QB Controversy Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
There's not really anything Dak can do to earn the job. He'd have to play like the second best QB in the league for an extended number of games. That is because the reality is, Romo is the only one who has earned shit. He has earned the right to come back and play at his consistent Pro Bowl level of play.

What Dak has earned is the right to be on the other end of a short leash and that's all, because it's been three wins against shit opponents with the benefit of a dominant running game.

Until there is reason to believe that Romo won't be Romo of old, or Brady won't be Brady of old, Dak or Garropalo can run up 3-1 or 4-1 or whatever records and then head straight back to the bench.

Romo will, eventually, give way to Dak. But that time isn't now.
Exactly. It's a very high bar that Romo set.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So why do you HAVE to see Tony Romo crash and burn before you can move on? Why can't you just look at Dak and what he has done and say, "you've earned the right to continue to start?" You make it all about Romo and what he can or can't do and what he has or hasn't done. What I'm saying is why should we ignore what Dak has done as a starter?
I don't have to see it the organization needs to see what will happen. You can't just put a multi million QB on the bench and pay him that kind of money. It needs to be resolved from an organizational point of view. Fan sentiment is not the issue. Business decions arethe issue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have to see it the organization needs to see what will happen. You can't just put a multi million QB on the bench and pay him that kind of money. It needs to be resolved from an organizational point of view. Fan sentiment is not the issue. Business decions arethe issue.
Good business is to play the best guy contracts be damned. What you have paid Romo is a sunk cost. Any businessman worth a lick knows that.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Tony Romo as Jets starter? New York already starting the chatter

By SportsDayDFW.com

The New York Jets' quarterback situation is a mess. So that led NJ.com to inquire about who might be a future QB.

And, of course, the Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo came up.

Romo is injured and set to return for Week 8, but rookie Dak Prescott is playing so well, some are wondering if the Cowboys shouldn't just keep Prescott as the starter.
So after a bunch of ifs, here's one more. If Romo were available, would the Jets be interested?

"If that becomes a possibility," one league source told NJ.com, "yes. Absolutely. You have to. No questions asked."

The Jets' current starter Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown 10 picks in four games. They also have Geno Smith, who has never shown he can be a reliable starter. Both are likely to be gone. NJ.com says: "That leaves the Jets with rookie Christian Hackenberg, and last year's fourth-round pick Bryce Petty, as the only quarterbacks under contract heading into the 2017 season."

But what about Romo's age (36) and injury history? When asked if the Jets could look past any injury concerns, a source told the site, "I would think so. He's fragile, no question about it, but the Jets are in a win-now situation. Those guys on that team are old. You can't go into next season with Petty or Hackenberg, unless you make the decision to rebuild."

Romo's massive contract means the Cowboys likely won't cut him (they would take too much of a salary cap hit). So Romo would have to restructure his deal and maybe a trade would have to happen.

"Dallas isn't going to cut him," a second source told NJ.com. "Plus, Jerry loves the guy. He loves Tony. He's not going anywhere."

But as NJ.com pointed out: "It wasn't long ago that the Jets made an improbable trade to acquire an aging Brett Favre from the Packers in 2008."

Would you take a 1st and 3rd?
Yes, without hesitation.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is wrong on so many levels. In no way does having a starting QB who costs $500,000.00 a year cause financial issues. And you certainly don't decide who should start by the paycheck they receive. Not at least if you want to actually win games in the NFL.
In this case it is. The season is one thing but the financial issues have to be addressed at the same time. There is only one way to do this. Put Romo in the lineup to see if he deserves to stay there. That question has to be determined for the future organizational structures. There is a business involved with this situation and it won't take a back burner until the issue is determined. If he is to be dealt away then he will have to be show cased.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Romo will, eventually, give way to Dak. But that time isn't now.
We have all talked about the potential harm of going back to Romo. So let me put it this way, what is the harm in sticking with Dak? Romo will be here this season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We have all talked about the potential harm of going back to Romo. So let me put it this way, what is the harm in sticking with Dak? Romo will be here this season.
There is more involved than choosing a starter. It is what are the issues to be addressed. It is still a business.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because when you read breakdowns of Dak's performances he's missing throws and reads that Romo wouldn't miss just based on experience.
I've seen Romo miss plenty of reads over his career and I've seen him miss plenty of throws. That isn't meant to be a knock on Romo at all, look at his career numbers, they are awesome. But every QB misses throws and reads. It happens all the time. What we judge a QB based on is the reads he does make and the throws he does complete. And across the board the numbers Dak is posting are above Romo's career averages except YPA which is just a hair under Romo's career average. (7.7 vs. 7.8)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The deal with me is if we keep winning with Prescott.

