Seahawks Stuff...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Really sucks about Irving although I guess there isn't really anything anybody can do about it with how the protocol works.

data

Forbes #1
Irving’s hurting his own pocketbook with the next contract.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Irving’s hurting his own pocketbook with the next contract.
I don't really think he has much choice in the matter.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys can return to formula with Ezekiel Elliott back
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- There is a fine line between being stubborn and sticking to one's beliefs.

With the return of Ezekiel Elliott from a six-game suspension, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott admitted something his coaches weren't so ready to say when they initially lost their lead running back to NFL discipline.

"I think we went, and like you said, took it for granted, tried to just run the same offense as if Zeke was in the game or on the team, and he wasn't and things were different," Prescott said. "It wasn't the same aggressiveness, it wasn't the same just tempo, and what is the word I'm looking for, demeanor, I guess. And then we figured out what works best for us. We got it going there."

That's not a knock on Alfred Morris or Rod Smith. That's just the truth.

Elliott is one of the best running backs in the NFL. Morris and Smith did a solid job filling in during his absence. The Cowboys' running game was still effective, averaging 121 yards per game, which would have been ranked in the top 10 in the league, but it was not dynamic.

Without Ezekiel Elliott "it wasn't the same aggressiveness, it wasn't the same just tempo, and what is the word I'm looking for, demeanor, I guess," Dak Prescott said. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
And since the running game wasn't dynamic, the passing game lost some of its bite, too.

Only once in Elliott's absence did Prescott throw for more than 212 yards in a game.

"I think the guys who have been running have done an awesome job," Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin said, "but it's in the back of your mind when 21 is in the backfield. I know defenses are thinking about that. I know he's excited to get out there and play, and we're excited to see him."

Prescott said Wednesday's practice had, "a lot of juice."

"I'm not going to say it was exuding from Zeke or it wasn't because of Zeke, but it was a good vibe," Prescott said. "I don't know if it's the wins in a row, or it's that plus Zeke back, or we're just excited for the position we're in or not, but we're happy, and this team is happy, and we have a good attitude moving forward."

There has to be a natural guard against the Cowboys viewing Elliott's return as the conquering hero. Last week in Green Bay, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers wanted to avoid that thought.

"Hopefully it gives a lift to some of the guys, but I'm not coming back to save this team," Rodgers said last week. "I'm coming back to play quarterback the way I know how to play it. Hopefully we all raise the level of our play collectively and find a way to win these three games."

The Packers lost to the Carolina Panthers, saw their playoff chances fold the next day and put Rodgers on injured reserve Tuesday.

The Cowboys have been in a similar win-or-else for the last three games and need to at least win the next two games to have any chance of making the playoffs.

Elliott's return should make the lives of everybody easier.

"It just makes our offense that much better, that much more powerful," Prescott said. "It's hard to scheme and play us. You can load the box if you want. The way we've been going in pass game, we'll beat you that way. If you want to lighten the box up and let him go, we'll do that too. It just makes this offense that much more powerful."

When the Cowboys' offense takes the field Sunday against the Seahawks, there will be a buzz. The fans will be yelling, "Zeeeeeeeeeke," in unison. They will be waiting for his first "feed me" gesture. They will wait to see how he will celebrate a touchdown, although jumping in the oversize Salvation Army bucket is still a no-no.

Defenses might die a death by paper cuts with Morris and Smith running the ball, but the blows from Elliott are different.

"That's something that can't be mimicked," Prescott said. "I think I've talked about that when he was gone, how an Alfred run, an 8-yard run is different from a Zeke 8-yard run. It's something we feed off of, it's something the crowd feeds off of, and I think the team feeds off the way the crowd gets excited over Zeke's 8-yard run because it's physical. You think it's a 3-yard or maybe a no gain and the next thing you know he's bullied his way to 5 extra yards. It's a tempo-setter. It's almost a bully type of mindset as an offense [that] you can do whatever you want as that type of runner. It's contagious."

data

Forbes #1
I don’t know what to think of this game. I can see Seattle doing everything to stop the run in the 1st qtr and we are too stubborn to do anything but continuingto run Zeke into a brick wall. On the other hand, I can see us coming off with 5 straight PA passes and looking like straight geniuses.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don’t know what to think of this game. I can see Seattle doing everything to stop the run in the 1st qtr and we are too stubborn to do anything but continuingto run Zeke into a brick wall. On the other hand, I can see us coming off with 5 straight PA passes and looking like straight geniuses.
I wonder what Seattle's psyche will be in this game. I know Seattle is a veteran team and they are much more likely to come out very determined, but there have been a lot of teams over the years that have had a lot of trouble overcoming a spanking like that.

