Archer: Comparisons between Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson come with wins

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak sure looked like an elite passer last year.

I don't know what has happened.

Perhaps DCs have figured him out and are making him make throws he doesn't like or can't.
The play action pass is what made that.

No Elliott has just illustrated how he is not the fastest guy making reads on the fly.

I know it is all fun to blame it all on Chaz Green, but the guy is not sticking big throws. He is making the safe ones.

That is okay if you have a very good D and a favorable schedule.

He has faced more winning teams that he did last year and it shows.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Adding speed to the offense needs to be a priority this offseason.

I know a lot of fans will be pissed at this idea, but Witten needs to be pushed to the side as well starting next season. I wouldn't outright cut him, but I'd certainly reduce his role significantly. Either by promoting one of the younger TEs currently on the roster or bringing in a fresh face in the offseason.

We're doing ourselves a disservice by allowing that over-the-hill plodder to handcuff our ability to create big plays on offense. I thought I heard/read last week that he's last in the NFL among TEs in yards after catch.

It's time.
Nope.

That guy is about as much in the family portrait as Garrett. He will dictate his terms. And knowing his redneck ass, he won't quit nor allow himself to be minimized by anyone.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dak sure looked like an elite passer last year.

I don't know what has happened.

Perhaps DCs have figured him out and are making him make throws he doesn't like or can't.
That's part of it. They other part is our lazy coaching staff has put together one of the most predictable passing schemes that I've seen in recent years.

That could be due to the limitations of our WRs.

Everyone knows Beasley pretty much only runs those quick in/out routes.....don'tt have to worry about him getting behind you or running a comeback/curl.

Dez is pretty much a jump ball, slant, go route WR.

As crazy as it may sound, I think Terrence Williams is actually our most well-rounded WR in terms of the routes he's able to run. He's just unreliable as hell.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
That's part of it. They other part is our lazy coaching staff has put together one of the most predictable passing schemes that I've seen in recent years.

That could be due to the limitations of our WRs.

Everyone knows Beasley pretty much only runs those quick in/out routes.....don'tt have to worry about him getting behind you or running a comeback/curl.

Dez is pretty much a jump ball, slant, go route WR.

As crazy as it may sound, I think Terrence Williams is actually or most well rounded WRs in terms of the routes he's able to run. He's just unreliable as hell.
That one tweet was funny about Williams.

Something like, Prescott with an AWFUL throw. He has to throw that where Williams can catch it with his body. Then they show that bomb hitting him right in the hands.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Nope.

That guy is about as much in the family portrait as Garrett. He will dictate his terms. And knowing his redneck ass, he won't quit nor allow himself to be minimized by anyone.
A guy can dream.

And it's not that I'm down on Witten. I'm just stating the obvious. We all see it, but as you mentioned, they probably won't make the right move because of what he's meant to this franchise for 15 years.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Adding speed to the offense needs to be a priority this offseason.

I know a lot of fans will be pissed at this idea, but Witten needs to be pushed to the side as well starting next season. I wouldn't outright cut him, but I'd certainly reduce his role significantly. Either by promoting one of the younger TEs currently on the roster or bringing in a fresh face in the offseason.

We're doing ourselves a disservice by allowing that over-the-hill plodder to handcuff our ability to create big plays on offense. I thought I heard/read last week that he's last in the NFL among TEs in yards after catch.

It's time.
Is Witten the problem or is it the QB? It's not like Witten was this super athletic guy who has now lost a step or two.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's actually a really solid comparison but he's more similar to a young Steve McNair.

Steve McNair from 2003 onward really became one of the best passers in football. He was a very very good QB in the last years of his prime.
Not to mention Air’s 71 yard TD runs to win games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is Witten the problem or is it the QB? It's not like Witten was this super athletic guy who has now lost a step or two.
Witten is part of the problem but so is the staff's absolute reluctance to consider the fact he has lost a step.

They don't take him off the field on third downs, even when they have his old ass split wide where he rarely can beat his guy.

Or even worse, round off his route short of the first down and he doesn't have the RAC ability to convert.

I know he is a legend, the new Mr. Cowboy etc., but they have to make that tough call and tell him he is sitting.

