Archer: Comparisons between Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson come with wins

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Comparisons between Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson come with wins
7:53 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett kept going on and on about the quarterback on Thursday.

“He’s obviously a great leader. His teammates respond to him. He has an incredible ability to make plays with his feet, with his arm,” Garrett said. “He plays great in critical moments of the game and he’s one of those rare guys, his feel and instinct for the game are really second to none. His athleticism at that position really challenges you every time the ball is snapped.”

Garrett wasn’t talking about his quarterback, Dak Prescott, although those comments ring true. He was talking about the quarterback he will see on the other side of the AT&T Stadium field on Sunday -- Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.

There are similarities between Prescott and Wilson beyond style of play.

Both were multi-year starters at schools in big conferences but without big-time expectations. Prescott took Mississippi State to the No. 1 ranking in the country in 2014. Wilson led N.C. State to bowl wins in 2008 and 2010 before transferring his senior season to Wisconsin, where he led the Badgers to a win in the first Big Ten championship game.

Despite gaudy collegiate numbers, neither player generated first-round NFL interest. Prescott was knocked for inaccuracy and the scheme he played. The Cowboys did not take him until the 135th overall pick. Wilson was knocked for his lack of height, and he was not selected until the third round. No. 75 overall.

Both players were drafted with the idea of serving as backups as a rookie. Tony Romo's compression fracture in 2014 led to Prescott moving into the starting lineup and he responded with one of the best seasons in NFL history for a rookie quarterback as the Cowboys finished 13-3. The Seahawks signed Matt Flynn in free agency before drafting Wilson but he outplayed Flynn in the preseason and won the job. The Seahawks went 11-5 and made it to the divisional round of the playoffs, just like Prescott in 2016 with the Cowboys.

“Russell is a guy that, I mean, I watched before I was even in this league and tried to model his game, the way he plays it, his elusiveness, taking care of the ball and just being smart,” Prescott said. “He’s a great player and I definitely watch his game and try to take things that he does.”

As a rookie, Wilson was protected to a degree by a running game led by Marshawn Lynch and a suffocating defense. Prescott had the league’s leading rusher in Ezekiel Elliott last year and directed an offense that helped protect a defense that finished fifth in the NFL in points allowed.

As the years have gone on, Wilson has been asked to carry more of a burden with the Seahawks offense. This season he has accounted for 97 percent of the Seahawks' offensive touchdowns (33 of 34), the highest percentage of any player in NFL history. He leads the Seahawks in rushing yards (521) and would be the fifth quarterback since the 1970 merger to lead his team in rushing. He’s also the first player in NFL history with multiple seasons of at least 30 touchdown passes and 500 yards rushing.

The Cowboys have had to put more on Prescott this season with Elliott’s absence due to a suspension. He has 21 touchdown passes, 11 interceptions and six rushing touchdowns. At times he has had to mimic Wilson’s ability to buy time in the passing game.

“I just think he’s a great player,” Garrett said of Wilson. “A lot of people are talking about this year. I think he’s been a great player since he’s come into the league. You see him do so many things that help their team win.”

Through their first 30 NFL games, the two quarterbacks' statistics are remarkably similar:

Wilson posted a 23-7 record. Prescott is 21-9.

Wilson had 50 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions. Prescott has 44 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions. Wilson completed 64.4 percent of his passes. Prescott has completed 65.6 percent. Wilson had a Total QBR of 73.5. Prescott has a Total QBR of 72.9.

Prescott took over the Cowboys’ starting job against Wilson with Romo suffering the injury in the preseason game at Seattle two summers ago. There was nothing on the line that day for both teams.

On Sunday, the loser of the game will be eliminated from the playoffs.

According to Elias, Wilson is looking to make his sixth straight playoff appearance, which would match Otto Graham as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to open their careers with that many consecutive trips to the playoffs. Prescott is looking to make his second straight trip to the playoffs and help the Cowboys to their first back-to-back playoff appearances since 2006-07.

In order to get back there, Prescott might have to do his best Wilson impersonation at times Sunday.

“He does a lot of things I think only Russell Wilson can do, so I’m not trying to take everything from his game,” Prescott said, “but there are little pieces, definitely.”

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Russell Wilson was and is a better passer of the ball than Dak is.

I would love for Dak to be Wilson, but he's got a lot of work to do as a passer to reach that level.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Russell Wilson was and is a better passer of the ball than Dak is.

