2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's actually playing better than I expected but that's because I expected a complete shit show from him.

For the life of me I never understand why a large number of Aggie fans were actually excited and hyped that Trevor Knight transferred to A&M It was as if the only Trevor Knight game they've seen was the 2014 Sugar Bowl against Bama.
After what happened with Murray and Allen, Knight was the only hope most had.

I will give him this he seems to have brought some much-needed leadership that was sorely lacking the last 2 years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Between his 25 step drop, not stepping up into the pocket, and constantly throwing into double coverage I'm convinced he's going to give me a heart attack this season
It's his accuracy that kills me he has missed wide open receivers for TD's at least 10 times this year.

Kirk has also been a bit of a disappointment.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Try scoring 55 and still losing.
That could happen to us next week.

In fact, I totally expect a game similar to Baylor/TCU 2014 next week between UT and OU.
[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

In fact, I totally expect a game similar to Baylor/TCU 2014 next week between UT and OU.
I agree. It'll be one of those 48-44 type games. Last team with the ball wins.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

That Baylor-TCU game in 2014 was great. I was watching the game at the Frisco Mall and the food court has a giant, two sided tv monitor and had the game on. One side had Baylor fans, and the other side had TCU fans. And neither spoke to each other.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My guess is that UT will be all over Tom Herman as well.

How would you like to be him right now? He's going to have some of the very best jobs in the country lining up at his door ready to back up the Brinks truck for him.

D

Deuce

My guess is that UT will be all over Tom Herman as well.

How would you like to be him right now? He's going to have some of the very best jobs in the country lining up at his door ready to back up the Brinks truck for him.
LSU as well.

Best part for him is he's already getting $3M and if Houston gets in the B12, it jumps to find. That's a lot of money these schools need to beat.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
LSU as well.

Best part for him is he's already getting $3M and if Houston gets in the B12, it jumps to find. That's a lot of money these schools need to beat.
It's gonna come down to Texas and LSU.

He's certainly a hot commodity, but our offense is actually pretty damn good. We need a defensive coach, but I won't complain if we get Herman.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Tennessee makes their first ever trip to College Station this week. My Vols are 5-0 but have trailed by double digits in 4 of those 5 games. Last two weeks beat SEC division rivals UF after trailing 21-3 and at UGA on the wild hail mary finish after trailing 17-0 in the first half.

Solid defense but has three starters out with injuries. Offense likes to run with Jalen Hurd at RB. QB Josh Dobbs is a running threat with lots of short passes. He makes Dak look like Dan Fouts when he passes downfield. One big weapon is Evan Berry, younger brother of Chiefs DB Eric Berry. He led the nation in KO returns last year.

It's usually tough to win at College Station and I think TN could be in trouble coming off the emotional win last week at Georgia having to go on the road again. Not to mention they have Alabama next week. Should be interesting but I think A&M pulls it out.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Interesting story about why Adrian Peterson chose Oklahoma over Texas:

-----------------------------------------------------

Adrian Peterson reveals how the Texas Longhorns blew their shot at signing him

We knew of Manziel and RG3. Here's how Mack Brown blew the recruitment of Adrian Peterson

By Aaron Torres | Fox Sports
Oct 7, 2016 at 12:20p ET

Over the years, a tiny little narrative formed around Texas’ football program, one that Mack Brown never could seem to shake: He passed on way too many quarterbacks who turned into stars.

You know the names. Robert Griffin III. Johnny Manziel. Jameis Winston. They all wanted to go to Texas, and for various reasons, Brown didn’t land any of them (In Mack’s defense, he did offer scholarships to Manziel and RG3 as defensive backs!).

Yet for all the talk about the quarterbacks, we found out Friday about another player who wanted to go to college in Austin -- a player the Longhorns were lukewarm on. That player was none other than Adrian Peterson -- that’s right, he wanted to go to Texas!

And while the Longhorns did offer him, Brown fumbled through the presentation enough that Peterson, the No. 1 high school player in the country his senior year, had no choice but to cross the Longhorns off his list. Here are the details, from Sports Illustrated’s incredible oral history of the Red River Rivalry.

“My uncle, he played at the University of Texas in '97, '98, four years he played there, played with Ricky Williams and all those guys. I used to go up to the spring games and stuff when I was coming up. I was such a big Texas fan. Everything was UT. I remember standing up top of [the ramp], where the players come out, waiting for my uncle to come out, looking out at the stadium, at the scoreboard and telling myself then, "I'll be back here to play at the University of Texas." I remember speaking those words.