I don't think Garrett has it in him. Nor do I actually think he believes that Witten is a shadow of his former self.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dak is probably going to top out as Alex Smith. He is risk averse and would rather not push the ball down field unless it is super safe. He has enough arm but won't wow you. He can win with a good team around him, but a bad team or bad coaching will derail him.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm going to say it's mostly Witten. He's 15 years in FCS.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just think they are still trying to run an offense that isn't optimized for Prescott. I don't think it ever will be.

It requires a higher degree of accuracy than Prescott is capable of delivering.

They continue to have aspects of the Romo offense that Prescott can't execute. Like the Bryant fade.

I know it won't happen, but they need to tear down the offense and start over with Prescott in mind, at least in terms of what he can do as a passer.

If they don't, they will always need an elite runner.
Yes.

Even if Prescott wasn't the QB, I would still want this stale and outdated offense to be completely scrapped.

It was simplistic and predictable even with Romo at quarterback, so it's obviously going to have even more flaws when you have a guy who is as limited a passer as Prescott is.

I think that if there is any chance we are ever going to accomplish anything great, with Garrett still being the head coach, it's going to have to happen when we hire an offensive coordinator who actually knows what he's doing but is also given complete autonomy to do whatever the hell he wants.

I've made this point many many times on here before, but it's hard to truly judge Linehan when it's obvious to anyone who has paid attention that we still have so many of the same tendencies and concepts from the offense we were running even before he arrived. That leads me to believe that Garrett made it a point to tell him not to scrap the offense and that he still largely wanted him to coach within the scope of what we were already doing.

We also could use a good defensive coordinator as well, but that's another argument altogether.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's Witten. He literally has the lowest average YAC among TEs in the NFL. When a slow guy just gets slower this is what you get. It limits your offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When did Witten ever dominate in YAC? Oh yeah, never.

But he’s the reason the offense has now gone to shit.

Forget the defenses having figured Dak out or the absence of a dynamic rushing threat or the loss of a stout stud at LG or that in general the OL isn’t as All-Time-All-Universe as it was in 2016.

You sound like the RG3 apologists by the end of 2013. Dak has a long way to go, and Jason Garrett clearly isn’t the coach to shepherd him into the future either.

Sure Witten’s lost the fantastic separation he created routinely in 2007, but that’s not at all why the offense can’t go.

No one fears the QB or RB. At all.

kidd

DCC 4Life
When did Witten ever dominate in YAC? Oh yeah, never.

But he’s the reason the offense has now gone to shit.

Forget the defenses having figured Dak out or the absence of a dynamic rushing threat or the loss of a stout stud at LG or that in general the OL isn’t as All-Time-All-Universe as it was in 2016.

You sound like the RG3 apologists by the end of 2013. Dak has a long way to go, and Jason Garrett clearly isn’t the coach to shepherd him into the future either.

Sure Witten’s lost the fantastic separation he created routinely in 2007, but that’s not at all why the offense can’t go.

No one fears the QB or RB. At all.
:tippytoe

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dominate? No, but the worst in the entire NFL no. And the dropping YAC is an indication of how much his game has fallen off.
Everyone gets that.

But he’s not why the offense sucks. Great passers make the players around them better. Dak isn’t there yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Everyone gets that.

But he’s not why the offense sucks. Great passers make the players around them better. Dak isn’t there yet.
How many QB's in their second year have been there?

There are a multitude of reasons for the offensive struggles this year, many of which you already listed, but the overall lack of speed/explosiveness out of the WR's/TE's is right at the top of the list. When you combine Witten's age, Dez's decline, Beasley basically being a glorified TE who only operates within 10 yards of the LOS, and the coaching staff's inability to scheme easy throws for Dak you have a pretty major problem.

Getting away from the more systemic problems and focusing more on Dak, I think it's clear that he struggles with top defenses when the game is put on his shoulders. He can carry the team against average, maybe above average and worse defenses, but against top-tier defenses he struggles if the running game is shut down. That is where he will have to improve moving forward.

He basically carried the team at Arizona and against the Packers/Rams are home without much help from Elliott, as well as at the Giants. Elliott was poor to start the year and there wasn't much support from the running game in New York, and it was mostly Dak who carried the offense in all of those games. If the defense could've held their water for 2 minutes against Green Bay we'd be 3-1 in those games with the only loss coming to one of the hotter teams in the league.

Top Bottom