QB Controversy Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And I think you are underestimating the potential cumulative effects of these back injuries as well as the tremendous amount of practice/game time he has missed the past two seasons. I don't think he is completely done as a starting caliber QB, but I also don't think he is just going to step in and be good right away. He may be a veteran even veterans need work. I am just not expecting good things out of the gate. We will likely get the chance to see fairly soon I guess,
I suspect Romo returns for the eagles game right after the bye. I suspect he'll be a bit rusty, but fine. I also suspect they will knock him out of the game, possibly to the extent that Dak finishes the season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of you are way overstating the difficulty Romo will have returning to form once healthy, and way understating how much Dak has to learn.

The biggest question mark is romo's ability to stay healthy. Not whether he can be effective anymore.
I agree to an extent. I mean I don't think Romo's career is over obviously. His arm is still capable of making all the throws and his mind is still sharp. I just don't think he has any ability to take a hit any longer. And the best pass protection in football couldn't protect him from that. All QBs get hit, it's part of the game. When a defense blitzes you need a QB who can stand in the pocket, deliver the ball and take a hit. If Romo can't do that then defenses are going to tee off on your QB with heavy blitzes knowing he can't take the hit.

After this year what kind of trade value do you think Romo would have? Obviously you still think very highly of him, I wonder what we could get in return in a trade. His base salary next year is actually a modest 14 mil, which for a starting QB is reasonable.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I agree to an extent. I mean I don't think Romo's career is over obviously. His arm is still capable of making all the throws and his mind is still sharp. I just don't think he has any ability to take a hit any longer. And the best pass protection in football couldn't protect him from that. All QBs get hit, it's part of the game. When a defense blitzes you need a QB who can stand in the pocket, deliver the ball and take a hit. If Romo can't do that then defenses are going to tee off on your QB with heavy blitzes knowing he can't take the hit.

After this year what kind of trade value do you think Romo would have? Obviously you still think very highly of him, I wonder what we could get in return in a trade. His base salary next year is actually a modest 14 mil, which for a starting QB is reasonable.

It's too bad the Raiders have Derek Carr. A first round pick for 36-year-old bad back Romo is totally a trade the old Raiders would have made.

The only trade situation that makes sense is something like Denver, where they're already elite and just want more security at QB, if Lynch/Siemian completely flame out. Or maybe Los Angeles, where there's a lot of pressure for star power and they may just need a big name if Goff is a bust.

At the end of the day though, Romo is in the family picture, so he's a Cowboy for life.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the end of the day though, Romo is in the family picture, so he's a Cowboy for life.
Yeah, but you can't pay him 14 mil to sit behind Dak next year. Especially not if you can get a draft pick and the 14 mil.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It depends, if he's injured most of the year his value is very diminished.

I wonder if Arizona would have some interest.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends, if he's injured most of the year his value is very diminished.

I wonder if Arizona would have some interest.
Arizona would be a nice fit. Great RB, some decent WRs and an excellent defense. I'd take a healthy Romo 10 times out of 10 over Carson Palmer.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The majority of you seem to be missing the point.

We've been fine so far doing things this way. Nobody is saying otherwise.

But let's say, for instance Green Bay hangs 38 on our defense. Can Dak score 39? That might require him to throw downfield way more.

You people act like he's proven everything there is to prove after 4 whole games.

He's definitely playing Cincinnati and likely GB. Let's see how 2 of his bigger tests go. I suspect he'll do well but let's see.
That is a question that could be asked of any QB and the majority of starters in the NFL would struggle to do so.

Does not seem a very fair criteria to hold Dak too.

I not seen one poster who said Dak has proven everything so I don't know where that came from.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I could see a situation where Romo is overcompensating to prove the point he deserves the job back and really shitting the bed.

He has never been challenged as the starter in Dallas and I am not so sure how he reacts to this new found pressure.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is a question that could be asked of any QB and the majority of starters in the NFL would struggle to do so.

Does not seem a very fair criteria to hold Dak too.

I not seen one poster who said Dak has proven everything so I don't know where that came from.
It would be kinda tough for someone to score 38 on us if we keep controlling the TOP the way we have.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's too bad the Raiders have Derek Carr. A first round pick for 36-year-old bad back Romo is totally a trade the old Raiders would have made.

The only trade situation that makes sense is something like Denver, where they're already elite and just want more security at QB, if Lynch/Siemian completely flame out. Or maybe Los Angeles, where there's a lot of pressure for star power and they may just need a big name if Goff is a bust.

Buffalo, Miami, NYJ, Cleveland, SF, maybe even Minnesota.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
At the six-week mark, Tony Romo's rehab coming along fine
9:25 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Six weeks ago today, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo suffered a compression fracture in his back on a hit from Seattle Seahawks defensive end Cliff Avril.

At the time of the injury, sources said Romo would need six to 10 weeks to recover before he could play again.

So what is Romo doing?

He had an MRI last week that showed encouraging signs. He has been out of what owner and general manager Jerry Jones called the "danger zone" for 2-3 weeks now, and has started to increase his strength and conditioning work. He has thrown passes in pregame for the past three weeks, but he has also thrown passes during the week between his workouts.

"The plan for him is just to continue to progress in his rehab," coach Jason Garrett said. "A lot of his rehab is off the field, it’s doing work for his back. It’s in the training room. It’s with the strength coaches. The next step for him is to throw the ball. He’s thrown it a little bit this week already. He’ll continue to do that."

It is looking as if Romo could be ready to return for Week 8 against the Philadelphia Eagles at AT&T Stadium. Had the Cowboys put Romo on injured reserve in the first week of the season, he would not have been allowed to return until the Nov. 6 game in Cleveland.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said two weeks ago that there is a chance Romo could practice for a week or two and not play, which would allow him more time to build up strength in his back and aid his conditioning.

As Romo returned from his broken collarbone last season, he worked into practice for two weeks before playing against Miami. Though the collarbone might have been healthy, Romo’s timing was off. The Cowboys, however, needed him to play, because they were in the midst of a seven-game losing streak without him.

This season, the Cowboys are 3-1 and Dak Prescott is one of three starting quarterbacks without a turnover this season. The Cowboys can choose to be a little more patient with Romo's return if they want.

Though most outside the organization want to point to an impending debate as to whether Romo or Prescott should be the starting quarterback, Garrett is focused on Romo’s health.

"Like with all our players, when you do work, the biggest thing is how do you respond to the work? How does he feel the day afterwards?" Garrett said. "You make those adjustments as you go."

dallen

Senior Tech
The problem we are going to run into if we want to let him get a week or two of practice in before he steals Dak's spot is that Dak is a rookie and he still has to play those weeks. He is going to need the practice time to prepare.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem we are going to run into if we want to let him get a week or two of practice in before he steals Dak's spot is that Dak is a rookie and he still has to play those weeks. He is going to need the practice time to prepare.
Yeah, I just don't like that. Not if Dak is winning games. Just seems like we are hurting the team because of our appreciation to what Romo has done for us in the past.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Yeah, I just don't like that. Not if Dak is winning games. Just seems like we are hurting the team because of our appreciation to what Romo has done for us in the past.
It's completely idiotic especially considering who we're playing the next two to three games.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What controversy? Just throw it to Beasley.

Top Bottom