Once I got to my junior year, and I became the No. 1 player in the nation my junior and senior year, my first official offer was from University of Oklahoma. Texas A&M was my second offer and then Texas came in and offered me. I'm still a little salty, but I'm UT all the way in my mind.

I remember going up and talking to Mack Brown and I asked him the same thing I asked all the other coaches I met with: "Hey coach, I grew up here in Texas, grew up watching the Longhorns, my uncle played here. I remember sitting out here and telling myself that hey, one day I'll come here and play and now I have that opportunity. I just want to ask you one thing: If I come here, will I have the opportunity to compete for the starting running back position?" Mack Brown told me, "Well, Adrian, here's the thing: Cedric Benson, he's coming back for his senior year. So we're going to be loyal to him and let him finish out because he's coming back. Once he's gone, then, yeah, we'll open the doors and let you compete for it." I said, "O.K.," and I remember leaving that meeting and I remember X-ing Texas out, which I never thought I'd do.”

Oh. My. Goodness. I’m sure that no one in Austin will get upset after reading this one, huh?

On the one hand, what Brown did was commendable. After all, he was looking out for the player he had, rather than making grandiose promises to a high schooler. Even if Peterson was a high schooler who was the unquestioned best player in the country, Mack could have lied to him, and he didn’t.

However, it’s not like Peterson demanded the starting job -- he just said that he wanted to be considered for the spot. And somehow Mack said no!? How do you do that to the No. 1 player in the country? When all he’s asking for is a spot to compete?

Not to mention that one of the oldest rules in recruiting -- something that everyone from Nick Saban to Urban Meyer to John Calipari have implemented through the years -- is that no player, regardless of class, is guaranteed a starting spot. The best player will play, regardless of age. Heck, isn’t Alabama starting a true freshman at quarterback right now?

It really is incredible to look back on and wonder what the heck Brown was thinking. For all the success that Mack had at Texas, it seems like his time in Austin is starting to be defined by the recruits he missed on, rather than the ones he brought in.

Of course, Peterson got the last laugh. He rushed for 225 yards in his freshman season against Texas in a 12-0 win.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Tennessee makes their first ever trip to College Station this week. My Vols are 5-0 but have trailed by double digits in 4 of those 5 games. Last two weeks beat SEC division rivals UF after trailing 21-3 and at UGA on the wild hail mary finish after trailing 17-0 in the first half.

Solid defense but has three starters out with injuries. Offense likes to run with Jalen Hurd at RB. QB Josh Dobbs is a running threat with lots of short passes. He makes Dak look like Dan Fouts when he passes downfield. One big weapon is Evan Berry, younger brother of Chiefs DB Eric Berry. He led the nation in KO returns last year.

It's usually tough to win at College Station and I think TN could be in trouble coming off the emotional win last week at Georgia having to go on the road again. Not to mention they have Alabama next week. Should be interesting but I think A&M pulls it out.
How good is your defense?

Knight struggles after 2 reads and is very erratic, the RB being out helps a lot but A&M still struggles at time with gap responsibility.

Should be a great game but like you said all of these come from behind victories have to catch with you emotionally at some point.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
How good is your defense?

Knight struggles after 2 reads and is very erratic, the RB being out helps a lot but A&M still struggles at time with gap responsibility.

Should be a great game but like you said all of these come from behind victories have to catch with you emotionally at some point.
I think it'll be close, at halftime I'm thinking 10-10 then Myles and the D take over after a Chief halftime speech like this

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
@texasace

Well Ace the Red River shootout is here and both of us have been pretty silent about it for good reason. Either team can get on a streak or have a meltdown. I will just watch with major apprehension.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

This game has lost so much prestige over the years that we're no longer the ABC game of the day.

We had to settle for being on FOX, but now we're not even on the national FOX feed.

We're on FS1. :lol :sad

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
@texasace

Well Ace the Red River shootout is here and both of us have been pretty silent about it for good reason. Either team can get on a streak or have a meltdown. I will just watch with major apprehension.
I completely expect a game with 80-90 total points scored.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Damnit.

A little less air on that and it could've been a TD.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

This game has lost so much prestige over the years that we're no longer the ABC game of the day.

We had to settle for being on FOX, but now we're not even on the national FOX feed.

We're on FS1. :lol :sad
The longhorns are bringing everything down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom