BTB: Cowboys playoff picture and rooting guide after the win over Washington

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You think the Eagles are going to rest their starters with us needing a win to get in? I dont. Maybe once they get the game under control. Didnt we play our starters against them a few years ago when they were trying or am I remembering that wrong? As far as Garrett the only way he is gone is if they lose. Short term failure for a long term solution (possibly). I will put up with a few weeks in a wierd year for that to come to true. Now I know that is most likely not going to happen now that they won last night but I have to have hope.
I have no idea what the Eagles head coach would do but last year we put Sanchez in at QB and lost to the Eagles in the last game of the season.

As far as Garrett, I'm not saying you're a fake fan or anything, I just think you're operating under flawed logic. You assume that Garrett will be fired if we go 6-10 but won't if we go 10-6. But the truth is it is the same Garrett either way. If Garrett isn't good enough with a 6-10 team he isn't good enough with the same 10-6 team. Meaning either way he deserves to be fired. And either way Jerry probably isn't going to fire him. Jerry didn't fire him when he went 4-12 because "Romo got hurt" and I don't think he will fire him if we go 6-10 because "Zeke was unfairly suspended."

So ultimately I'd rather win with Garrett and enjoy winning football games as opposed to losing with Garrett and enduring the embarrassment. All while still having Garrett return next year. And lets say Jerry does wise up and fires Garrett after this year, the scary thing is Jerry has really only hired 2 good head coaches his entire tenure here. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. So as bad as I want Garrett out I also don't have much faith we will sign the next McVay.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I have no idea what the Eagles head coach would do but last year we put Sanchez in at QB and lost to the Eagles in the last game of the season.

As far as Garrett, I'm not saying you're a fake fan or anything, I just think you're operating under flawed logic. You assume that Garrett will be fired if we go 6-10 but won't if we go 10-6. But the truth is it is the same Garrett either way. If Garrett isn't good enough with a 6-10 team he isn't good enough with the same 10-6 team. Meaning either way he deserves to be fired. And either way Jerry probably isn't going to fire him. Jerry didn't fire him when he went 4-12 because "Romo got hurt" and I don't think he will fire him if we go 6-10 because "Zeke was unfairly suspended."

So ultimately I'd rather win with Garrett and enjoy winning football games as opposed to losing with Garrett and enduring the embarrassment. All while still having Garrett return next year. And lets say Jerry does wise up and fires Garrett after this year, the scary thing is Jerry has really only hired 2 good head coaches his entire tenure here. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. So as bad as I want Garrett out I also don't have much faith we will sign the next McVay.
I think if we don't make the playoffs, the fanbase is going to rightfully demand change at the coaching level. It took 3 losses in a row for this staff to make changes - and it was only on the defensive side! Same ole, same ole on offense. So we'll see. If Linehan doesn't do something we're not going to rip off 4 more in a row. If they don't, I hope the coaches go because they are the ones largely responsible for our record. They have cost us at least - at least - 3 of the 6 losses.

If we make the playoffs, then it's hard to argue that coaching eventually helped right the ship and they deserve to stay and see if they can punch through next year.

So that's my take on it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

The one thing I do know is that the more they lose the closer he is to getting fired. I really don't expect it to happen this year at all. I don't really expect it all but I rather take a lottery chance then put up with what I know isn't going to happen. One day his contract will run out and maybe it will get better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The one thing I do know is that the more they lose the closer he is to getting fired. I really don't expect it to happen this year at all. I don't really expect it all but I rather take a lottery chance then put up with what I know isn't going to happen. One day his contract will run out and maybe it will get better.
You're either hoping for a miracle that Garrett figures it out this season or hoping for a miracle that Garrett is fired and that we hire the right guy.

I'd rather the miracle that means we win this season over the miracle that means we endure another four weeks of embarrassment. I get the idea of losing short term to win long term. I totally understand that. I just think it's a flawed plan. I'd rather Garrett suck less than to suck more because I don't think he goes anywhere regardless. At this point I'm really just hoping for some new assistant coaches next year. WR's coach, Defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator would all be great starts.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Exactly.

That's exactly what it is.

I don't think it'll happen, but I know the heat mounts and the questions keep arising the more that they fall apart.

He's bought himself some reprieve for now, but at this time yesterday, Garrett and Jerry Jones were under the most heat they have been under since Garrett became the coach.

I know it's going to take a lot for Jerry Jones to ever fire him, but I also know he isn't going to be the coach forever either.

A breaking point does exist. You're just hoping that if enough goes wrong this season, we might actually see it.

Hoping for that beats crossing our fingers and wishing that the Cowboys are going to pull some super miracle that we all know they cannot pull.....This team is nowhere near good enough to win their final five games and do anything in the playoffs. So why would you hope for that which going forward actually hurts the team more than helps them?

I don't need them to go 7-9. That accomplishes nothing. Garrett gets to stay, the young players get no playoff experience, and our draft position suffers.

So since I'm smart enough to know that it is impossible that this team is going to go to the playoffs, might as well hope they hit rock bottom.

