User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowboys are very open about free agency approach, but that doesn't mean it's right strategy year in and year out

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Because we just love some Dead Money on the cap. I think their only intention this off-season is to sign Martin. I'm guessing this is about that and with having to use the tag on Lawrence they have to do this. Just my guess as I don't really know the numbers.
    And I don't understand all the numbers either, but thought that they would be able to franchise Lawrence and sign Martin without freeing up anything.

Read an article in Sporting News today about Jerry and our cap situation.
    Just like a lot of fans, they couldn't figure out how Jerry gets in the HOF when he can't even financially manage his own team. That the Cowboys are in salary cap hell year after year. 18 mil. in dead money, and the second least amount of cap space (2 mil). Of course Romo's 6/108 contract being the biggest cause. Other teams moving forward while we have our hands tied and can't keep up.
    I know the Jets are the "Jets" but damn, they are 72 mil (I read yesterday) under. Really?
    When was the last time we had plenty of cap room (and used it well)?
    Will they ever figure this out and do it right?

Cowboys have developed a lot of young talent in the 2010’s, tying up a lot of money The last bad FA contract was Carr in 2012. The current bad contract is Crawford’s.

They have dead money on Romo but little money in Dak to compensate. Dallas has used up its cap space on home-grown talent. If they didn’t develop the talent in house, then you’d see free agents brought in out of need.

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    I think the only really bad contract was Crawford’s. Carr’s was the previous bad one. But I think the Williams and Smith deals make up for Crawford.

The Dez contract was what he was due, and no one complained about it at the time. Romo’s was not a great deal but QBs have all the power in negotiations and in hindsight the team has again made up for it with Dak’s tiny contract.
    For all these great contracts, they sure are snug against the cap every year for a pretty average team.

Quote Originally Posted by junk View Post
    For all these great contracts, they sure are snug against the cap every year for a pretty average team.
    Yep. They are average because their leadership and coaching is bad.

Traditionally, we can not win the big games against tough competition.

Since 1996 we've had 1 quality playoff win (Detroit in 2014) vs. tough competition. In our best years (2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016) we rode easy schedules and maybe had a handful of quality wins vs tough competition (Carolina midseason 2003, New Orleans 2009, Seattle 2014, Pittsburgh 2016) and even those required superhuman performances from Demarcus Ware, Tony Romo and Zeke Elliott.

In all that time, our best shot at the Superbowl might have been the fumbled snap in Seattle.

Granted all teams ride easy schedules and yes, talented players win football games.

But fuck it would be nice if coaching gave them a hand once in a while.