User Tag List

Thread: Archer: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar

Archer: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension

Sources: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension
    11:30 AM CT
    Todd Archer
    ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- As a number of teams flirted with the idea of making Will McClay their general manager, including the Houston Texans this offseason, the Dallas Cowboys made sure to show their appreciation to their vice president of player personnel.

According to sources, the Cowboys signed McClay to a two-year extension after he declined the opportunity to interview with Houston.

McClay has been one of the more sought-after general manager candidates across the league the past few years, but he has declined the chance to move on. He has been in the organization since 2002 but has been in his role as the chief of the college and pro personnel departments since 2014.

Last season, the Cowboys gave him the vice president of player personnel title. Though it does not carry the powers of a traditional general manager -- that remains Jerry Jones' domain -- he is their leading voice when it comes to personnel.

Since 2014, the Cowboys have drafted four players that have made the Pro Bowl -- Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott -- and 14 players who start or play key roles.

With the Cowboys opting to stay out of the chase for big-name free agents, they have to draft well and develop players. According to Pro Football Focus, the Cowboys had the third-most "homegrown" snaps played in the league last season with 16,808. The Cincinnati Bengals were No. 1 (18,559) and the Green Bay Packers (17,018) were No. 2.

The Cowboys have 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including No. 19 overall in the first round.

2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Sources: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension
    11:30 AM CT
    Todd Archer
    ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- As a number of teams flirted with the idea of making Will McClay their general manager, including the Houston Texans this offseason, the Dallas Cowboys made sure to show their appreciation to their vice president of player personnel.

According to sources, the Cowboys signed McClay to a two-year extension after he declined the opportunity to interview with Houston.

McClay has been one of the more sought-after general manager candidates across the league the past few years, but he has declined the chance to move on. He has been in the organization since 2002 but has been in his role as the chief of the college and pro personnel departments since 2014.

Last season, the Cowboys gave him the vice president of player personnel title. Though it does not carry the powers of a traditional general manager -- that remains Jerry Jones' domain -- he is their leading voice when it comes to personnel.

Since 2014, the Cowboys have drafted four players that have made the Pro Bowl -- Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott -- and 14 players who start or play key roles.

With the Cowboys opting to stay out of the chase for big-name free agents, they have to draft well and develop players. According to Pro Football Focus, the Cowboys had the third-most "homegrown" snaps played in the league last season with 16,808. The Cincinnati Bengals were No. 1 (18,559) and the Green Bay Packers (17,018) were No. 2.

The Cowboys have 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including No. 19 overall in the first round.

Nothing to complain about on this one.

Better than Jerry being in charge but I'm not so sure we don't overrate him a bit. McClay that is.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    Better than Jerry being in charge but I'm not so sure we don't overrate him a bit. McClay that is.
    We've drafted better under McClay than I can ever remember. I have no complaints other than our shitty free agency strategies. I think the guy is doing the best possible given his circumstances. This team is very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    We've drafted better under McClay than I can ever remember. I have no complaints other than our shitty free agency strategies. I think the guy is doing the best possible given his circumstances. This team is very talented.
    Best since Jimmy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    I am not uncertain about it. We completely do.

He is not in charge. He is a navigator. Jerry can still take the wheel and crash the ship into the rocks any time he wants to.

His biggest charm is that he is smarter than Ciskowski was.

Sounds like some of you are hung up on titles.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    I am not uncertain about it. We completely do.

He is not in charge. He is a navigator. Jerry can still take the wheel and crash the ship into the rocks any time he wants to.

His biggest charm is that he is smarter than Ciskowski was.
    Overrate his title. Not his ability to make impactful, positive changes.
    Last edited by vince; 03-03-2018 at 11:55 AM.

This was needed. Now if they could just send Marinelli on a vacation between now an May.