Cincy and GB are definitely superior to what we have played so far.

In a few weeks, we might be begging for Romo to return.

This could very well all take care of itself organically.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

This is very true.

The next two games we are basically in LT mode.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cause he HASN'T earned it. He's won three games. Romo has a career of performances better than Dak's.

You are assuming Romo moving forward is 2015 Romo. But if he's 2014 Romo, Dak hasn't earned the right to play over that. Why would anyone consider what Dak has done -- winning three games and throwing three Tds -- earning ANYTHING over the second best QB in the league? Is New England benching Brady just cause Garrapolo won a couple games? You guys love to run your mouths about Brady after all!

If Romo had an entire 2015 season of sucking like he did against the Panthers, that's another matter. But that's not what happened. He was injured, without a running game, and without Bryant.

And he still went 3-1.
Brady has multiple superbowls and way more skins on the wall, the more apt analogy would be Bledsoe losing his job to Brady.

If Romo had either pedigree or the health history of Brady this conversation would never be happening but he has neither so here we are.

I understand both sides but I go back and forth, part of me wants to see what Romo can do and the other part says that is a waste of time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Which is really what I've been saying. It's just that some people on here think that even if Dak goes 5-1 and continues to be one of the highest rated QBs in the NFL that you still just HAVE to give Romo a shot. At 3-3 I'd probably say let Romo have one last chance at glory.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because when you read breakdowns of Dak's performances he's missing throws and reads that Romo wouldn't miss just based on experience.
Ok this just not true.

I have not read anything close to that but I have read some things saying Dak can throw over the middle better because he does not need the passing angles Romo does because of his 3/4 motion.

IMO neither is a dealbreaker but only 1 is a physical limitation.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The problem with your argument is that you actually save money by cutting Romo so that makes the decision much easier.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem with your argument is that you actually save money by cutting Romo so that makes the decision much easier.
Yeah the obvious business decision would be Dak. It's not really complicated at all. The problem is more the emotional attachment to Romo. He is a well liked guy who most of us loved as a player. I just came to the realization last year that Romo can't take a hit anymore. When the defense is blitzing on third down, Romo can't step up and deliver that ball. And if he does he will get injured. It's why I'm so thrilled with Dak.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I believe I have addressed that. Before you can save money as you say a few things will have to happen. There will need to be an avenue built to shop Romo to a club that might be interested in taking him on. It's not a simple matter of cutting him from the roster. He is under contract and if he is in a position to play the organization has to either play him or bench him. Either way they will have to pay him. If the organization wants to try to peddle him they will have to showcase him to prove he still has marketability. That will likely have to be done under game conditions.

The one thing that will not happen is that the organization cannot just arbitrarily decide not to live with the contract terms and take his pay away just because they want to bench him. Romo's return to the lineup is inevitable. Who knows how that will sift out.

That said I think it is a shame that Prescott has to go back to his backup role but at the moment I don't see a way around it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah the obvious business decision would be Dak. It's not really complicated at all. The problem is more the emotional attachment to Romo. He is a well liked guy who most of us loved as a player. I just came to the realization last year that Romo can't take a hit anymore. When the defense is blitzing on third down, Romo can't step up and deliver that ball. And if he does he will get injured. It's why I'm so thrilled with Dak.
That's pretty much my only issue with the guy and it's what's driving my belief that the Cowboys should just stick with Dak.

I just don't trust him to stay healthy. And as I've said a few times before, it wouldn't surprise me if Romo struggles to make the throws that he used to make. Multiple shoulder and back injuries tend to take some steam off your fastball.

Plus I like the versatility that a mobile QB like Dak adds to the offense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Honestly, I dont play Romo because I want to trade him and not give teams any reason to question trading 1+2rd picks. Roll with Dak whos given you enough reason to have the job the next few years. If he fails then we would be without Romo regardless in 2019

Jiggyfly

Banned
I believe I have addressed that. Before you can save money as you say a few things will have to happen. There will need to be an avenue built to shop Romo to a club that might be interested in taking him on. It's not a simple matter of cutting him from the roster. He is under contract and if he is in a position to play the organization has to either play him or bench him. Either way they will have to pay him. If the organization wants to try to peddle him they will have to showcase him to prove he still has marketability. That will likely have to be done under game conditions.

The one thing that will not happen is that the organization cannot just arbitrarily decide not to live with the contract terms and take his pay away just because they want to bench him. Romo's return to the lineup is inevitable. Who knows how that will sift out.

That said I think it is a shame that Prescott has to go back to his backup role but at the moment I don't see a way around it.
Huh?

What do you think happened to Ware?

Either you have no idea how contracts work in the NFL or you just can't be wrong, I seriously don't know which.

Top Bottom