Archer: Chidobe Awuzie wasn't going to act like 'sucker' on Marshawn Lynch tackle

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Chidobe Awuzie wasn't going to act like 'sucker' on Marshawn Lynch tackle
11:46 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- When Chidobe Awuzie saw Marshawn Lynch coming toward him in the second quarter of the Dallas Cowboys' win against the Oakland Raiders last week, he did not have a decision to make.

"Real ball players, when the play snaps, you just do your job," Awuzie said. "I'm not going to make a business decision or do anything like that; I'm going to do my job and that was to stop him where I hit him and make sure he didn't get any more yards, and I think I did a pretty good job of that. If you're on that football field, you should be able to do everything, you should want to do everything, love to do everything. That's all part of it. People who really love football, that's the type of plays you're going to get. They ain't going to make no business decision.”

There have been contact-averse defensive backs in the NFL for years. Awuzie, the Cowboys’ second-round pick, didn’t back down. Awuzie is listed at 202 pounds. Lynch is 215 pounds and one of the toughest runners to tackle in the NFL.

The collision sent Awuzie backward, but Lynch did not gain any more yards after contact. And Awuzie popped up quickly enough to see Lynch stick his tongue out at him. His willingness to stand strong against Lynch earned him praise from teammates and coaches.

“Maybe line 1 with him is the demeanor with which he plays and we saw that in college, played a lot of different spots for them at Colorado, was regarded as the leader of the secondary, leader of the defense there,” coach Jason Garrett said. “So that’s one of the things we really liked about him. We didn’t get a chance to see him for a lot of the year because of his injury, but he always went about it the right way. He was preparing to play. Since he’s gotten a chance here the last few weeks, I think we’ve seen a lot of things that we liked about him coming out of school. A lot of that is the demeanor, the physicality, the competitive spirit."

So what is the sensation that comes with such a hit?

"Loud. My neck is still stiff a little bit," Awuzie said. "It was very loud, very forceful, big. I bounced up pretty quick. Had to. Can't be looking like no sucker."

Cujo

DCC 4Life
He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.
Same here, I might even have to learn how to pronounce his name. Bummer that he couldn't play a full season, it may have made a difference in a couple of games, definitely worth a second round pick so far as long as he can stay on the field.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Same here, I might even have to learn how to pronounce his name. Bummer that he couldn't play a full season, it may have made a difference in a couple of games, definitely worth a second round pick so far as long as he can stay on the field.
Just call him Cheeto.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Try. A woozie and that will get his name.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The competition has a little to do with that but our secondary definitely has a different feel to it with Lewis and Chido back there. And it seems to have Brown playing better as well.

kidd

DCC 4Life
You know he was gonna be good when he's brought out like this:

Cotton

Staff member
Yep, I'm really excited about him and Lewis locking down our corner spots for a long time.
Speaking of Lewis...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of Lewis...

Yep, he has been an excellent third round pick. Which isn't surprising, he was really good in college.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
a PI in the end zone and two touchdowns surrendered to a mediocrity like Crabtree. hopefully the past isn't prelude.

Top Bottom