I would love for Dak to be Wilson, but he's got a lot of work to do as a passer to reach that level.
Wilson is a lot quicker both in the pocket and as a passer. Dak is a more powerful runner and probably more durable.

kidd

DCC 4Life
To me, Dak is more of a Steve McNair type player.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To me, Dak is more of a Steve McNair type player.
That's actually a really solid comparison but he's more similar to a young Steve McNair.

Steve McNair from 2003 onward really became one of the best passers in football. He was a very very good QB in the last years of his prime.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think Dak passes as well as Wilson except for those What the Hell passes this year.

Wilson has always been my best Dak comparison, at least when they let him run a little.

kidd

DCC 4Life
That's actually a really solid comparison but he's more similar to a young Steve McNair.

Steve McNair from 2003 onward really became one of the best passers in football. He was a very very good QB in the last years of his prime.
Let's hope Dak follows suit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wilson is taking his team on his shoulders and always has. He is basically their offense.

Prescott? Not so much.

Besides the color tone of their skin and the fact both can run, I don't see a lot that it all that similar.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilson is taking his team on his shoulders and always has. He is basically their offense.

Prescott? Not so much.

Besides the color tone of their skin and the fact both can run, I don't see a lot that it all that similar.
Dak is more like what Wilson was as a rookie. But Wilson has evolved into an excellent QB capable of carrying his team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak is more like what Wilson was as a rookie. But Wilson has evolved into an excellent QB capable of carrying his team.
I don't even know Prescott has got to that level.

Last year was magic but he had Elliott. What he has shown minus Elliott has been alarming at times.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Last year was magic but he had Elliott. What he has shown minus Elliott has been alarming at times.
Russell used to have a great Oline and running game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

It’s only his second year. How about we not put nails in his career’s coffin just yet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Russell used to have a great Oline and running game.
He had a run game. The difference between what he had as an OL and what Prescott has had is embarrassing. I don't know what Seahawk OL you have been watching over his career but it certainly never had three Pro Bowlers on it at any given time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It’s only his second year. How about we not put nails in his career’s coffin just yet.
Nobody is. He quite simply has been average at best without Elliott.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody is. He quite simply has been average at best without Elliott.
Yeah although I think our coaching and play calling get badly exposed without Zeke. We have no other real play makers on offense and our coaches aren't capable of scheming the team up to get past that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah although I think our coaching and play calling get badly exposed without Zeke. We have no other real play makers on offense and our coaches aren't capable of scheming the team up to get past that.
I just think they are still trying to run an offense that isn't optimized for Prescott. I don't think it ever will be.

It requires a higher degree of accuracy than Prescott is capable of delivering.

They continue to have aspects of the Romo offense that Prescott can't execute. Like the Bryant fade.

I know it won't happen, but they need to tear down the offense and start over with Prescott in mind, at least in terms of what he can do as a passer.

If they don't, they will always need an elite runner.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Prescott? Not so much.

There really isn't a lot of similarities in their style of play. Wilson tends to hold the ball longer and pushes the ball down the field more often. He's proven to be more adapt at creating plays on his own. Largely out of necessity.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There really isn't a lot of similarities in their style of play. Wilson tends to hold the ball longer and pushes the ball down the field more often. He's proven to be more adapt at creating plays on his own. Largely out of necessity.
Wilson does a lot of things he does due to his nature.

I have a tough time describing Prescott's style of play. I do know for a fact, he is not a passing QB nor does he have a lot of hope for developing into one.

Wilson scrambles and makes plays, that is what he does. Prescott either doesn't or is coached out of doing things like that, even though he appears to be capable.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Dak sure looked like an elite passer last year.

I don't know what has happened.

Perhaps DCs have figured him out and are making him make throws he doesn't like or can't.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Adding speed to the offense needs to be a priority this offseason.

I know a lot of fans will be pissed at this idea, but Witten needs to be pushed to the side as well starting next season. I wouldn't outright cut him, but I'd certainly reduce his role significantly. Either by promoting one of the younger TEs currently on the roster or bringing in a fresh face in the offseason.

We're doing ourselves a disservice by allowing that over-the-hill plodder to handcuff our ability to create big plays on offense. I thought I heard/read last week that he's last in the NFL among TEs in yards after catch.

It's time.

Top Bottom