If Garrett doesn't get fired, at least we get a great draft pick out of it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Playoffs don’t matter if Dak only throws for 100 fuckin yards each game. What a joke.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Playoffs don’t matter if Dak only throws for 100 fuckin yards each game. What a joke.
Some folks are so desperate to believe that he's actually getting better that they are taking a game in which he only threw for 102 yards and completed 50% of his passes and pointing to the as some sort of evidence the he was "better" last night.

Cut it out.

He was bad again last night. I still like him and have hope for him, but that will have to wait until next year because there is no way he and this offense can be this bad and then turn it completely around in a matter of weeks.

It's not happening.

Last edited:

kidd

DCC 4Life
Some folks are so desperate to believe that he's actually getting better that they are taking a game in education he only threw for 102 yards and completed 50% of his passes and pointing to the as some sort of evidence the he was "better" last night.

Cut it out.

He was bad again last night. I still like him and have hope for him, but that will have to wait until next year because there is no way he and this offense can be this bad and then turn it completely around in a matter of weeks.

It's not happening.
I think hell may have frozen over because I actually agree with you on a QB.

I too hope he gets better but last night was no indication that he is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's not happening.
QB rating of 93.4 is bad now? I mean come on. At minimum it was an efficient night.

But I'm not sure how you can claim the guy can't rebound when the first 8 games of the season he played great. Like those 3 games are what matter and the other 8 don't? A minimum with the return of Zeke and Tyron Smith you can expect his numbers to get much closer to what he did those first eight games than the last 4. So survive the next 2 games and you're back to that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Some folks are so desperate to believe that he's actually getting better that they are taking a game in education he only threw for 102 yards and completed 50% of his passes and pointing to the as some sort of evidence the he was "better" last night.

Cut it out.

It's not happening.
He is experiencing sophamoritis. It was predictable after such a brilliant rookie year. It was almost impossible for him to duplicate his first year and the mental pressures of trying are just too much. Not to mention the movers and shakers on the OL aren’t able to perform at the same levels. That said he should reach a cross road soon an either start and upward trend or crash and burn. I predict he will deal with it and get back to form.

Rev

Staff member
You're either hoping for a miracle that Garrett figures it out this season or hoping for a miracle that Garrett is fired and that we hire the right guy.

I'd rather the miracle that means we win this season over the miracle that means we endure another four weeks of embarrassment. I get the idea of losing short term to win long term. I totally understand that. I just think it's a flawed plan. I'd rather Garrett suck less than to suck more because I don't think he goes anywhere regardless. At this point I'm really just hoping for some new assistant coaches next year. WR's coach, Defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator would all be great starts.
Well I'm hoping that we hire the right guy. Thats at least a chance. What we have now is a 7 year pattern of failure. Why would I hope to continue that? It would be one thing if he was failing because of weird stuff but its not. Its simple football 101 that he cant grasp. Stupid shit that is just infuriating and it happens year after year. Why would anybody want to continue with that?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I'm hoping that we hire the right guy. Thats at least a chance. What we have now is a 7 year pattern of failure. Why would I hope to continue that? It would be one thing if he was failing because of weird stuff but its not. Its simple football 101 that he cant grasp. Stupid shit that is just infuriating and it happens year after year. Why would anybody want to continue with that?
Oh don't misunderstand me, I want Garrett out as much as anyone. The path to it isn't hoping that our players are shit though. Or at least I hope it isn't.

Rev

Staff member
Oh don't misunderstand me, I want Garrett out as much as anyone. The path to it isn't hoping that our players are shit though. Or at least I hope it isn't.
I don't think they are shit. I just hope they give up on him and from some of the comments it seemed like that there was a chance. Now since they won its over for now. I will just have to bide my time for a few years and his contract will run out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think they are shit. I just hope they give up on him and from some of the comments it seemed like that there was a chance. Now since they won its over for now. I will just have to bide my time for a few years and his contract will run out.
Luckily we have a lot of young players... Hopefully they will get to see the next head coach in their prime.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So if the Falcons, Seahawks, and Lions ALL peter out and die, we get to limp into the playoffs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Giants is a win and most likely the Raiders are. Its the last two that I have no faith in. Garretts record with games that matter (playoffs and win and in) doesnt give me any hope that its even remotely possible.
Can you imagine it coming down to the last game, Eagles have clinched and play their backups, and still beat us to knock us out of the playoffs? :budd

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
I think if we don't make the playoffs, the fanbase is going to rightfully demand change at the coaching level. It took 3 losses in a row for this staff to make changes - and it was only on the defensive side! Same ole, same ole on offense. So we'll see. If Linehan doesn't do something we're not going to rip off 4 more in a row. If they don't, I hope the coaches go because they are the ones largely responsible for our record. They have cost us at least - at least - 3 of the 6 losses.

If we make the playoffs, then it's hard to argue that coaching eventually helped right the ship and they deserve to stay and see if they can punch through next year.

So that's my take on it.
Fans' opinions don't make a damn bit of difference to Jerry.

Top Bottom