BTB: Cowboys playoff picture and rooting guide after the win over Washington

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cowboys playoff picture and rooting guide after the win over Washington

Yes, we must talk Cowboys playoffs possibilities.
by Dave Halprin Dec 1, 2017, 9:30am CST

If the Dallas Cowboys lost to Washington on Thursday night, the general consensus was their season was over. Conversely, that would mean if they won, then their season would still be alive even if by the slimmest of margins. They won, so for the moment we’re going to treat their season as living, therefore the playoffs are still out there, even if out there is really out there.

Dallas is 6-6 and moved up one spot to ninth in the NFC, but only because Green Bay at 5-6 has yet to play this week. They hold the tiebreaker over Dallas, so worst-case scenario for Dallas, the Pack win, and the other wild card contenders win, and basically everything stays status quo. Dallas would be back in tenth, but with one less week to work with.

There is also a best-case scenario for Dallas.

For playoff rooting purposes, every Cowboys fan should focus on Atlanta (7-4), Seattle (7-4), Detroit (6-5) and Green Bay (5-6). Atlanta and Green Bay hold the tiebreaker over Dallas, so they need to finish at 9-7 or worse for Dallas to overtake them.

This weekend:

Atlanta (home) vs. Minnesota (1 PM ET FOX): Cowboys fans are Vikings fans this weekend. Skol!

Seattle (home) vs. Philadelphia (8:30 PM ET NBC): Suck it up Cowboys fans and root for the... hard... to... say... Eagles.

Detroit (away) vs. Baltimore (1 PM ET FOX): Go Ravens. They will try to hold on to their AFC Wild Card spot and do the ‘Boys a favor.

Green Bay (home) vs. Tampa Bay (1 PM ET FOX): Maybe the Bucs can steal a win, last thing we need is Aaron Rodgers returning with the team still in it. Avoid the rush Green Bay, start losing now.

That’s your weekend rooting guide, if you believe the Cowboys still have a shot.

Here are the current NFC playoff standings:

Eagles 10-1
Vikings (9-2)
Rams (8-3)
Saints (8-3)
Panthers (8-3)
Falcons (7-4)
Seahawks (7-4)
Lions (6-5)
Cowboys (6-6)
Packers (5-6)
Cardinals (5-6)

Personally I rooting for Carson Wentz to break his leg and the Eagles to lose out. Then we could win the division. :tippytoe

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Cowboys playoff picture and rooting guide after the win over Washington

Yes, we must talk Cowboys playoffs possibilities.
by Dave Halprin Dec 1, 2017, 9:30am CST

If the Dallas Cowboys lost to Washington on Thursday night, the general consensus was their season was over. Conversely, that would mean if they won, then their season would still be alive even if by the slimmest of margins. They won, so for the moment we’re going to treat their season as living, therefore the playoffs are still out there, even if out there is really out there.

Dallas is 6-6 and moved up one spot to ninth in the NFC, but only because Green Bay at 5-6 has yet to play this week. They hold the tiebreaker over Dallas, so worst-case scenario for Dallas, the Pack win, and the other wild card contenders win, and basically everything stays status quo. Dallas would be back in tenth, but with one less week to work with.

There is also a best-case scenario for Dallas.

For playoff rooting purposes, every Cowboys fan should focus on Atlanta (7-4), Seattle (7-4), Detroit (6-5) and Green Bay (5-6). Atlanta and Green Bay hold the tiebreaker over Dallas, so they need to finish at 9-7 or worse for Dallas to overtake them.

This weekend:

Atlanta (home) vs. Minnesota (1 PM ET FOX): Cowboys fans are Vikings fans this weekend. Skol!

Seattle (home) vs. Philadelphia (8:30 PM ET NBC): Suck it up Cowboys fans and root for the... hard... to... say... Eagles.

Detroit (away) vs. Baltimore (1 PM ET FOX): Go Ravens. They will try to hold on to their AFC Wild Card spot and do the ‘Boys a favor.