It's interesting too because they are in a very similar position as us for the post season. This is essentially a playoff game - the loser is out, the winner is at the very least still alive. And given the recent histories of these teams, if everything else is roughly equal, I'd trust Seattle much more in these circumstances.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really think he has much choice in the matter.
Concussions are so difficult. I understand and believe him when he is saying he is still having headaches but the problem is it's not something you can really see and it doesn't impact a players ability to play on the field. I'm sure a ton of these players who get a concussion and are on the field the next week simply tell their team that they feel great all the while still having head aches and such. I just want Irving to play. And frankly we could really use him because he is our fastest DT and we are facing a QB who is really good at running.

Cotton

Staff member
Concussions are so difficult. I understand and believe him when he is saying he is still having headaches but the problem is it's not something you can really see and it doesn't impact a players ability to play on the field. I'm sure a ton of these players who get a concussion and are on the field the next week simply tell their team that they feel great all the while still having head aches and such. I just want Irving to play. And frankly we could really use him because he is our fastest DT and we are facing a QB who is really good at running.
I'm pretty sure a doctor can tell if symptoms still exist from a concussion, and the player has to be cleared by an independent doctor before they can play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure a doctor can tell if symptoms still exist from a concussion, and the player has to be cleared by an independent doctor before they can play.
I don't know how true that is a week or two after a concussion.

Cotton

Staff member

#noshit

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

midswat

... soon

#noshit
JFC Linehan just undermined Garrett’s coy attempts to throw the Seahawks off.

data

Forbes #1
independent doctor. But investigations and suspension all Goodell.

Why cant Goodell tell us what he sees in the x-rays, Jerruh-style?

Cotton

Staff member
independent doctor. But investigations and suspension all Goodell.

Why cant Goodell tell us what he sees in the x-rays, Jerruh-style?
If we allowed that, every player all the Dallas team would be on IR tomorrow with concussions.

Cotton

Staff member
By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter:mad:SportsDayDFW

Predictions for Sunday's Cowboys-Seahawks game from The Dallas Morning News' panel of experts:

Tim Cowlishaw

Two teams on the brink have been going different directions in recent weeks. But a Cowboys secondary that looked lost against Michael Crabtree will be in trouble against Doug Baldwin, Jimmy Graham and the work of Russell Wilson, who has never missed the playoffs. Seahawks, 26-23.

Brandon George

This is a playoff elimination game for both teams. The Cowboys will be on a high with the return of Ezekiel Elliott after the running back returned from Cabo and his six-game suspension. The Seahawks, meanwhile, have a beat-up defense that has allowed 72 total points in back-to-back losses. Dallas should pull away late as Zeke milks the clock. Cowboys, 31-22.

Kate Hairopoulos

The Cowboys are going to feed Zeke, all right. But while his return pumps up Dallas, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks could still give the defense headaches. Will Seattle look like the team that ended Philadelphia's nine-game win streak, or the one that lost the past two to the Jaguars and Rams? Dallas finds a way to keep its slim playoff hopes alive at home on Christmas Eve. Cowboys, 24-21.

Barry Horn

The Cowboys' "will they or won't they make the playoffs" drama ends this week on their home turf in front of, naturally, a national television audience. Welcome back, Zeke. Seattle, with the same 8-6 record as the Cowboys, comes off last week's humiliating 42-7 loss to the Los Angeles Rams to effectively end the Cowboys' season. Zeke gets 200 yards in total offense, but it's not enough. Seahawks, 28-26.

Jon Machota

Containing Russell Wilson will be the Cowboys' biggest challenge. The Pro Bowl quarterback hasn't been great in his previous three games against Dallas, though. Yes, the Seahawks are 2-1, but Wilson only has two touchdown passes to two interceptions in those games. He's also averaging only 162 passing yards per game to go along with a 77.2 passer rating. Cowboys, 28-21.

David Moore

Ezekiel Elliott is going to lose his bet with Eric Dickerson. The Cowboys running back will not hang 200 yards on the Seattle defense. But 100-plus is nothing to sneeze at in this holiday season. Elliott's return is enough to keep the Cowboys' flickering playoff hopes alive. Cowboys, 24-20.

Kevin Sherrington

Now that Zeke's back, we get to see what might have been. Chances of making the playoffs now are almost nil, but there's still time for the Cowboys to do some reckoning for next year. Namely, is this offense still right for the personnel? The Seahawks aren't themselves these days, but they can still be pretty good, which affords Dak Prescott's bunch a good test. Cowboys, 27-21.

Bob Sturm

Cowboys have too much up front for the decimated Seattle defense. I expect a physical day, and if they can stay ahead in turnovers, the Cowboys should be in good shape to ensure a winning record. Cowboys, 27-20.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
He's possibly done for the season... I've heard that there may have been lingering affects from an earlier incident that he was less than forthcoming about.

Top Bottom