapable of winning with the staff that it has assembled and the ownership telling us straight up that they're not going to do anything about it.

So yeah, I could just deal with it and hope for some miracle that defies logic which results in us finally winning a Superbowl. But you know what? That's exactly what I've been doing for the better part of 17 years now and I don't want to do it anymore.

I'm not emotional, I'm not mad, nor do I feel any other sort of negative emotion.... I simply don't enjoy this that much anymore and I am struggling to see the logic in supporting this product in its current state.

So again I say, if nothing changes with this team then I will not be watching Dallas Cowboys football next year or any year after that. Wake me up when and if this organization changes the way it conducts business.

If that makes me a fake fan then so be it.... I don't give a shit.

I'd rather be a fake fan than a stupid one.
Basically my line of thinking completely. Haven't bought anything Cowboys related in years. I've missed a lot of games whereas previously I'd schedule life events around Cowboys football. While sometimes I get into games, I don't get upset at losses or even excited with wins. Honestly I find comedic value in losses.

My attention has been turned to college ball, and my college team is struggling but at least this offseason they made sweeping changes I can be optimistic about. The cowboys its just always the same old same old.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

I've thought pretty much the same thing for awhile now. His entire life has been about making money and satisfying his own ego, that's never changed. Now that he's getting up there, he's happy to just keep raking in the $$$ and leaving his "legacy" to his idiot children. Based on how fat the goof son has gotten, I doubt he's hurting for anything.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Like any CEO Jones’ public message has to be relentlessly positive. Even stupidly so. Of course Jerral has no problem with that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Any fan of a team is always disappointed with missing the dance. It’s perfectly normal. Sometimes I think I m really glad I am not a Cleveland Browns fan. Their misery is bound to be really bad or they are galvanized by now. I will remain a Cowboys fan. I will continue to watch and hope tegardless of ownerships failings of placing the management and coaching staff ahead of the best results of the team. I won’t like it and I will complain but I will still be a fan. It’s somewhat like a marriage to me I guess. The Cowboys are my team and we are married for better or worse.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep, I think the boycott is back on.

Top Bottom