Archer: Cowboys, Sean Lee have plan to help him stay on field

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys, Sean Lee have plan to help him stay on field
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

When Sean Lee sat out the second drive of the third quarter in Sunday’s win over the New York Giants, alarms went off.

Did he aggravate the hamstring injury that forced him to miss five full games and parts of two others?

“And that’s appropriate, too,” Lee said. “It’s been one thing after the next with me in a lot of injuries.”

With Lee having missed the previous three games because of the hamstring strain, the Dallas Cowboys athletic training staff came up with a plan to ease him back into the lineup. He played every series in the first half but was kept out of a third-quarter series with Anthony Hitchens playing on the weak side and Jaylon Smith at middle linebacker.

“Coming back from an injury, just making sure I’m fresh and ready,” Lee said. “We’ve got guys that can go in and play really, really good football, so just making sure I’m fresh until I get my legs back under me. Game legs and get in game shape. I was off for about three or four weeks, so we’ve got guys who can come in and make a ton of plays.”

Lee played in 66 of 80 snaps against the Giants and had two of the game’s biggest plays with a 9-yard tackle for loss and an interception in the fourth quarter. In the five full games he played before the New York contest, he played in 293 of 315 snaps, getting pulled for 17 snaps in the blowout win against the San Francisco 49ers. In the other four games he played in all but five snaps.

Lee, whom the coaches credited with 20 tackles against the Giants, said he could follow a similar plan this week against the Oakland Raiders.

“We’ll see what we do, and I think it can change game to game,” Lee said, “but I know I just have to find a way to stay in every game and be a part of every game.”

Top Bottom