Green Bay (home) vs. Tampa Bay (1 PM ET FOX): Maybe the Bucs can steal a win, last thing we need is Aaron Rodgers returning with the team still in it. Avoid the rush Green Bay, start losing now.

That’s your weekend rooting guide, if you believe the Cowboys still have a shot.

Here are the current NFC playoff standings:

Eagles 10-1
Vikings (9-2)
Rams (8-3)
Saints (8-3)
Panthers (8-3)
Falcons (7-4)
Seahawks (7-4)
Lions (6-5)
Cowboys (6-6)
Packers (5-6)
Cardinals (5-6)

Personally I rooting for Carson Wentz to break his leg and the Eagles to lose out. Then we could win the division. :tippytoe
You want the leg broken on or off the field?

midswat

... soon
:lol @ cowboys fans out there still thinking playoffs for us because we beat a bad redskins team suffering endless injuries in game.

What... next week when we win two in a row against the hapless Giants, will idiots be claiming were Super Bowl bound?

This season is over, ya fucks. We're just kiling our draft position now.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
:lol @ cowboys fans out there still thinking playoffs for us because we beat a bad redskins team suffering endless injuries in game.

What... next week when we win two in a row against the hapless Giants, will idiots be claiming were Super Bowl bound?

Killjoy. It ain't over until it's over fucker. :flip

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Yes.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Yup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'll root for a win next week. And then if we win that game I'll root for a win against the Raiders.

The real question is, if we lose to the Giants, do I just root for losses the rest of the way. No way 9-7 gets you in the playoffs and we'd be better off with a high draft pick and a 6-10 season as opposed to 9-7 and missing the playoffs. Honestly if we lose to the Giants, I'm not sure how closely I'll even watch the games.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'll root for a win next week. And then if we win that game I'll root for a win against the Raiders.

The real question is, if we lose to the Giants, do I just root for losses the rest of the way. No way 9-7 gets you in the playoffs and we'd be better off with a high draft pick and a 6-10 season as opposed to 9-7 and missing the playoffs. Honestly if we lose to the Giants, I'm not sure how closely I'll even watch the games.
I can't see us losing to the Giants. That team has quit and they will be starting a fairly shit QB. If we do, yeah it's over, over, over. The real test will be the Raiders. That's going to be a must win against a team that can punch back. If we can win that, get Zeke back, we should be in shape to win out and maybe, just maybe make some noise in the post-season. But obviously Dak is going to have to come out of his hole these next two games. He still was pretty average last night.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see us losing to the Giants. That team has quit and they will be starting a fairly shit QB. If we do, yeah it's over, over, over. The real test will be the Raiders. That's going to be a must win against a team that can punch back. If we can win that, get Zeke back, we should be in shape to win out and maybe, just maybe make some noise in the post-season. But obviously Dak is going to have to come out of his hole these next two games. He still was pretty average last night.
Yep the Raiders are definitely the real test. A shit defense but one that can bring a real pass rush. Dak is going to have to hang in there and chuck the ball. But if he does it could be a huge confidence booster for him to finish the season.

I don't think we will lose to the Giants but shit you just never know. They still have a ton of defensive talent. Granted their offense is garbage but in a low scoring contest you never know. It's also at New York so it's going to be cold more than likely.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
People think this is so hopeless, but three of the teams currently in the playoff picture on the NFC side are in the same division and have multiple games against each other. As long as there aren't a bunch of ties, we should be in at 10-6. Now you can argue that's a pipe dream but you gotta hope...

