User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cavanaugh: Post-combine Cowboys draft preview – Who you should (and shouldn't) hope for

Well and to be fair our scouts still seem to rank NT types highly on our boards. We just overrule them on draft day because our coaches think that they can find those traits easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    At the end of the day Jerry and Stephen don't have any sort of guiding football philosophy that they developed independently, they just rely on whoever is around them.
    They follow contemporary football theories meant for the superficial fan.

QB. Rush the QB. Protect the QB. Receivers for the QB. CB's for the Receivers. Blah, blah and blah.

All the other positions don't matter except maybe RB because they can start right away, and yes they take pressure off the QB.

They just don't get how all positions feed off each other. Superior talent (P/K, LS notwithstanding) is to be coveted at any starting position.

Failing in that pursuit is idiotic and one of the biggest reasons we've been in a 23 year dry spell for the NFC title game.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Luckily McClay knows his shit for the most part and is able to guide us in the right direction as far as the draft goes.
    He's giving us a puncher's chance.

According to most scouting reports I've read, after Vea and Payne the overall talent level drops off as far as pass rush/run stuffing. I know there's other options out there but I'm not sure how effective they would be. I.E.- Settle, BJ Hill, Senat, to name a few.
    On the flip side I'm not sure if we should take Hernandez at #19 and set the interior of our O-line for the next decade

Quote Originally Posted by Couchcoach View Post
    According to most scouting reports I've read, after Vea and Payne the overall talent level drops off as far as pass rush/run stuffing. I know there's other options out there but I'm not sure how effective they would be. I.E.- Settle, BJ Hill, Senat, to name a few.
    On the flip side I'm not sure if we should take Hernandez at #19 and set the interior of our O-line for the next decade
    I'm not sure the drop off is really as significant as they make you believe. This is a really stellar NT class. And frankly I'm not that high on Payne. His overall resume does not justify a first round pick in my opinion. It's a lot of dancing at the line of scrimmage. And yes I know he had a couple awesome games in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I'm not sure the drop off is really as significant as they make you believe. This is a really stellar NT class. And frankly I'm not that high on Payne. His overall resume does not justify a first round pick in my opinion. It's a lot of dancing at the line of scrimmage. And yes I know he had a couple awesome games in the playoffs.
    And that's where I get hung up on Payne. I know he's athletic and had a big combine and playoff performance. But his stats at Bama just aren't impressive.

And that's where I get hung up on Payne. I know he's athletic and had a big combine and playoff performance. But his stats at Bama just aren't impressive.
    I've watched some cut ups of him and it's not impressive at all. He didn't even knock guys back into the backfield. He just sort of sat at the line of scrimmage heads up with the center and then would try to make the tackle 4 yards down field. Now maybe that's just the Alabama scheme but God it's so much different then what we do with our NT. And frankly it showed off almost none of his ability. If I were picking between Payne in the first or Senat in the third. I'd far prefer Senat. Watch that guy play, he was a terror.

That's what I've heard. Several reports say Senat has a great combo of strength and speed, and makes things happen in the backfield. Sounds like a solid pick in the third or fourth. That would free us up for other picks earlier for DB, G, WR

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I want nothing to do with Payne. Either Vea at 19 or wait until the mid-rounds for a solution at 1T.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    That's what I've heard. Several reports say Senat has a great combo of strength and speed, and makes things happen in the backfield. Sounds like a solid pick in the third or fourth. That would free us up for other picks earlier for DB, G, WR
    Senat has become a pet cat of mine. He would be my first choice outside of Vea in the first.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

10. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Senat has become a pet cat of mine. He would be my first choice outside of Vea in the first.
    I agree. I love that Senat is more than just a slug in the middle. He actually has some pass rush ability. I think he is a much better fit for the slanted 1 technique in our defense than your standard heads up one like some of the other guys.