Seed Team Record Week 13 Week 14 Week 15 Week 16 Week 17
1 Eagles 10-1 @Seahawks @Rams @Giants Raiders Cowboys
2 Vikings 9-2 @Falcons @Panthers Bengals @Packers Bears
3 Rams 8-3 @Cardinals Eagles @Seahawks @Titans 49ers
4 Saints 8-3 Panthers @Falcons Jets Falcons @Buccs
5 Panters 8-3 @Saints Vikings Packers Buccs @Falcons
6 Falcons 7-4 Vikings Saints @Buccs @Saints Panthers
7 Seahawks 7-4 Eagles @Jaguars Rams @Cowboys Cardinals
8 Lions 6-5 @Ravens @Buccs Bears @Bengals Packers
9 Cowboys 6-6 Redskins (W) @Giants Raiders Seahawks @Eagles
10 Packers 5-6 Buccs @Browns @Panthers Vikings @Lions

Bold games are those against other teams in the top 10 seeds. I am ignoring all teams seeded below the Packers as I think they are done. In fact, I think the Packers are done if you look and their last three games but you never know...

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
People think this is so hopeless, but three of the teams currently in the playoff picture on the NFC side are in the same division and have multiple games against each other. As long as there aren't a bunch of ties, we should be in at 10-6. Now you can argue that's a pipe dream but you gotta hope...

Seed Team Record Week 13 Week 14 Week 15 Week 16 Week 17
1 Eagles 10-1 @Seahawks @Rams @Giants Raiders Cowboys
2 Vikings 9-2 @Falcons @Panthers Bengals @Packers Bears
3 Rams 8-3 @Cardinals Eagles @Seahawks @Titans 49ers
4 Saints 8-3 Panthers @Falcons Jets Falcons @Buccs
5 Panters 8-3 @Saints Vikings Packers Buccs @Falcons
6 Falcons 7-4 Vikings Saints @Buccs @Saints Panthers
7 Seahawks 7-4 Eagles @Jaguars Rams @Cowboys Cardinals
8 Lions 6-5 @Ravens @Buccs Bears @Bengals Packers
9 Cowboys 6-6 Redskins (W) @Giants Raiders Seahawks @Eagles
10 Packers 5-6 Buccs @Browns @Panthers Vikings @Lions

Bold games are those against other teams in the top 10 seeds. I am ignoring all teams seeded below the Packers as I think they are done. In fact, I think the Packers are done if you look and their last three games but you never know...
Giants is a win and most likely the Raiders are. Its the last two that I have no faith in. Garretts record with games that matter (playoffs and win and in) doesnt give me any hope that its even remotely possible.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
From draft positioning and Garrett possibly getting canned to articles about playoff chances. What a difference 24 hours makes.

Rev

Staff member
From draft positioning and Garrett possibly getting canned to articles about playoff chances. What a difference 24 hours makes.

Fickle ... Not me. I remain steadfast in wanting Garrett gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Giants is a win and most likely the Raiders are. Its the last two that I have no faith in. Garretts record with games that matter (playoffs and win and in) doesnt give me any hope that its even remotely possible.
Yeah but Zeke coming back with fresh legs definitely makes things interesting. And the Eagles potentially resting their starters also makes things interesting.

The Raiders are my real worry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fickle ... Not me. I remain steadfast in wanting Garrett gone.
Can I want Garrett canned and the playoffs? That's the option I pick. Draft position is great but we aren't exactly talking top 5 draft pick so the caliber of players aren't probably going to be that massively different.

Rev

Staff member
Yeah but Zeke coming back with fresh legs definitely makes things interesting. And the Eagles potentially resting their starters also makes things interesting.

The Raiders are my real worry.
You think the Eagles are going to rest their starters with us needing a win to get in? I dont. Maybe once they get the game under control. Didnt we play our starters against them a few years ago when they were trying or am I remembering that wrong? As far as Garrett the only way he is gone is if they lose. Short term failure for a long term solution (possibly). I will put up with a few weeks in a wierd year for that to come to true. Now I know that is most likely not going to happen now that they won last night but I have to have hope.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Everyone worried about the Raiders? They suck. If we can't roll them then fuck this team.

What about the Seahawks? That is no gimme even with Zeke back.

Top Bottom